1997 HZJ75V... Please help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all fellow members.

I have been reading this forum for some time now but this is my first post. I really hope that someone here can help me.

I need help in deciding what car to get. I have narrowed my search to either an HZJ74, HZJ75 OR HZJ77. Main reason being ease of accommodating a 1HD-FTE engine.

Unfortunately, I have been finding it very hard to locate any of these cars in good condition where I am right now; Pakistan. And, import of vehicles older than 3 years is restricted here too. So the only option I have is to wait and search.

Recently, I have found this car. I have not seen it yet but I have been told that it is a 1997 HZJ75 with the 1HZ Engine. Approximately $17,000 American. Driven about 86,000 Kilometers/54,000 Miles.

Used Toyota Land Cruiser 1997 Car for sale in Islamabad - 388938 | Pakwheels

Please take a look and give me your honest opinions as not many people know much about the true value of these cars here in this country. I will be seeing the car tomorrow in person. What sort of things should I look out for in terms of the actual vehicle.?

Is it a sound investment based on its rarity in this country or should I keep searching for the, what seems to me, more off road capable HZJ74, or the 5 door HZJ77? Or is there any particular reason that this would be better than the other two?

Any car I do end up buying will be used for at least the next 30 years on various expeditions around this country.

On a side note, does anyone know if it's possible to fit a 1VD-FTV in any of these cars? Might be a silly question but it's been bugging me for a while and no one here has been able to guide me. Not that I will be fitting that any decade soon.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Shazi.

Well, not being in P-Stan, I cannot give you a handle on pricing on your neck of the woods.

That being said, that's a low mileage truck. I have the same truck, I love my troopie. The truck is rock solid, no power windows, locks or anything. The 1HZ is a great motor and you should have the H55 gearbox with split case that is a solid combo.

Parts availability might be tough depending on what Toyota brings into your market and how good the parts guys are. Some parts are interchangeable with other Toyota LCs and trucks, so there are options.

Upgrading the motor, you can drop a newer motor in there but you will have to have some serious fab skills and you have to tackle the electronics issue. The beauty of the 1HZ is its a mechanical diesel and is simple.

Looks like a great truck, good luck on the hunt:cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

If it is clean and the low mileage is correct, 17.000 is pretty much a steal for it. I'd very carefully look for signs if the odometer was wound back. If there is excessive wear in the seats, pedal pads, foot mats...I'd be suspicious.
cheers,
Jan

Thanks for a quick response. It's good to finally hear about this truck from someone who actually owns one.

Parts, I don't think will be a problem. My line of work is actually auto spare parts. My business is located in Dubai and we have a lot of what we call 'dead stock' there and, I'm sure I can find a lot of genuine, boxed parts there. I can send anyone interested an excel file with all items I have available, if it helps anyone locate something they have been looking for. List extends way back to 60s. If you have the part number, maybe I can help.

So that subject aside. Switching motors was mainly because I wanted an automatic transmission and if I was to go 1HD-T then why not all the way to 1HD-FTE. No complaints about the 1HZ except I'm not sure I could pop an automatic transmission on that.

Okay, so hopefully tomorrow I will see the truck and see how it goes from there.

Thanks again.

Shazi.

Thanks for a quick response. It's good to finally hear about this truck from someone who actually owns one.

Parts, I don't think will be a problem. My line of work is actually auto spare parts. My business is located in Dubai and we have a lot of what we call 'dead stock' there and, I'm sure I can find a lot of genuine, boxed parts there. I can send anyone interested an excel file with all items I have available, if it helps anyone locate something they have been looking for. List extends way back to 60s. If you have the part number, maybe I can help.

So that subject aside. Switching motors was mainly because I wanted an automatic transmission and if I was to go 1HD-T then why not all the way to 1HD-FTE. No complaints about the 1HZ except I'm not sure I could pop an automatic transmission on that.

Okay, so hopefully tomorrow I will see the truck and see how it goes from there.

Thanks again.

Shazi.

The HZJ73 and 74 came with autos behind 1HZs and so did the 80 series,so you could probably use the transmission and parts off them.
The 1HD FT would be the ideal engine as it has no electronics

I have 2xHZJ75,one troopy and one cab chassis. Thats very low mileage for these. I would mainly look out for rust,its the most common problem on the the troopy.
While the HZJ74 may be more slighly more offroad capable,the extra room in the troopy is well worth it.

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the update time.
Thanks everyone for their help.

I ended up buying a 1998 HDJ101. Produced in 03/1998.
It is a Japanese, Local, Pre-Release Model. Mileage about 87,000. Cost about $28,500 American.

Any one know anything important I should know about this car?

Will post pictures soon.

Thanks again,

Shazi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom