1997 factory alarm for 4Runner - would it work in a 1997 Tacoma? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found one used and if the codes are the same I'm going to throw it in my Tacoma.

Can anybody confirm that this will work, or are the codes different for these platforms since the 4Runner has more doors?

Thanks!
S

FWIW I had a 97 4Runner and a 97 Taco at the same time at one point in life, The two button remote worked for both vehilces. They had the same factory alarm. I programmed the top button to work the 4runner and the bottom button to work the taco. It was pretty sweet, It worked on both vehilces. and No if you hit one button, both would not unlock at the same time. They worked on different frequencies.

I would assume if the boxes under the driver seat are the same. it should be plug and play....

FWIW I had a 97 4Runner and a 97 Taco at the same time at one point in life, The two button remote worked for both vehilces. They had the same factory alarm. I programmed the top button to work the 4runner and the bottom button to work the taco. It was pretty sweet, It worked on both vehilces. and No if you hit one button, both would not unlock at the same time. They worked on different frequencies.

I would assume if the boxes under the driver seat are the same. it should be plug and play....

Zetazig: This is great information. I ordered one from a guy off Craigslist. Paid $20 for it; just got it in the mail last week. Then, won an eBay auction for an appropriate year + model key remote; just got it in the mail today. Now I just need to get them all to work! Can you describe what each of the buttons is for? One closest to the top has a bumpy surface, while one at the bottom is smooth. Neither are labeled though. Not sure what they do or if there's a panic button I need to avoid hitting.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply. I had the same questions when I got mine programmed in, and that was 6+ years ago so bear with me.

IIRC, the bottom button was for remote trunk release if you had one (a trunk that is). Since we are talking about a taco/4Runenr there is no trunk, so the bottom button was essentially useless. You could program both top and bottom buttons to unlock or lock the doors so it would not matter what button you hit, you would get the same result.

There were no labels on those buttons.

There are instructions out there on the web on how to program the remotes. They are free, It involves a small, small screw driver/ or dental pick to push in the button below the driver seat, on the alarm module itself.

I cant remember the instructions off hand, but you push in the button under the seat, then push the button on the remote. and it blinks twice or something like that. and you need to have all the doors closed.

It was not hard and took about 10 minutes for both cars. and both remotes.

If I find the procedure I will post up a link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom