1996 Camry oil leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

landtank

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
landtankproducts.com
I've got a 1996 Camry with the 4 cylinder engine. Dusted it off after it's winter nap and took it for a spin around the block. Last year there was an oil leak on the Passenger side but this year it's gotten much worse.

I tore apart the front of the engine and it appears to be the oil pump. Looking at the front of the engine it's behind the front dust cover and to the left of the crank pulley. It has a cogged pulley as it's driven by the timing belt.

Is this indeed the oil pump and anything special I need to know about changing it out?

I'll be putting the car back in service so I'm going to change out the timing belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and possibly the water pump. I bought the car last year and have since put on 20k and this year it will most likely be more.

Thanks for any help

I've changed alot of those out on the Camrys and Lexus es300. It's usually just the front crank seal but I had one come back and bite me. It really was the oil pump o-ring and it was pretty easy. Pump just slides off the end of the crank after the oil pan is pulled to remove the pick up tube. I sometimes run the vehicle w/ all the drive belts removed and the beauty covers to make sure where the leak is. Make sure the bottom(crank)sprocket doesn't walk off the crank or it'll throw the timing belt.

Last edited:
thanks, I talked with Dan and the parts are being shipped out. He's had a few pump o-rings go bad and the shaft seal as well. From your description it looks like your not working on the 2.2L 4 cylinders but the 6 cylinders. I don't think there are any Lexus models with the 4 cylinder putt putts.

Yeah, I realizrd I threw a V6 in mix after I posted it. They seem alot alike though as far as seals and the looks of the oil pump. Good luck.

I just got what sounds like the same leak on my '96 Camry.... Pours out pretty good while running, but nothing when the engine is stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom