1996 2.7 litre timing chain replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Duane

IH8MUD Wookie
Threads
Anyone have any experience how long these last, any benefit from changing them and the gear set or just run them till they fail as I think a 2.7 does not have an interference fit?

3RZ Timing Chain

I specifically asked when my 1998 Taco was in the shop last week, and the shop manager (Parker Toyota, Coeur d'Alene, ID) told me that the 2 & 3rz engines normally go 200,000+ miles on the factory timing set, and the only way you can tell that it needs replaced is when they start making the infamous chain-slapping-the-cover noise like 22r's do....

Anyone have any experience how long these last, any benefit from changing them and the gear set or just run them till they fail as I think a 2.7 does not have an interference fit?

Apparently the 2.7 has a dual timing chain set. Whereas the 3.4 is a timing belt that requires changing around every 90K. That's why the 2.7 is considered one of Toyota's most reliable engines. So you can spend the money on other things. :D

thanks guys for the feedback....I was looking back in time on this forum and found the same conversation....
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=129593

So there you have it... 2.7 litre drive it till it gets real noisy and generally don't worry about the chain in it!:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom