1995 FJ80 Overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates?

I know I'm asking to be mocked mercilessly for posting these pictures of me in this funny looking disposable suit, but it really did help a lot to keep the grease off, but I've gotta tell you folks, having a disposable clown suit like this for rebuilding my front and rear axles and getting all greasy was the best thing since sliced bread. Nothing like taking it off and throwing it away after a 12 hr day and not feeling all greasy. I haven't figured out why they're white though... ;p I think they come in blue and green...perhaps I'll have to try those colors next time :rolleyes:

Some pics of the parts getting a degrease job at the local wash.

Is that even legal to wash off grease at public car washes:confused: I think that stuff needs to be recycled properly. Anyhow I would not do this, just my ten cents. :hmm:

Is that even legal to wash off grease at public car washes:confused: I think that stuff needs to be recycled properly. Anyhow I would not do this, just my ten cents. :hmm:

Me neither. But I am a biologist and witness the consequences. Most people don't care, flush it down the drain and it's out of sight and out of mind.

Commercial car washes are required to discharge wastewater into sewers which route the water to the local municipal wastewater treatment facility. I doubt there is any kind of enforcement, but every city I've lived in does not allow oil/grease/solvents/hazardous waste to be flushed into the sewer system. I don't think wastewater treatment facilities are set up to remove crap, so it just winds up poisoning our environment and our drinking water supply.

I know some border patrol agents that would be very interested in your cargo box...

Me neither. But I am a biologist and witness the consequences. Most people don't care, flush it down the drain and it's out of sight and out of mind.

Commercial car washes are required to discharge wastewater into sewers which route the water to the local municipal wastewater treatment facility. I doubt there is any kind of enforcement, but every city I've lived in does not allow oil/grease/solvents/hazardous waste to be flushed into the sewer system. I don't think wastewater treatment facilities are set up to remove ****, so it just winds up poisoning our environment and our drinking water supply.

I know it blows my mind how careless people can be and you are correct there is probably lots of clue less people that are too lazy to recycle oil/grease/hazardous waste so they flush it down the drains in their homes:bang: people it's time to wake up and use common sense when it comes to stuff like that.:mad: Remember there is only one world so let's treat it with respect and recycle of HAZARDOUS materials will be a good start!!!:bounce: Peace!!!

Commercial car washes are required to discharge wastewater into sewers which route the water to the local municipal wastewater treatment facility... ...I don't think wastewater treatment facilities are set up to remove crap, so it just winds up poisoning our environment and our drinking water supply.

well since this hijack is in full effect - Commercial car washes are required to
route there discharge to wastewater treatment facility so it can be treated, that's
what wastewater treatment plants do. commercial car washes have substantially
less impact on the environment than washing your car in the driveway were the
waste water finds its way untreated into the storm drains...

...sorry if i ruined a perfectly good internet lynching.

Another clue less customer....................................................
bang.gif
Lets think of it this way, if you use alternative ways of recycling/cleaning off gear grease you will leave much smaller footprint that's all. Don't do it because they say that is OK to do so, use your head and think of the consequences of your doing and how it might impact the environment and on the end of the day how it will impact YOU!!!

clueless is one word....

...oh the irony. :D

Yes, and WWTP use a biological process to break down the ****, and most have a process that catches the grease, etc. On the front end, but antifreeze and other products will kill the "bugs" that break down the organics. While I agree that proper disposal is best, most WWTP will treat this. Unless the plant is in pretty bad shape, they will catch this stuff and most likely it will end up in the bin with the other non-organics in either the screenings or the sludge.

Now don't get me wrong, if everybody did it, then it would cause problems, but that is why most cities have pre-treatment requirements for these types of facilities.

:doh: it is a holiday, but I can't seem to get work off the brain...

:cheers: happy Labor Day folks.

But back to the OP, is there a reason why you didn't make the box go from frame rail to frame rail? Does the gas filler get in the way? I like this idea, but have you noticed it being a problem to access with the cruiser loaded down with gear?

You guys...keep this tech...not chit chat about cleaning parts at car washes.

This does the OP no good at all with his build thread.

It's important to familiarize oneself with laws and proper chemical storage, disposal, etc... That's one reason shops charge so much, I assume, because they are bound by such laws, inspected, etc...

I frequently wonder why cities or universities don't provide a fee-based auto facility for DIY'ers like the military does on bases.

Anyway, I'm constantly amazed at what people will think up and do with their Cruisers. When I heard the term drop box in this thread I imagined a simple box that you rigged up in place of the spare tire and could raise and lower to access. Cutting a hole in the rear and inserting a deep storage box is good stuff.

Looking forward to progress updates!

That box is very cool, but yes as someone already mentioned, boarder patrol will be all over it. It's no big deal, but if you cross into Mexico or Canada be prepared to open it up for them.

Commercial car washes are required to discharge wastewater into sewers which route the water to the local municipal wastewater treatment facility.

There's a Breaking Bad episode that covers this topic. I would encourage anyone looking to further their knowledge on this subject to check-it-out.

Everyone should just walk or ride a bike to where they're going!

Update

Here are some recent shots of the lining done. Sorry for the crappy pics, I guess my 5mpxl camera phone doesn't do as well as I thought.
The picture link died. I am thinking about lining my interior and was interested how it turned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom