1993 LJ70 LHD looking to do LS swap and not sure what transmission to put in, looking for recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2LT lost its head again and I do not want to deal with the 2LT anymore. Looking to do a LS3 swap (really any LS will do) and I wanted the manual six speed TR6060 GM trans with it too. These are all just thoughts and nothing is set in stone. What would be the best options engine, trans, and transfer case wise for my project? I like diesel a lot but gasoline is a more available choice in the US. Please leave recommendations preferably those widely available in the US, thank you.

why not an old LS400 motor? the mighty 1uz, economical and looks factory, cheap,smooth,easy to fit up to existing driveline, wont break the factory driveline

I think there is an adapter that was intended to bolt the old 350’s to a R151 , in theory this should make it possible to fit a LS to the R series trans in your LJ if you already have a manual trans in it.

Chevy V8 to Toyota driveline has been done/adapter plates out there for more than 40 years. If you are dead set on the GM 6 speed you could put in this driveline and connect it to a divorced transfer case and then lengthen/shorten your driveshafts and move your TC shifter back accordingly.........I do not know if the tailshaft can be removed from a T56 to bolt to a TC or not.

Per wikipedia GM L33 5.3L v8 has an aluminum block and was used on 05-07 extended cab pickups. Aluminum block/aluminum head v8 may be close in weight to your 2LT diesel.

A 4.3 v6 would be a much easier fit in the engine bay and produce plenty of power. You would not however have that "sweet v8 sound".

The 4.7L toyota V8 in my 03" tundra is a wonderfully reliable, powerful, sweet running engine. It is also the cleanest looking engine bay under the hood with a total lack of "spaghetti ball mess of wires and hoses". It may be easy to pull a toyota v8 with ECM and transplant, but I've never done it and don't know. If it is in fact not too dependent/intertwined with all the other wiring/electrics in the truck body and it will bolt to your tranny then a toyota v8 would be a sweet swap.

NV4500 5spd would be a good choice for a landcruiser due to much lower 1st gear ratio, and 5th gear is not much lower than the T56. No need for crawler gears in the Tcase with granny low 1st gear. Start off in 2cnd gear for normal driving. NV4500 1st ratio- 5.6 to 6.3:1 5th ratio-.73-1 T56 1st ratio-2.66 to 3.36 5th ratio- .5 to .63-1 . Really no need to short shift through 6 gears with a broad torque high revving v8 in a vehicle you drive at speeds less than 120mph, unless you just enjoy all that gear shifting or want the "cool factor" of having a 6speed.

An R151 can barely handle the power of a 1HZ, it wont last long behind a sbc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom