For Sale 1991 Land Cruiser 70 Prado 2.4 Turbo Diesel L.A. California USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a rare Land Cruiser not sold or easily available in the US. It's a Model LJ78 with five doors, seats seven people, and has a 2.4L Turbo Diesel motor with lots of torque. Drive modes include 2H, 4H, 4L, and lockable front hub. Unique right-hand drive (direct from Japan), it's easy to drive and gets a lot of fun attention. Interior is clean with very minor issues (one bad power window switch, one missing vent control), power windows and door locks, radio, and CD player. Exterior has some mostly minor scratches and a couple door dents, some minor trim problems, some delaminated clear coat, and only a very small amount of rust that's typical but easy to fix. Motor runs strong with no bad smoking. Oil pressure gauge is inop, but engine runs at proper temp. Dual batteries. Very good mileage on diesel fuel. Rear seats split and fold up to sides, all lay flat in the rear for good room. Odometer is true and correct with 92K miles/148K kilometers. Not fast, but cruises decently on the freeway, and is very good off-road. Toyota chose to re-issue the Model 70 for one year in Japan on its 30th anniversary a few years back, and the Land Cruisers Direct company will sell you a comparable one for $16K. Save with this one that's already fully legal and registered in California until June 2019. A little restoration would make this truly one-of-a-kind! Maintenance records and manual (in Japanese...). Surf racks included. Located in San Pedro, California (Los Angeles). $14,500 obo.

Pedro Land Cruider.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

Last edited:
...and the Land Cruisers Direct company will sell you a comparable one for $18K to $22K. Save thousands...

Interesting attempted selling point for your vehicle, but LCD has never sold an LJ78 for more than $16K, and those were LJ78 5-speeds with rear-lockers and functioning oil pressure gauges.

GLWS

Steve, You would definitely know more than I would, especially since I'm new to the world of knowing all things about Land Cruisers. This was my daily runner when I lived in Japan for about six years, shipped it here a couple years ago, stored it for the past two years, and now I want to sell since I'm going back overseas for several years. LCD seems like a good company, and I will miss this Cruiser if it sells....

Steve, You would definitely know more than I would, especially since I'm new to the world of knowing all things about Land Cruisers. This was my daily runner when I lived in Japan for about six years, shipped it here a couple years ago, stored it for the past two years, and now I want to sell since I'm going back overseas for several years. LCD seems like a good company, and I will miss this Cruiser if it sells....

Just edited the post to reflect more accurate info about Land Cruisers Direct and their pricing for LJ78 models (per Steve Jackson).

Is this currently reg. in Calif. If so Dose it require smog checks ?

Thanks RB

close up piks of the rust spots & some better interior shots

RB,
It's fully and legally registered in Ca through June of 2019, and it does not require smog checks. If you can provide an email address, I can send more pics. I'm now living in Italy, so am eight hours ahead of California. My neighbor has the keys and can assist in the sale should you decide to buy.
Mike

I also have a California registered LJ78.. but I bought it registered - so I don't know about the registration hassle 1st hand.. no smog required once you have California title. But the real fun is finding an insurance company who will write a policy on a vehicle without a VIN number, only a chassis #... I got thru with Geico... after getting turned down by 4 other insurance carriers.. Cheers

If you still have it? I’d probably be interested for 10k, do I need it? No, do I want it? Maybe. Would my dad like it as a gift? Yes he would, yes he would lol.

are you ( @NelsWels and @Obiwan ) saying that USAA helped you get the diesel registered in CA? I am looking into this for a vehicle as well - could even be this one. I have AAA wonder if they would do the same for a 25+ year old diesel?

I have found conflicting resources from sites like this (California Buyer | Toprank Motorworks and a place in CA that does ARB conversions GK Auto) pushing the ARB conversions but then sites like these (Diesel Smog Check in California and https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/smogfaq ) saying 25+ are smog exempt and ARB conversions are unnecessary. Not sure which is fact. Anybody know the truth?

No. I'm saying USAA quickly took care of insurance. period. My 1980 Troopy was 25 when we brought it into the US so there is no extra registration or smog qualification, or anual test of any kind. At least where I am. As long as it's 25 I hear CA is similar. But maybe the CA people want to chime in? Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom