SOLD 1987 HJ61 Land Cruiser LHD Turbo Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
White
Recently imported HJ61 from France. 12 H-T turbo diesel engine, H55F 5-speed transmission, 2 speed transfer case with just 273,000 miles on it. Stylish blue velour interior. Steel wheels. Unmolested and ready for you to tidy her up and make it your own. $17,995 OBO. No trades. No time-wasters.

I know I am preaching to the choir here but I have always loved the round headlight 60 series Land Cruiser. I am not alone; they have a soft spot in the hearts of everyone from Hollywood screen writers (see, e.g., Terminal List) to middle-eastern terrorists. That said, the FJ60 originally brought to US is, IMO, a bit underpowered, particularly in torque, and the gas mileage is far from stellar. The HJ61 Turbo Diesel, on the other hand, is a different beast. I also have never loved automatic transmissions for these trucks. Thankfully, many of the diesels, like this one, are mated to the durable and efficient H55F 5-speed manual transmission.

This truck is the result of more than a year of searching. Unfortunately, there is only a year or two when Toyota was installing the more potent turbo diesel in the older, round headlight style 60 series body, so the search was time consuming. Originally delivered and recently sourced in southern France, this truck is factory fitted with the legendary 4.0 liter 12H-T turbo diesel engine producing 134 HP and 232 lb ft of torque. This engine is renowned for its durability. It features a chain driven cam eliminating a source of potential failure that appeared in later Toyota engines with belt driven cams. The truck has just 440,000 km (273,000 miles) on the clock; just getting broken in! It starts and runs with no smoke, blow-by or unusual noises. The transmission shifts cleanly and feeds power through a two-speed transfer case.

The truck runs, drives, shifts and stops as intended. The power steering pump is starting to fade but I have a replacement that was provided by the prior owner, ready to install.

Unlike trucks originating in Japan or Australia, this truck is left-hand-drive so you can easily navigate a north American drive through or toll booth. It has the stock 24-volt electric system, dual 12-volt batteries in series, electric windows and door locks and a period blue velour interior that will come to grow on you. The dash is decent but headliner is showing its age and cargo area carpet needs replaced.

The truck is a project. That’s why it isn’t $30k or more!!! It has a fair amount of “patina” currently. The body is straight and there is no known or evident accident history. The rear hatch has some damage that was poorly repaired and even more poorly painted and there is a small dent at the passenger side taillight. The chrome trim on the front and rear glass looks as though it was installed with a ball peen hammer. There is rust in the wheel wells and on the dog legs, some of which is perforating and should be attended to. One of the rockers also has a spot of rust to address. The underside and frame look good with only surface rust to clean up. The engine bay needs a good cleaning but is complete and correct and looks like it will clean up nicely.

Unfortunately, I’ve had a change in circumstance and cannot give it the attention it deserves, hence the listing. Clean and clear title with current registration in the great state of Montana but the truck is located in southern California (Los Angeles area). Note, I understand this truck would require substantial effort to register in California. Do your own research. I believe it can be readily registered in any other state. I am happy to provide additional photos or videos and welcome in person inspections. First sale listing so be kind. If no interest here, I'll list on ebay but wanted to give interested Mudders first crack.

IMG_0122[1].JPG

IMG_0121[1].JPG

IMG_0127[1].JPG

IMG_0125[1].JPG

IMG_0130[1].JPG

Last edited:
Recently imported HJ61 from France. 12 H-T turbo diesel engine, H55F 5-speed transmission, 2 speed transfer case with just 273,000 miles on it. Stylish blue velour interior. Steel wheels. Unmolested and ready for you to tidy her up and make it your own. $17,995 OBO. No trades. No time-wasters.

I know I am preaching to the choir here but I have always loved the round headlight 60 series Land Cruiser. I am not alone; they have a soft spot in the hearts of everyone from Hollywood screen writers (see, e.g., Terminal List) to middle-eastern terrorists. That said, the FJ60 originally brought to US is, IMO, a bit underpowered, particularly in torque, and the gas mileage is far from stellar. The HJ61 Turbo Diesel, on the other hand, is a different beast. I also have never loved automatic transmissions for these trucks. Thankfully, many of the diesels, like this one, are mated to the durable and efficient H55F 5-speed manual transmission.

This truck is the result of more than a year of searching. Unfortunately, there is only a year or two when Toyota was installing the more potent turbo diesel in the older, round headlight style 60 series body, so the search was time consuming. Originally delivered and recently sourced in southern France, this truck is factory fitted with the legendary 4.0 liter 12H-T turbo diesel engine producing 134 HP and 232 lb ft of torque. This engine is renowned for its durability. It features a chain driven cam eliminating a source of potential failure that appeared in later Toyota engines with belt driven cams. The truck has just 440,000 km (273,000 miles) on the clock; just getting broken in! It starts and runs with no smoke, blow-by or unusual noises. The transmission shifts cleanly and feeds power through a two-speed transfer case.

The truck runs, drives, shifts and stops as intended. The power steering pump is starting to fade but I have a replacement that was provided by the prior owner, ready to install.

Unlike trucks originating in Japan or Australia, this truck is left-hand-drive so you can easily navigate a north American drive through or toll booth. It has the stock 24-volt electric system, dual 12-volt batteries in series, electric windows and door locks and a period blue velour interior that will come to grow on you. The dash is decent but headliner is showing its age and cargo area carpet needs replaced.

The truck is a project. That’s why it isn’t $30k or more!!! It has a fair amount of “patina” currently. The body is straight and there is no known or evident accident history. The rear hatch has some damage that was poorly repaired and even more poorly painted and there is a small dent at the passenger side taillight. The chrome trim on the front and rear glass looks as though it was installed with a ball peen hammer. There is rust in the wheel wells and on the dog legs, some of which is perforating and should be attended to. One of the rockers also has a spot of rust to address. The underside and frame look good with only surface rust to clean up. The engine bay needs a good cleaning but is complete and correct and looks like it will clean up nicely.

Unfortunately, I’ve had a change in circumstance and cannot give it the attention it deserves, hence the listing. Clean and clear title with current registration in the great state of Montana but the truck is located in southern California (Los Angeles area). Note, I understand this truck would require substantial effort to register in California. Do your own research. I believe it can be readily registered in any other state. I am happy to provide additional photos or videos and welcome in person inspections. First sale listing so be kind. If no interest here, I'll list on ebay but wanted to give interested Mudders first crack.

View attachment 3126026

View attachment 3126028

View attachment 3126031

View attachment 3126034

View attachment 3126039

I don't see a price

$17,995 OBO

Thanks to all who have expressed interest. A sale of the truck is pending. I will advise those who have expressed interest if the transaction falls through. Thanks to all for your interest.

I know who bought it. It is sold and heading to Idaho. It's going to get some love and hit the market again next year.

Sorry for the delayed response. She was picked up last week. Happy holidays to all and thanks for the interest and support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom