1985 HJ [?] 60 series... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pathfinder-trails.com
I've spotted a 1985 4lt diesel 60 series that's selling cheaply. Not having any experience with these vehicles i wanted to ask other what i should look out for/ask about before buying this vehicle. I want to buy it as a potential tourer. I've seen some neat looking photos on ih8mud and like the look of it - but just because it looks good doesn't necessarily mean it is good!

So your help please.

One other question is - what manual transmission could i mate up to the 4lt diesel 'cause at the moment it has an auto transmission that i don't really want.

thanks.
PJ

For the transmission issue, you could mate up a coule different transmissions. You could use a H42 or H41 four speed transmission or a H55F five speed transmission. As far as I know, these would bolt up pretty easily.

A couple of questions about the engine. How many kilometers? Were they harsh kilometers? Does it blow smoke?

How about the maintence history of the vehicle?

In terms of rust, check the rear wheel wells, the rear body mounts, the roofline and the rear quarter panels. If all of these things check out, then you might have found a good truck!

A 4LT is not the engine a '60 series would have. An HJ60 would have a 6 cylinder "H" series engine, either an H which would be older and uncommon, a 2H or a 12H-T. There were also BJ60's which came with the 4 cylinder 3B engine.

cruiser_guy said:
A 4LT is not the engine a '60 series would have. An HJ60 would have a 6 cylinder "H" series engine, either an H which would be older and uncommon, a 2H or a 12H-T. There were also BJ60's which came with the 4 cylinder 3B engine.

the lt he is referring to is liters. not in the sense like your thinking "2l-t" etc.

do a compression check on the engine. possibly a coolant pressure test too, to check the head.

drive it and see how it starts when cold.

those engines are robust.

your questions about the tranny and engine shoule be asked in the diesel section. I bet the imput shaft will be wrong for a manual.

but you can buy a kit for your auto to make it shift more solidly....made by turbo glide I think.

post up in the diesel section.

I've got an 85 60 series with the 4 litre 2H motor and an auto transmission and from my experience I'd say they're fantastic. I've taken it around Australia twice (on some pretty remote, terrible roads) without the slightest hiccup. It had 230,000 when I got it and its at 350,000 now (diesel mechanics I've spoken to reckon lifespan should be about 500-600,000 kms). Great for big tours coz you know its just going to keep on going and going, only problem is its really slow going up hills on the highway, but if you're touring who's in that much of a hurry.

I know the auto isn't ideal for off road work but I've had no problems with it at all.

As for off road stuff, I keep thinking I should get lockers and bigger tyres etc. but then realise that I haven't yet found anywhere (other than just being silly) that I couldn't get to as it is.

Rust in the roof sill seems to be the common problem with them here. I'd agree with Brownbear, get a compression test and make sure the head is ok. From my experience its one of those vehicles thats damn hard to damage but when you finally do, it can be horrifically expensive to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom