Builds 1985 FJ60 Gets a Holley Sniper EFI Setup (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s actually not had an issue since I chanced vac lines when I came back from the Ozarks. Feels good. Still crap gas mileage compared to @wngrog. Checked today and just over 10 MPG. Nolens clocking over 13 mpg on his built 2f. It’s a land cruiser not concerned with mpg but I am curious if I’m still dumping fuel....

Curious what others with stock 2f and
sniper are getting for MPG??!!

I'm on stock 2F with stock carb and I get about 13.5mpg. Mostly 50-55 mph driving, 31" tires. 4 speed.

I'm on stock 2F with stock carb and I get about 13.5mpg. Mostly 50-55 mph driving, 31" tires. 4 speed.

That's sounds about right for that setup.
Nolen and I are running 2f, Sniper, DUI, h55 w/ 4.1 gears, and 33” tires. The exact same driveline except his is in a pig and I am in a 60, however his motor is a freshly built Mosley Motors Cop Motor 2f. He is pushing 13 plus and I can barely break 10 MPG

That's sounds about right for that setup.
Nolen and I are running 2f, Sniper, DUI, h55 w/ 4.1 gears, and 33” tires. The exact same driveline except his is in a pig and I am in a 60, however his motor is a freshly built Mosley Motors Cop Motor 2f. He is pushing 13 plus and I can barely break 10 MPG
Don't forget to convert for larger tires. 33" KOs =mpg x 1.14, true 33's = mpg x 1.18... but my gas mileage has dropped off too. I'm about 11.5 mpg in town. I gotta get her out on the highway and do more testing.

Don't forget to convert for larger tires. 33" KOs =mpg x 1.14, true 33's = mpg x 1.18... but my gas mileage has dropped off too. I'm about 11.5 mpg in town. I gotta get her out on the highway and do more testing.

So with this setup and a regear both of are Speedos are dead on accurate.

We both ditched the bfgs for true 33” tires as well.

So with this setup and a regear both of are Speedos are dead on accurate.

We both ditched the bfgs for true 33” tires as well.
Bad gas mileage + rich condition toasting O2 sensor and plugs = false O2 reading.

Could be fresh air leak on exhaust
Bad spark or combustion

You didn't have the problem before changing distributors?

Use your timing light. Connect reader clamp to each plug wire looking for misses.

OMG! I've been searching hi and lo for an answer to my question of whether or not the GPA fuel pump unit would fit in the OEM fuel pick-up hole and your picture seems to confirm that it indeed does.

I am planning on installing a sniper EFI in my 1981 FJ40 (the fuel tank is under the body) and I really want an in tank pump. I suspect, but don't know 100% that the FJ60 and late FJ40 tank holes are the same.
@Dustin Messina, can you confirm that the GPA fuel pump dropped right in?

OMG! I've been searching hi and lo for an answer to my question of whether or not the GPA fuel pump unit would fit in the OEM fuel pick-up hole and your picture seems to confirm that it indeed does.

I am planning on installing a sniper EFI in my 1981 FJ40 (the fuel tank is under the body) and I really want an in tank pump. I suspect, but don't know 100% that the FJ60 and late FJ40 tank holes are the same.
@Dustin Messina, can you confirm that the GPA fuel pump dropped right in?

Yup have to cut new hole in tank and weld in ring to mount.

Bad gas mileage + rich condition toasting O2 sensor and plugs = false O2 reading.

Could be fresh air leak on exhaust
Bad spark or combustion

You didn't have the problem before changing distributors?

Use your timing light. Connect reader clamp to each plug wire looking for misses.

Agreed. Truck is running pretty good right now so going to just drive it. However, recap.... I have new plugs, all new vac lines, new O2, new gaskets on Sniper to intake and adapter, and then reset Sniper.

That is correct, I had zero issues on old recurved Dizzy and igniter. All of this has been with DUI, but not right away and I have significantly more miles on the DUI setup than factory Dizzy.

Yup have to cut new hole in tank and weld in ring to mount.

Ah! I had to google the FJ60 fuel tank to see that the spot you drilled is a factory stamped spot that just so happens to be perfect for this modification. Your original pickup is in the corner, correct?
I don't know that I am going to get this luck with my FJ40 tank.

1604501936156.png

@Dustin Messina, I'm surly not an expert, but my guess is that one or more cylinders was not getting a proper burn pumping raw air/fuel through the exhaust giving a false lean condition. Sniper added more fuel compounding the problem. This is a little disturbing to me. A carb wouldn't have done that. This greatly compromises a vehicle that is designed to be used is the backcountry. We are gonna need special protocols besides spare parts that most off roaders don't normally carry. Extra high-pressure fuel line, extra fuel filters, extra sparkplugs, extra fuel pumps, extra whiskey etc.

Holley forum talks about blending the learned fuel curve with base fuel tables after learning has stabilized. Then you can limit the amount of learning. I am hoping that by limiting the learning, a problem such as a misfiring cylinder will prevent the ECU from dumping in too much extra fuel. I intend to find out.

One of Dustin’s plug wires was barely touching. Like you said I think it likely all started there with a misfire and fuel dumping.

We did a reboot but I’m not sure that will reset everything in the memory.

One of Dustin’s plug wires was barely touching. Like you said I think it likely all started there with a misfire and fuel dumping.

I think you guys fixed it. Good thing you were prepared with two extra O2 Sensors. I'm gonna get two spares for my kit.

It’s interesting. As you know I have a few of these in operation. I’ve only lost one O2 to date.

Dustin you still owe me one :)
Sitting on my counter!

You are right I forget that my number 1 wasnt snapped on the cap well when we first started looking.....

Last edited:
Dustin: Where does the vac line from the bottom of the Delco purge valve go to? And......Mucho, MUCHO thanks to you and the other pioneers for making this a smoother transition for the rest of us.

Dustin: Where does the vac line from the bottom of the Delco purge valve go to? And......Mucho, MUCHO thanks to you and the other pioneers for making this a smoother transition for the rest of us.

this pic should give you an idea. You are using that factory hard lines on the firewall.

1334BBA4-030F-49A8-951F-89A2BF9D133D.jpeg

Just finished reading through this whole thread and there is a TON of good info here. Thanks for blazing the trail and documenting the ups and downs as well. I have so many posts bookmarked and pictures saved from this thread alone.

Couple questions for @wngrog & @Dustin Messina, since you seem to have the most experience with the Sniper and distributors on 2 distinct 2F engines:
I have a 2F block on a stand waiting for an EFI system. Will an RV or other style grind cam be of any value, since "I've already gone this far"?
I currently run an MSD 6 box and stock ignitor and OEM large cap distributor (not recurved) for ignition, is there a compelling argument to switch to a DUI style dizzy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom