1985.5 Porsche 944 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, we bought the wife a new car, so I get to drive the 80. So my Porsche 944 needs to go to make room in the garage.

I have full maintenance receipts from myself and the previous owner who is a family friend. I also have a few receipts from owners before that.

Here is a brief summary of the car's service while I have had it.

I'm asking $4300 and the car is located in Phoenix, Arizona.

Maintenance wise all performed by Jack @ Stuttgart Southwest:

I have changed the oil with Mobil – 1 non synthetic (synth causes 944’s to leak like crazy) every 2500-3000 miles. I had Jack do it a couple of times when it happened to be in for service though. It was garaged all except for a little less than a year that I have owned it.

02/24/05 car purchased from family friend with 86744 miles on the odometer. Previous owner also used Stuttgart Southwest – I have those receipts.

Sometime between these two dates they R&R’d the counterbalance shaft – it was installed out of sync if I recall correctly. They also re-sealed some oil leaks. I don’t seem to have the receipt – Stuttgart will have a copy if I can’t find mine.

8/18/05 – 89504 miles: New motor mount, new front rotors & pads

9/14/05 – 90109 miles: Car died on road into the airport – Turns out the timing belt snapped very due to an oil leak hidden behind the timing cover. Head was refinished – 4 new exhaust valves, 1 intake valve. Replaced all front seals. New idlers & tensioners.

11/08/05 – 91,112 miles – 1,000 mile timing belt service. Check fuel injector leak. Check front valence (some previous owner tweaked it..it still remains so). The hood was also repainted by Stuttgart around this time. They were charging the battery and the hood struts gave out and dented the hood. They repainted & clear coated for no charge as a result. I then changed the hood struts with OEM struts..

Between these two services, If I recall correctly I had the car in due to the fuel injector leak getting worse. They replaced it with a rebuilt injector, twice. No issue since.

11/9/2006 – Driver’s side quarter panel repainted – I made the mistake of parking within three miles of my sister and she somehow backed into the car from the opposite side of a 4 car width driveway.

4/13/07 – 102818: New clutch et al.

4/29/08 – 110876 miles: Air-conditioning recharged. New voltage regulator (battery repeatedly dying). 15,000 mile timing belt service. Fuel filter. New O2 sensor – the tip broke off in the exhaust and was rattling. New Driver’s side door handle (lever broke). New spark plugs. They found and fixed a short in driver’s side electrical harness – the window was intermittent previously.

Sometime in here I replaced the rear deck with one that was in better shape (the glass in the previous one was pulling from the frame.

10/17/08 - 115,024 miles: I replaced the fuel sending unit due to a fuel leak out of the electrical leads. The next day I took it in to verify that was the only leak. I also had Jack check for a defective motor mount. The car was vibrating a little more than it used to. New deck struts.

12/1/08 – 116,633: Fuel smell was much better but still seemed to be leaking. Had jack do some further investigation. He updated some fuel tank vent lines and declared it fixed. No problem since. Also asked him to check a drip I had in front. I thought it might be the p/s system. He said that it had a very slight leak, but that the cam tower seals were leaking slowly which was causing the drip.

Outstanding Issues:

The front windshield has crack in the driver’s side lower corner. I pulled the rear interior out to put some sound deadening in (my drive got much longer recently). The rear deck carpet needs to be replaced – I think the rear deck was leaking before I replaced it and the carpet got discolored. I need to finish assembling the rear interior, which I will do. The shift boot needs to be replaced. The engine vibrates in the mounts a little more than it used to. New mounts will correct this per Jack (turns out the less expensive mounts he used wear out much quicker, use OEM next time per Jack). As noted above the front valence is a bit caty-wompus.

All in all very minor issues for a 25 year old car. 20th street auto quoted me $80 for new rear carpet. You can buy a brand new shift boot for $100, 20th street may have one. “

Porsche1.jpg
Porsche2.jpg
Porsche3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom