1980 PTO winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Ken,

I have a PTO on my 1980 from a 1964. So i would say yes. Your 1972 will have a 3 speed in it stock so the PTO drive shaft from the 1980 will be longer. On mine i had to make a new longer shaft. 3/4' schedule 40 black pipe is perfect. Yours, you will have to cut one of the u-joint ends off shorten the drive shaft and re weld. Any machine shop would make short work of that. The PTO drive shaft has a slip yoke joint in it so the length is plus or minus say 1/4" The gear inside the TC will mesh with the PTO box gears. The 3 speed TC will have the PTO gear installed (most likely) just pull the cover off and take a look. If it doesn't have the PTO gear installed let me know I have one I can give you for the shipping cost.

Thanks jb

The winch head will fit, and the drive shaft can be adapted as needed, however the pto drive gearbox which mounts to the side of the transfer case is not interchangeable. The bolt pattern on the pto drive casing is different. A 1980 will have the split case transfer, while the '72 has the one-piece case.

8/80 was the change on the transfer case and would be a 81 model. Earlier would be a 80 model with the one piece transfer case.

one piece transfer cases have a pto with offset bolt holes and split cases have parallel bolt holes, you can supposedly redrill and file out the holes to get the early pto's to fit the split cases but I don't think you'd get the split case pto's to fit the early single piece cases

0000000000.jpg

000_0269.jpg

also worth checking that you have the pto drive gear in your transfer case our market out here only had about 50% of them with the drive gears the rest just got a long spacer put on the shaft in its place, it didn't make it a nice surprise when you went and found yourself a pto winch setup and went to install it only to find no drive gear in the transfer case :crybaby:

US market all three speeds from mid 62 until the four speed started during 74 had a PTO gear. Even if you didn't have one easy to find one I've seen offers of pay for the shipping and will give you one. The later sixteen spline and nineteen spline are harder to find. Years ago had a friend who had a 1962 with the early three speed transmission and transfer case with mid 63 to later one piece PTO attached. Beside having to drill a few holes to bolt it on the gears didn't mesh right and caused damage to the transfer case. I would check that close when trying to switch PTOs around. One advantage of putting a one piece PTO on a split case is our one piece PTOs were forward/reverse. Finding a split case PTO that has that is very rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom