1978 FJ40 Slow build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For some of the pros here, this would be non-eventful. But big step completed today for the 78 Slow Build. The last of the (2) windows went in this evening and it’s mostly reassembled. Basically ready to be back on the road.

IMG_2835.jpeg

Replacing the voltage regulator 27700-24020 with a Denso Reman for Toyota 27700-54030-84. Noticed a single blue wire not connected to anything. Curious if anyone knows the purpose for this wire?
IMG_2953.jpeg

That blue wire originally went to a condenser/choke of some sort. These original regulators were probably mechanical and made all kinds of radio noise. I'd guess that the electronics inside the modern versions have been improved enough it's no longer necessary. @Engineer8000 would know way more than I do.

20231215_110515.jpg

Last edited:
For awhile now, there would be times I would turn the key to start the 40 and I would get nothing. Waiting a minute or two and trying again would sometimes help, and other times tapping on the starter with a hammer would get things going. I suspected the starter may going out so finally replaced it with a Toyota gear reduction starter. @ToyotaMatt makes a plug and play kit that provides a nice pig tail and short wire to connect to the original wire harness with a female spade. Rather than splice in, I crimped and soldered and 1/4” male spade connecter to Matt’s wire so there’s an option to return things to original without having to make up new wiring connections.

My normal cold start procedure pre-GR starter was full choke, 3 slow gas peddle pumps, turn key with light pressure on gas peddle. This did not work with the new starter. Ended up closing the choke and just touching the gas peddle to get the 40 to start.

The GR starter is a great upgrade, and the wiring kit from @ToyotaMatt makes for a really easy and clean installation.

IMG_3067.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom