1978 BJ40 advice please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

I've come over from the 80's board as there is a nice looking BJ40 for sale about 20 miles from me (in the UK) The truck is for sale on eBay. For those that care to look it's here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2424652174&category=18290

I've learnt a fair bit about 80's from working on my own truck but know nothing about 40's. I would be very grateful if anyone could offer an opinion on this truck... Desirability, reliability, practicality etc

This is the description from eBay:
Landcruiser BJ40. Believed to be a 1978 Irish import. It is a short wheel base, four wheel drive, 3 Liitre Diesel. It will have 12 months MOT once sale is agreed. It is Taxed to February 04.

I have done around 3,000 miles in the last twelve months and the clock reads 52,000. This cannot be verified. The body , chassis and mechanics are in very good order. It drives well with no noises or clonks (except the diesel engine roaring). The brakes are good. The tyres have 90% tread. The engine uses no significant amount of oil. Two new batteries last winter. The body work was done about three years ago prior to my ownership. It is very good with only a few areas that are less than perfect. My intension was to finish the intererior but I just don't have the time. The seats and general interior are a little scruffy and they could do with finishing to match the outside appearance but they are quite serviceable. Could be quite a show vehicle with a little more finishing. It is very original. I have decided to sell purley as I do not have the time to enjoy it.

Thanks in advance, Jim

I should add what I have in mind for it. It won't be my daily drive but will be garaged and only used for about a dozen days shooting each year. IE, a bit of mud, a fews dogs and a couple of passengers. OK, I probably will be tempted to use it more than that.. but only the pleasure of driving it around - maybe I'll do a couple of thousand miles a year in it ..

Oh, the price (£1800) equates to just under $3000 US (good or bad?)

Cheers, Jim

From what I can see and the tone of the advert it looks a very genuine vehicle and I wouldnt mind owning it myself. I would be quite happy to pay that price in Australia if the description was accurate. There is 2 of them for sale in my area this week (1980and 82)and they are asking AUD$4500 and are probably high milers.If the mileage is correct the motor is only a quarter of the way through its useful life. There is no built in faults in these .Theyll bounce around on the road and they are noisy but are still superior to the opposition of the same year A leading Australian 4x4 magazine recently voted these as the best all round 4x4 on the planet.These are becoming hard to get in aust because they have all been loved to death.This is one to stick away in a nice dry warm shed and keep for life.

Bonjour Jim,

My 2 cents. Look at the exhaust color, coolant level and color, oil level and smell, frame rust (?), body leveling, oil leaks around engine, tranny and diffs. How is the radiator? Is the 24 volts circuit (I suspect?) original? Well grounded?

My brother owned a 3B engine on a BJ-75 (1983) and was working like a tractor, a bulldozer. Low end torque is a big plus. I liked the 5 speed tranny.

I own a FJ-40 (1978) and would like to have a 3B engine. For your purpose (dogs, passengers, others), I would put a solid roof rack. Your prospected BJ seams new !

I fully agree with rosco, it seams to be a nice price. £1800, $3000 US , $4500 aud, $4200 cdn.

Please, enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to take a look at it.

Since this model Landcruiser was never sold in the UK parts may be a problem for me. I've bought parts for my 80 from the US - I take it there are plenty of parts available for this (diesel a problem?)

Thanks, Jim

Jim the parts shouldnt be a problem as the engine was used in forklift trucks and refridgeration units ect. I think it was actually built by Hino ,the Japanese truck manufacturer.A full range of parts are still widely available in AUST.

Jim, I own a 1978 BJ40 with 3.0 liter diesel. I paid about US$4000 3 years ago. Mine (the body) is in less shape as far as I can see and read. The B-engine has only 76 HP but it's strong. With a little patience it can break the speed limit at highways, which is 120kmph.
The 24 V system is great, but I would advise to install a third battery for 12V devices.
I have also installed comfortable seats (urgent demand of my wife to accompany me on longer trips).

Ton

I have done around 3,000 miles in the last twelve months and the clock reads 52,000.
That is becouse it can only read up to 5 full digits. :D

The body , chassis and mechanics are in very good order.
My Transefercase only has a significant whine from 60km/h to 80km/h. :)

(except the diesel engine roaring)
Mine dose'nt till I reach 105km/h. :)

The engine uses no significant amount of oil.
So it does use Oil, Most likely due to Idleling for long periods of time. :-\

Two new batteries last winter.
I would guess that it is 24V, Thus most likely, Originally used in the Military as a Communications Vehicle.

i-5.JPG
That Fuel Door is Hinged on the opposite side to mine. :D

That Thermostat Housing and Radiator is not original and system should also use a Exspansion Bottle.

The Temperature Guage looks the same as mine, and If I start the Engine and only let it Idle the hottest it will get is half way between the first line and the 1/3 mark. When the Guage gets to needle thickness over 1/3 the water is Boiling. If I work mine hard the Guage goes to a maximum of exactly 1/3. Under normal conditions the Guage gets to needle thickness under 1/3.

The only problem I have, Is that on some poor Bitumen roads, It will move around a bit when driving at more than 80km/h, But is not affected by wind.

Also becareful of the the Brakes, Incase they are not adjusted well. If the Brakes are adjusted well, The camber of the road will make the Brakes not be able to pull up straight.

Easiest way to start up a steep hill is:
Hold Foot on Brake.
Let Clutch out, Till you feel it.
Then remove your Foot from the Brake, Whitst doing this let the Clutch out a bit more.
Then get your Foot on the Throttle.
And take off as usual.

Jonathan_Ferguson,
All BJ42's in Canada were 24v from the factory. It's not necessarily an indicator of military service.

the thermostat housing and radiator could well be stock for that area, there were quite a few very small changes based on where they were made and sold. By the look of it, I would have no problems with buying it, it looks nice and clean and even has the stock rims. There is nothing like a nice brick on wheels with a tractor engine, when around the bush, and the engine should run all day, towing, under load, with an outside temp of 40-45 degc without breaking a sweat, and will still return 10l/100k.

And as a unique feature, the wind up windows are strong enough to support a medium cal rifle as a rest when shooting from the car. :)

I always thought the Irish army used green landrovers after all blue is not really a camoflage colour. .If there is a temperature problem it probably only a water pump or radiator that needs attention.Its normal for a diesel to use some oil .As for the true milege thats anyone s guess but I dont think people clock up the kind of miles we do in australia or n america . My guess is that it has been owned by a farmer as a back up vehicle and to tow a trailer round the farm. Most landcruisers have 24 volts except australian ones You have to remember that this vehicle is 25 years old and is not advertised as being in brand new cond nor does the advertiser offer it as totally original

hey Denis, is your 75 the same as my 79? yours must have been one of the early ones.

sam

Hey Sam, are you from down under ?

my 75 has the frame # 0001680 or something :eek:

Anyway, it's the old style body with the tank under the pass. seat (RH - LHD truck), with the newer style windshield frame, the newer style (one piece-window) door, the old style birfield and spindle... and some I-dunno-what-style mirrors attached on the tub in front of the upper door hinge...
I guess it's one of the very transition months... ;)
I'll try to find a decent pic sumwhere...

bye,

[quote author=roscoFJ73 link=board=1;threadid=3857;start=0#msg28335 date=1058884917]
A leading Australian 4x4 magazine recently voted these as the best all round 4x4 on the planet..
[/quote]

Can you remember which magazine this was? I would like to try to find the review.

Cheers, Jim

Sorry Jim Ive shifted twice in 1 year and all my magazines went as these things do.Also it may have been about 2 years ago and not recently as I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom