Builds 1977 FJ55 west TN build: family wagon (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did some welding a few months ago and didn't have my FR shirt. molten lava hit my shoulder and burns a 1/2 inch hole in the shirt. I had a scab for a couple weeks and when it came off, part of my tattoo went with it.

I haven't been able to work on the 55 recently due to a couple of distractions. Below is a pic of the primary distraction. Last summer we bought a US spec '82 FJ40 to restore and it is just about complete. Here's what we've done:
new rear quarters, new wheel wells, new rear sill, new inside and outside rockers on both sides, new floor pans, new patches below kickout vents on both sides, replaced hood, replaced windshield frame, replaced passenger side fender, new running boards, new ambulance door skins, replaced license plate holder, reupholstered jump seats, new fender blinkers, new rear blinker covers, new side and rear emblems, new mounting hardware for the windshield, doors, hood, mirrors, ...., new headliner, new floor mats, new full size matching spare and rim, new weatherstripping for the doors and windshield, new rollbar pads, new side mirrors, …. I’m sure I’m missing some stuff too.

This was an investment and hope to get it on the market soon. If anyone knows of anyone looking for a really nice late model 40, please let me know.

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

bryan.jpg

IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

The next distraction began by an innocent letter from the company holding my retirement account stating that it was possible to borrow against that account for a very small yearly fee of $25 and all the interest I pay on the loan would go back into the retirement account. Basically, be your own bank. Ideas are powerful things. So, I borrowed some money a few months ago and joined the 45 crowd. The 45 swb has the original engine, 3 speed, saginaw PS, and a shackle reversal. It obviously has been restored in the not-too-distant past. It arrived yesterday and we've enjoyed driving it this afternoon. Already can tell that it needs a water and PS pump. Real quick post so that I can take more kids for a ride!

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

IMG_2435.JPG

IMG_2433.JPG

Last edited:
The next distraction began by an innocent letter from the company holding my retirement account stating that it was possible to borrow against that account for a very small yearly fee of $25 and all the interest I pay on the loan would go back into the retirement account. Basically, be your own bank. Ideas are powerful things. So, I borrowed some money a few months ago and joined the 45 crowd. The 45 swb has the original engine, 3 speed, saginaw PS, and a shackle reversal. It obviously has been restored in the not-too-distant past. It arrived yesterday and we've enjoyed driving it this afternoon. Already can tell that it needs a water and PS pump. Real quick post so that I can take more kids for a ride!

View attachment 2614006

View attachment 2614008

View attachment 2614009

View attachment 2614010
Gorgeous!

I think with the skills you got, you could build yourself a 45! Reading your thread through the years always left me with the impression that the TOYOTA in the back should be replaced with ??? SMOOTH ?? I think there's hardly a metal panel on your 55 that you didn't touch!

That’s an awesome rig! Cool to hear kids love riding in it also. My kids well past that!

Home again, home again, jiggty, jig!

As per normal, the newly arriving land cruiser died in the front driveway and had to be towed to the garage. I’ll have bugs to track down over the next couple of days/weeks.

Looking forward to getting it sold so I’ll have resources for the 55!

A251293E-CB36-48CB-A9FA-4CEF1C01CE4B.jpeg

4AB6A32B-2807-4B2B-86B5-18D18AC9E486.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom