For Sale 1977 FJ40 in Washington State on BAT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(21, 71, 18)
Outside Link
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-83/
I hesitate to link this here, as I know MUD isn't really the place for V8 conversions. But this one is about to wrap up on BAT today. Looks like it might go for a reasonable price. I'm the owner. Let me know if you have any questions...

Bring-A-Trailer link

Google photos link

3.jpg

I've had it about 2 years. It came from southern California, where I assume it spent most of it's life based on the sun oxidation and lack of rust. It was heavily oxidized when I bought it. I gave it the CLR, Griots, Penetrol treatment and it came to life. Hopefully you can get a feel from the photos, but it's beautiful in person. As far as I can tell, it is original paint. I've been over it with a magnet, and can't find any filler. The driver's rear quarter is much less oxidized, but so is the driver's side in general. I'm not sure if there was a repaint of that quarter panel, or if it just spent it's life parked with the right side in more direct sun. Regardless, the frame and tub are in fantastic condition. There are two pinholes of rust on the hood (not sure why there??), and the bottom of one of the ambulance doors has a pinhole. Otherwise it's in really good shape, with amazing patina. The usual spots: rear sill, rocker panels, floor pans, and rear quarters, are all great. The underbody got a treatment of rust inhibitor and Fluid Film, even though I'm in the desert of eastern Washington (yes, that's a thing) and it's stored in a heated shop. It's really well preserved in it's current state.

The previous owner installed a low-mile TBI 350 and Saginaw PS. It seems well done. He used the original 4-speed and T/C. The wiring is tidy. It runs at the thermostat temp regardless of ambient temp. It's a great driver. The PS has a really light feel. It starts easy and idles smooth with fuel injection. It has new front calipers, and it brakes straight and strong. The GM smog equipment was installed with the motor, with exception of a catalytic converter, if that helps those of you that get smog checked. The original radiator had a few seeps at the seams that seemed to multiply, so in went an aluminum radiator. I added a 3D printed gauge holder with AutoMeter water temp and oil pressure in the factory radio location. The factory gauges seem a little wonky sometimes. The ammeter is fine, but fuel, oil and water gauges all seem fluctuate when you turn on an accessory like the heater fan. I haven't dug into this issue, as the aftermarket gauges are much more accurate anyway. Upholstery is in good shape, with one small tear on the side of the passenger seat back. It has the factory Toyota front floor mat. I also added a complete aftermarket dash pad (not a cover). New 30 x 9.5 BFGs, including the spare. New battery.

It needs a headliner, which I have and will be included. I don't have the skills to install it right, and I don't have a local upholstery shop.

Maybe there's someone here looking for a driver. It has the outward appearance of an original 40, but it happens to drive a bit more like a modern rig... Not what I would consider a restomod, just a more driveable 40.
Clear title in my name.

4.jpg
a.jpg

@SgtMunger did the 3D printed gauge plate for the radio hole. It's a great way to add aftermarket gauges without cutting up the dash or adding pods.

that is a nice 40 in my book. Wish I had the extra money right now to bid on it. Shipping would be a breeze....lol

that is a nice 40 in my book. Wish I had the extra money right now to bid on it. Shipping would be a breeze....lol
Thanks! Did you get all dug out over there? A friend near Tieton said she got over 30". I got just over 20" here in Ellensburg.

Thanks! Did you get all dug out over there? A friend near Tieton said she got over 30". I got just over 20" here in Ellensburg.
yeah we had about 30" too. it was a lot of digging. I have been trying to find some time to et up in the hills to see how deep it is up in the higher elevations.

Nice 77!

There would be twice as many 40's in CA if there wasn't a cut-off at 1975 for smog rules. Miss my Green 1975/350, pleasure to drive!

Thats awesome. Seriously rad fj40. And clean.

Quite the bidding war at the end. Congrats on the sale. Cool 40😎

Wow,
Now the V8 swaps are going for $34k?? A few years ago that would’ve topped out at 20 K. I understand that BAT pulls top of the market on auction, but geez. 😳
Good Lord what has this world come to?
Where is this cruiser market heading?
It is a pretty nice rust free rig, but I still would not pay anywhere near that.
I consider myself very lucky that I got two of my three a few years ago for smoking deals.

Wow x 2, I didn't need to see that to have sellers remorse!!!

@newtrout what do you think about the cause of the hood rust? Seems like an odd spot for it with everything else so nice
I'm confused by this as well. The hood is the only part that I question whether it had been repainted. It looked like there was more of a light colored primer under the paint on the hood. Maybe it was a replacement hood that had been painted to match? Maybe there was a different process at the factory, as the hood would have been painted separately from the rest of the body? Regardless, I can't figure it out either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom