1973 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here are some quick photos I shot of the 1973 FJ40 OEM Soft Top I have been restoring. I have a couple of small things to complete on the engine before the tub gets mounted back on the frame. The tub should be back from the painter on Monday or Tuesday.

The truck is going back totally stock with the exception of the OME lift and the front discs.

I thought I would start this thread to showcase the work I have done and show some photos as I button the truck back together.

I will try and scan some of the 35mm photos I took of the truck when I started the work on it.

Last edited:
A couple of more....

Last edited:
purty.

Looks Awesome. Love the decals. Still need to get some from you.....

Can not wait to see the tub.

:cheers:

Thanks!

I sandblasted the frame and then sprayed it with POR15 and then sprayed it with the POR Chassis Coat Black. When I do the 45LV it will be powdercoated primarily for the ease factor. Any painting I have done myself has been in the garage and it tends to make a huge mess.

That looks outstanding! Are those the original hose clamps or is there a place to get that style? Mine are all the Auto-zone kind and it really bugs me...

GetsUThere said:
That looks outstanding! Are those the original hose clamps or is there a place to get that style? Mine are all the Auto-zone kind and it really bugs me...

Thanks...

The hose clamps are all stock Toyota. All still available and fairly cheap.

Ground Up said:
Thanks...

The hose clamps are all stock Toyota. All still available and fairly cheap.

Really! I had no Idea they were available.

Mental wheels turning....

now here is a guy who knows what restoration means :)

nice work :cool:

Very Nice !!!

Did you also coat the winch also with the the POR? :cool:

Hi All:

"Ground Up" - nice job!

I'm a bit surprised you've decided to keep the three speed transmission.

You might consider coating the frame and underside of the body with the anti-rust coating that the Eastwood Company sells - it is sorta like "cosmoline" - oily, waxy stuff that dries to a durable but flexible film. I have done that on my FJ40 during the recent body tub swap and frame repair project.

So, where in the "PNW" are you located?

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Wow marc- you are over the top. I have never seen a cruiser frame so clean. Not to be rude, but I am wondering if you could rough guess the hours committed to get the FJ40 where it is now?

The reason I ask is that I have this 1979 FJ40 that I want to "restore" in the next few years.

Again I am shocked at how clean that is. Now I really wish I had come by to see this... in person

Aaron

Thanks Guys!!!

mallred said:
Very Nice !!!

Did you also coat the winch also with the the POR? :cool:

I also did the winch with POR15. The only parts that did not got POR15 were some of the brackets and sheet metal parts (splach gaurds, fan housing, radiator housing, valve cover, air cleaner, etc....)

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

"Ground Up" - nice job!

I'm a bit surprised you've decided to keep the three speed transmission.

You might consider coating the frame and underside of the body with the anti-rust coating that the Eastwood Company sells - it is sorta like "cosmoline" - oily, waxy stuff that dries to a durable but flexible film. I have done that on my FJ40 during the recent body tub swap and frame repair project.

So, where in the "PNW" are you located?

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

I am a trusty purist ;). I really don't mind the three speed. I still have the stock three on the tree in the 45 wagon and I can cruise on the highway quite easily. Even though it is a little loud.

Body coating sounds interesting.

I am in SW Idaho.

Marc

RIDDLER said:
Wow marc- you are over the top. I have never seen a cruiser frame so clean. Not to be rude, but I am wondering if you could rough guess the hours committed to get the FJ40 where it is now?

The reason I ask is that I have this 1979 FJ40 that I want to "restore" in the next few years.

Again I am shocked at how clean that is. Now I really wish I had come by to see this... in person

Aaron

Aaron-

I sometimes cringe at the amount of time I have spent on this thing. I started the tear down 5 years ago this November. I have spent countless hours working on the parts let alone researching and tracking down missing parts. I would say in the PTO I could have around 40 to 60 hours. That is dismantling it, cleaning replacing bearings worn parts and taking it back to new.

There are many parts that I have spent a ton of time on individaly to. The steering wheel took around 30 hours to just sand and refinish it. This entailed starting at 100 grit and working all the way to 1500 grit sanding paper. Then hand buffing with rubbing compound and polishing with wax.

The amount of time spent is relative to how exact you want it and your willingness to work thru every detail in detail. I have tried not to take any shortcuts and my end goal was to have a prime example of how the truck rolled off of the ship. I know some will balk at the lift, tires and brakes, but this was so that I can use it on a regular basis. I have kept all the stock parts and at some point refurbish them, put them in cosmolline(sp?) and build crates for storing them.

You are also invited to give a call and stop by anytime. Sorry it didn't work out when you were in town the last time.

Marc

Marc, did you paint that steering wheel? Or just abrade and polish it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom