1964 FJ40 3 speed oil recommendations (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run cheap auto parts store brand GL5 in trans t case, and both differentials. Delo 400 motor oil. Delo is for diesels but modern combustion oils lack zinc, delo, I'm told has just enough Zinc to work great on our old f engines, which are really not picky at all. They'll run for years on elephant renderings...

I did 85-140 gear oil in the cases. When its like 30 below zero, moving the shifter is like pushing a spoon threw peanut butter. Once the rig moves 5' or so, it shear thins enough to work like normal. Engine oil, 20-50 3 seasons and 10-40 winter. I have and use a block heater.

I did 85-140 gear oil in the cases. When its like 30 below zero, moving the shifter is like pushing a spoon threw peanut butter. Once the rig moves 5' or so, it shear thins enough to work like normal. Engine oil, 20-50 3 seasons and 10-40 winter. I have and use a block heater.
what about the GL rating. Are there yellow gears that need to be considered?

I'm sorry I don't remember exactly what the gear oil I used back in about 1985. It came from a local Man-a-fre outlet. I think it was Kendal brand, but I know it was 85-140. I like Castor and Valvoline and the Shell diesel engine oil.

If I’m not mistaken the FSM recommends GL4 in transmission and T-Case. For simplicity sake, I use it in the differentials as well. Driven makes a nice line of oil and gear products.

I’d stick to GL-4 in the Transmission and Transfer case, in the differentials, there is brass and copper, so you may want to at least think about GL-4 there also. In the differentials, I just make sure it’s a rated Hypoid oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom