16in Tire Sizing - Stock vs Larger (1 Viewer)

16 in tire sizing

• Stock Size - 275/70/16

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Wider and taller - 285/75/16

Votes: 24 92.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question on tire sizing. I have an LX with the stock size of 275/70/16. I am currently running Yokohama Geolandar AT-S that are getting to be pretty beat. I think I'm fairly sold on the new BFG KO2s. However, I'm wondering what size I should get. A few months ago, there was only the one larger option:

285/76/16
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...d White Letters&partnum=875R6KO2RWL&tab=Specs

I see that most people on this forum who have picked up KO2s this year have gone with this size. In the past few months, it appears that BFG has finally added the stock size as well:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...d White Letters&partnum=77SR6KO2RWL&tab=Specs

My question is, for a truck that is mostly used on the road, go with the stock size or should I get the larger size? My assumption is that the larger size (which is 8lbs a piece heavier) will make the truck less responsive, decrease braking power, worsen the ride, and worsen the gas mileage but in return I will get slightly better off road performance. Is the difference slight or great when it comes to the advantage? Will I notice any of those disadvantages? Thanks for any input you can give me.

The load range is different on those two tires. Could affect how they ride in comparison. I have 285's and notice it's slightly higher getting in and out. The only other things I can think of are that it is slower when accelerating from a stop, and the speedometer is off around 10%

If you actually take it off road you'll be glad you have the 285s.

As a 100 owner, it's time you embrace being irrational. Get the 285s :cool:

285/75/16 makes your LC look tough.

I switched to KO2's (285/75/16) about a month ago and have been quite pleased. Coming from Geolanders, I think the KO2's will be quite satisfactory.

Going from the OEM LTX's, you do lose on the pavement side of the equation. That said, the KO2's are still just fine on the roads and were surprisingly good driving through torrential rains encountered when I drove to Charleston, SC last week.

If really not planning on leaving tarmac, I do question getting KO2's. Had I still been living in SW Florida, there is no way I would have gotten KO2's.

I been going back and forth between stock and 285 75 16, but I am leaning towards 285. It will be driven mostly on pavement. I really like the look of larger diameter tires. I think it fills out the wheel well better.

I see on CL that there are some Tundra/Sequoia take-off 18" or 20". The overall diameter will be about the same as having 285 75 16. I am hoping I can score something on CL soon. I dont mind larger wheels, and maybe it will improve handling since there will be less sidewall flex. I am seriously considering these take-offs because I notice that the tires can be had cheaper. My guess is that these size are now more popular. Cheaper is always good in my book ;)

Last edited:
There are a few more AT tires out there: Nitto Terra Grappler 2, Cooper Discoverer AT3, Toyo Open Country AT2 to name a few. Have even heard a few good things about Falken Wild Peak AT2. I have the first Nitto TG on my 80 and love them. The BFGs look tougher and I'm sure are fine on the road but look at all options. Personally I'm leaning towards the KO2 for my wife's DD only because they're one of the only ATs that have the size I am looking at 305/65/17. These or the Wild Peak.

But as @brosama said, embrace irrational. Within reason of course, or maybe that goes out the window too :meh:.

For your purposes, I'd also consider going with the 265/75R16 size (32"). Lots more choices, including P-rated vs the 285/75R16 which is pretty much all LT tires. If you go P-rated, just make sure it meets or exceeds OE load rating specs.

For your purposes, I'd also consider going with the 265/75R16 size (32"). Lots more choices, including P-rated vs the 285/75R16 which is pretty much all LT tires. If you go P-rated, just make sure it meets or exceeds OE load rating specs.

@hoser thank you!

I see Tirerack is having a closeout for BFG KO 265/75R16 load range E $163, maybe I should consider this size afterall...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...6ATAKO10&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Just FYI incase anyone is looking for new tires. No, I dont work for tirerack;)

As someone who has no desire to increase tire noise or ride harshness and once made the mistake of putting 265/75/16 E load range BFG KO's on a 1/2 ton pickup (MUCH harsher ride)...

I love my BFG KO2's in 285/75/16. They are slightly louder around town - on the highway they aren't noticeable at all over the wind/motor noise. The ride is different. Its a bit more bouncy on some pavement, but quite a bit smoother going over expansion joints - given I bought this thing to be a cushy luxury off-road machine (rather than a Jeep), the last thing I wanted to give up was the ride. I will honestly say I haven't given up anything substantial in ride quality or noise with these tires.

Also keep in mind, proper air pressure for a 265/75/16 LT is 50 psi, for a 285/75/16 LT it is 40 psi.

I went with 285/75/16 BFG KM2. Love em and they look great. Little noisy but I expect that out of a mud terrain. I had no interest in a all terrain as I get into some slop from time to time while out duck hunting.

Do remember if going with 285's, the speedo is going to be off by around 10%. Not the end of the world, but something to be cognizant of if driving somewhere with speed cameras.

If you don't want aggressive tread, but just a larger tire, I'm pretty sure you can get the Michelin LTX in a 285. And the speedo correction more like 5-6%. I'm on 295/75/16s, and off by just over 6% per GPS.

We have has bfg ko's 285s on the wife's 99 lx for years, no lift, fit perfect, ride great, last forever. Had toyos when we got it, miserable tire, rode way to rough.

Have had 20+ sets of bfgs at and mt....can't see ever buying something different.

Personally I think buying small street biased tires for the Land Cruiser is like putting truck tires on a Porsche 911 with a low speed rating. Sure you may not use the full capability of the tire, but what's the point of the vehicle if you can't at least use it like it's meant to be used from time to time? I bought my stepdad some 32.5" General Grabber AT2s to replace his street tires that were starting to dry rot, and not 1 month he took it off road for the first time (probably had something to do with feeling prepared to use the truck like it was intended). I say go 285/75/16 KO2, Duratrac or Cooper Discoverer AT3.

I did not notice anyone comment on gas mileage changes.

I just purchased an FJ Cruiser with 4x4 and options, don't know the nomenclature but it does have the tilt gauges and subwoofer. Came with Dunlop GrandTreks that still have a lot of tread, but I am reluctant to take these offroad in the Big Bend/Ft. Davis area. Am currently getting nearly 22 mpg which says something about these tires, and my driving habits. That said, I do not intend to stay on pavement, would have kept the Tundra if I did. So what about mpg with E rated tires?

Does anyone have experience with Cooper Discoverer ATP or Pathfinder Brand tires? What about Hankook DynaPro? I assume from a comment above that the $145 Geolander is not that great a deal compared to the $191 KO2?

Hankooks aren't good off road if you ever go in snow. You'll probably loose a few mpg's but it won't take you from 22 to 15

Hankooks aren't good off road if you ever go in snow. You'll probably loose a few mpg's but it won't take you from 22 to 15
Thanks. I spent many hours reading reviews and took my questions to a couple of tire places today. Mounted a set BFG KO2's from Discount Tire after finding someone who didn't try to BS me. Their bring it back policy actually does work, I have returned a set in the past.

So, Sunday it is off to Big Bend/Ft. Davis Mts. and possibly the Guadalupe Mountains.

Getting a set of KO2's slapped on my 100 in approximately 2 hours. Hopefully I love them at $209 each. !!!
285's

Thanks. I spent many hours reading reviews and took my questions to a couple of tire places today. Mounted a set BFG KO2's from Discount Tire after finding someone who didn't try to BS me. Their bring it back policy actually does work, I have returned a set in the past.

So, Sunday it is off to Big Bend/Ft. Davis Mts. and possibly the Guadalupe Mountains.

Update on the MPG question.

I was getting nearly 22 on the Dunlops, local travel WITHOUT running the A/C since we are having a nice cool spring, rarely driving more than 65. I do run a K&N filter and am getting the expected 10% mileage increase.

Trip to the Big Bend without A/C on the BFG KO2's running 70-75 most of the way with little A/C averaged 19.71 MPG. Trip back from the Davis Mountains running 70 on cruise WITH A/C averaged 17.81 MPG.

Tooling around the back country in the Big Bend using A/C intermittently I got as high as 27 MPG on the BFG's.

Summarizing all the activity switching to the KO2's cost me MAYBE .05% in highway MPG. That is a rather questionable percentage since in my experience running the A/C usually costs about 3 mpg in anything, including my Prius. I do not think there is much MPG difference between the Dunlop street tires that came on the FJ and the BFG KO2's that replaced them.

Certainly the peace of mind that came with the KO2's is worth the small MPG difference, and they look badass.

I would post a picture from Big Bend but I haven't found the size guidelines yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom