14bt 5 speed tranny need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys i have a 78 bj40 in honduras it has a b series diesel 4 speed tranny. I got a 14bt a 5 speed tranny. As you can see gathering all parts. My question is i don't know much about differential ratio i belive i have 3.70 ratio ( 9x37) stamp on them. I was told that it would be better to get different ratio differencial because of a size of engine and 5 speed tranny. Any suggestions... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Any suggestions... Thanks

I would wait until the engine is in and you can test drive it. If your planning on big diameter tyres ,you made need 4.11 ratio.

I am already running Pro comp 8069 15x10 with 33x12.5 . And yes i have felt the weight on car as far as throtle respond. Thats one reason i made my decision going 14bt thanks for ur reply.
( any suggestions)

Thanx for reply 4.11 was that on fj60.

4.11 were available on 40, 60 and 70 series,maybe 55 series as well.

It depends on what you want,the 3.70 will be great on the highway,the 4.11 will be better if you want low down torque for offroad.
But there wont be huge difference between either of them.

The axle/diff code is on the aluminium plate on the firewall.

Last edited:
You don't need to change the ratio, is a perfect set up for 33...I use the same drivetrain in a BJ70

Ok. What i will do is get the engine and trans in and give a shot. Thanx for all u guys help.

image-802519651.jpg

Hey guys i have a 78 bj40 in honduras it has a b series diesel 4 speed tranny. I got a 14bt a 5 speed tranny. As you can see gathering all parts. My question is i don't know much about differential ratio i belive i have 3.70 ratio ( 9x37) stamp on them. I was told that it would be better to get different ratio differencial because of a size of engine and 5 speed tranny. Any suggestions... Thanks

If your crownwheel has 9x37 stamped on it, they are 4.11 gears... for 3.7 ratio it should have 10x37..... As has been said, do the engine/gbox swap and see how it feels... :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom