13B-T Rebuild and Mods any more tips (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geckoadventure.net
I have rebuilt my spare 13B-T (from what we know some 1,064,000Ks on the odometer)along with my friendly MEkanic.

Removed CT26 turbo and replaced with rebuilt 7M CT26 Turbo
Everything replaced except Valve springs as we could not source any.
Timing gear from a dead 14B engine to make the idle smoother.
14B fuel pump to go from mechanical to rotary fuel pump. Then modified at a secret location and mods unknown - seriously I have no idea what they did.

Reassembled the engine and did mods to make waste gate etc fit.

Custom 14/13B-T sump due to different timing gear.
Ran engine - removed 14B-T camshaft and put in 13B-T CAM bu the original 13B-T cam broke metal fatigue and it was about to blow if the old engine had done many more K's so we source a second hand one.

When finally up and running we swapped it with the very sick 13B-T in my LJ70 - what a terror pulls like mad very responsive and apparently will pull 20+PSI boost - I cannot tell however until I put a boost meter in and variable boost and the intercooler is connected.

For the cash I could have built a 14B-T but I just want to stay with 13B-Ts as I have them in two vehicles and had the spare engine lying on the workshop floor - just too tempting to pass it up for a 14B.

has anyone else done this mod or similar to a 13B-T?

Haven't done anything that radical, just had my 13BT freshen with new bearings and rings. Had the pump recalibrated and feels like a new LC again. Any gains with the 7M CT26 ? Faster or slower spooling up of the turbo ? Was there alot of effort involved to get it fitted ?

In short answer the difference is night and day. It spools up very fast and comes in very strong. If you floor it even slightly on the blacktop the rear end squirms on the 35" sneakers as the turbo boost cuts in. 7M turbo has twice the vanes hence more air can be pushed through. Runs max 21psi boost however I only do in short bursts. It leaves my friends 14B-T for dead uphill or on the flat.

The modified 14B-T fuel pump is the biggest difference.

YEs lots of mods made for the 7M turbo as it is setup different to the stock 13B-T CT26. Air intake etc all made bigger. Pics in another posting which I made. Malaysian BJ70 or something similar.

Took quite a while to sort i all out (about a month).

Very driveable car unti you really lay into the loud pedal then its a handful. :)

cicak:

Just got notified by Hulsty that you have 14BT IP on a 13B-T. Can you post pictures?

Other mods I can think of is the nozzels. Before I share the details, do you have service manual of 14B-T? and can you post the numbers on the IP?

cicak:

Just got notified by Hulsty that you have 14BT IP on a 13B-T. Can you post pictures?

Other mods I can think of is the nozzels. Before I share the details, do you have service manual of 14B-T? and can you post the numbers on the IP?

Nozzles already done I believe

I will when I get RED back on the road currently is off the road and away from home as the REGO expired when it was in the workshop :(

cicak:

Which nozzels have you got in there? By mod I meant getting P77 in there (nozzels of 1HD-T). The P77 has 5 spray holes while the P10 (nozzels of 13B-T) has four.

More interesting will be the specs of 14B-T nozzels. Are they P10 as well?

The IP also has three tweaking spots which will give more performance. I have tweaked the 13B-T IP to the max and now my intentions are to upgrade it to rotary. Besides the performance, the existing IP injects oil and I get blue smoke at startup. It's either this mod or a 1HD-T to replace 13B-T. (I can't find 14B-T or 15B-T).

I also have done some modifications to alternator. I will post a thread on it soon.

A request again, please do post pictures when ever you have time. Don't kill this thread :)

I will find out now u have spurred my interest even Moore.

Ask Simon from 4x4tv how it goes he drove it in the jungle then got it stuck.

I will find out more 4 u. The 14B-T pump is rotary and is the one too use .

Last edited:
Is there a difference between a 14BT and a 14B pump ?

yes, the 14bt has boost compensator.

Yes sorry I have the 14B-T pump and the 14B puump has no boost compensator.

My mistake typing on the iphone :(

Last edited:
I have checked and confirmed they are 13B-T injectors. I might havea look around and see what my options are 14B-T or 1HZ etc.

However here 14B-T's are more common as they are in all the HINO and DAIHATSU small trucks.

I know 1HZ injectors were very expensive in OZ.

Where are the pictures?

sorry(edit) i now see its a 4 door coilspring lj type of cruiser, 2 door lj would be even nicer !

But many respect for all this nice fabbing !

Last edited:
No reports until MId AUgust when the engine goes back in the rawang doctor is fitting differentials to trucks 22 I believe no time for our trucks for the whole of JULY boohoo as I wanna DYNO REDs newly built engine.

However all my money going on the Volvo rebuild at present 4 months to go before its back on the road.

http://www.geckoadventure.net/ga3-volvo.htm

After than I will look at a GTurbo from OZ.

I will also provide the 14B-T injector pump pics as requested

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom