12V pump for water transfer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
I've been using this setup for a bunch of years when back in oz and I have the same setup here in the US.

Often I want to pump water from a spot that is hard to access or trying to get to the water to fill a container directly is tricky.

So, what I've ended up using is a Whale pump (GP1352 pump - just google it) that runs about $35-$40. It is a submersible unit and can pump quite a few feet of head. I've spliced in about 20' of flexible silicone insulated cable and 20' of silicone hose. Pump draws about 1.5-3A depending on the head it is working against. The pump nominally will transfer 4 gallons per minute with no head and about 1.5 gallons per minute with a 20' head (pretty impressive little fella).

The hose I use I bought -> 3/8" I.D. x 1/2" O.D. Pure Silicone Tubing by the foot - https://coldandcolder.com/products/silicone-tube-3812 and runs about $30 delivered for 20'. 3/8" ID, 1/2" OD. It is very flexible, but doesn't easily collapse when rolled up or just laying on the ground etc.

This is a picture of the pump with hose:

whale2.jpg

Here'a s short video from my recent death valley trip where I was filling a shower bag from a covered spring. In this case I was running it from a small 12V lifepo4 battery since I wasn't near the vehicle to run it from its 12V. I'm filling a shower bag that I of course used to have a shower, but the bag is also left somewhat filled in the vehicle. It's handy to do washing up and also washing hands etc - I just toss it on the hood of the 80 and it's easy access when I need a bit of running water. Simple to use without any complicated permanent plumbing etc., I believe in kiss...

I've also started using flexible water containers -> Outdoors Archives - Wolverine Tuff Bottle - https://wolverinetuff.com/product-category/outdoors/ and am impressed with their strength. I like that they are conform to the shape that is available, making them easy to stuff into nooks and crannies. Since they collapse as they empty, you don't get the sloshing noises from a hard sided container.

Not pushing any of the products, but figured some folk may find some useful ideas for their own use.

cheers,
george.

Keep meaning to copy this idea, so simple and inexpensive. Thanks for the info.

Simple setup I’ve been enjoying for a few years. The pump has a built in pressure switch so it only runs on demand. Refilling via the sliding window without having to remove the tanks is handy.

269F28AD-02D9-40F2-B340-364A62F2023F.jpeg

B41B2C0F-C52B-4BE4-AE3C-F12AE9C415FA.jpeg

FD2B5B45-35AB-4FAF-B2A3-C33E612C4904.jpeg

Simple setup I’ve been enjoying for a few years. The pump has a built in pressure switch so it only runs on demand. Refilling via the sliding window without having to remove the tanks is handy.

View attachment 3033860

View attachment 3033861

View attachment 3033862
Love this setup. Was looking to do something similar.

Do you ever wish you had more than 1GPM? I was originally looking at the 2.2GPM. My use would be mostly kitchen and misc. (already have a separate system for shower)

Love this setup. Was looking to do something similar.

Do you ever wish you had more than 1GPM? I was originally looking at the 2.2GPM. My use would be mostly kitchen and misc. (already have a separate system for shower)
Great question and I had wondered the same. The “jet” setting ranges over 10 yards. I haven’t found a reason why you’d need it. The “center” setting conserves water but provides more than enough concentrated pressure to wash the gunk from dishes. I use it the most. The “shower” setting is great for exactly that. Anything more and it just wastes water. Drinking water aside, you’ll use about 2ga/day for dishes and a thorough shower. That’s without being miserly.

Great question and I had wondered the same. The “jet” setting ranges over 10 yards. I haven’t found a reason why you’d need it. The “center” setting conserves water but provides more than enough concentrated pressure to wash the gunk from dishes. I use it the most. The “shower” setting is great for exactly that. Anything more and it just wastes water. Drinking water aside, you’ll use about 2ga/day for dishes and a thorough shower. That’s without being miserly.

Great feedback. Sounds like plenty for me, and 2lbs v. 5lbs along with size for where I'm placing it is a big difference (removable platform).

Reactions: MoJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom