12v 3b starting starting issues. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For quite some time now, the 3b in my 84 bj60 takes a while to start. In order to start my truck first thing in the day, I turn my key and my glow light comes on for a second, then I have to wait approx. 60 seconds for the glow relay to shut off, then I can turn my key and start the truck. If its cold outside, (5 degrees or lower) my truck will sputter and puff out smoke for about 30 seconds until its warm enough to run smooth. Once the truck reaches operating temperature, when I go to start it, I can jump in and turn the key, and it will start up fine.

Any diagnosis for this? Would a wilson switch solve this issue or does it sound like faulty glow plugs?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

3b hard starts, two simple tests and one harder one.

1 - pull the buss bar and wire off the glow plugs. get a volt meter put it to the ohm setting put one lead on the block the other to each of the tops of the glow plugs. Make sure they all are near the same resistance to the block and none are open.

2 - before hooking the wire back up to the buss bar make sure it’s not touching anything put you meter to volts dc. Put one lead to the block and one to the glow plug common wire. Make sure there is 12vdc for at least 20 seconds cold (on 24vdc system less time is needed)

3 - Assuming 1 and 2 check out ok. Your not going to like this but you need a compression test. You will need a compression gauge that will go up to 500psi. More than likely your compression is low and even lower cold.

Other possible issues.

You could have air getting into one of your injector lines as the motor cools down and the fuel contracts it can pull some air in. Only effects the first start and acts like it’s missing till the air bubble works it’s way threw.

The edic also adds extra fuel while cranking to help with starting. The connecting rod can vibrate out of adjustment. While cranking check to make sure the swing arm on the injection pump is pulled back by the connecting rod towards the firewall. Once started it should sit loosely in the middle of its swing.

Slow cranking from weak batteries or bad connections will crank and start the motor but not give it that quick compression that will help cold diesel explode.

From here.
Some info saved

Last edited:
As above and do a valve set before the compression test.

Here's a Wilson Switch post for a 1983 BJ60, so same setup as yours

Great thread with saved info stevebradford.

hth's
gb

3b hard starts, two simple tests and one harder one.

1 - pull the buss bar and wire off the glow plugs. get a volt meter put it to the ohm setting put one lead on the block the other to each of the tops of the glow plugs. Make sure they all are near the same resistance to the block and none are open.

2 - before hooking the wire back up to the buss bar make sure it’s not touching anything put you meter to volts dc. Put one lead to the block and one to the glow plug common wire. Make sure there is 12vdc for at least 20 seconds cold (on 24vdc system less time is needed)

3 - Assuming 1 and 2 check out ok. Your not going to like this but you need a compression test. You will need a compression gauge that will go up to 500psi. More than likely your compression is low and even lower cold.

Other possible issues.

You could have air getting into one of your injector lines as the motor cools down and the fuel contracts it can pull some air in. Only effects the first start and acts like it’s missing till the air bubble works it’s way threw.

The edic also adds extra fuel while cranking to help with starting. The connecting rod can vibrate out of adjustment. While cranking check to make sure the swing arm on the injection pump is pulled back by the connecting rod towards the firewall. Once started it should sit loosely in the middle of its swing.

Slow cranking from weak batteries or bad connections will crank and start the motor but not give it that quick compression that will help cold diesel explode.

From here.
Some info saved

But why would it start fine after cycling the glow plugs for a minute at a time? If its below 0, it normally starts up after two of these long cycles that I have to do, with no smoke, sputtering or hesitation. Seems like its a glow plug issue, although I could be in denial. Going to do a compression test anyhow, and I'll test the glow plugs when they're out. Now just to hunt down a 500PSI tester :confused:

Every time you cycle you add more heat to the top of the cylinders once there is heat in the cylinders these diesels start quicker and run smoother, its to bad they never came up with the glow screen system like in the later 3B Turbo and 12HT it rapidly heats the intake air/fuel mixture which aids the engine in starting without stumbling and smoking its a far better system.
Wilson switch is your best alternative in colder climates it allows you to cycle for a longer duration and heat up your cylinders for a smooth start up.

Every time you cycle you add more heat to the top of the cylinders once there is heat in the cylinders these diesels start quicker and run smoother, its to bad they never came up with the glow screen system like in the later 3B Turbo and 12HT it rapidly heats the intake air/fuel mixture which aids the engine in starting without stumbling and smoking its a far better system.
Wilson switch is your best alternative in colder climates it allows you to cycle for a longer duration and heat up your cylinders for a smooth start up.

I am starting to think that is the issue. I just pulled all 4 glow plugs to test them, and they all seem fine. They were glowing red hot after about 10 seconds. I cleaned up my bus bar and ran a jumper cable from the positive terminal on the battery to the bus bar. I quickly jumped in, turned the key and the truck cold started imminently, and its 0 degrees outside. No grey smoke, no sputtering like it normally does. I was impressed to say the least because it normally does not do this. Does is sound like wilson switch time?

Yup...For one cold snap I had to use the direct wire method every day to get the 3B going in my BJ60, till I installed the Wilson Switch.

gb

I did not switch them out right away and I don't recall if I ever did before swapping in a 13BT.

hth's
gb

Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom