12H-T tach question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello

I recently swapped an 1988 engine, 12H-T into my reliable Landcruiser LJ-70 and have resolved all issues, excluding one...

how to connect the stock tach to the engine!

I heard somewhere that i can use the bellhousing tach pickup from the 12 volt 2H engine of a 60 cruiser but I cant find the place I read this at anymore and no one seems to have done this before.

Is there any other way for me to use the original tach for this engine? i really really, REALLY dont want to install new tach and leave this one dead.

please give me some advice.

pictures of the swap can be found HERE, quotation in icelandic though

in hope of hearing some ideas...
Larus

Hi Larus,

Does the 3LT tach sender not work with the 12H-T flywheel? If not, you should be able to use a 2H or 12H-T sender. It stands to reason that the meter in the dash should still work with a 2H sender. Even if it doesn't I would think that a HJ-60/62 or BJ-7X series tach would work.

I'm not an expert - just a guy that did a 12H-T swap on a US 60.

Talk to this guy -> Greg Bowe, G&S Cruiserparts (Canada) 604-823-4458, info@gscruiserparts.com.

Hi Larus,

I just posted a thread on the forum planning to do what you did ! :)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=151732

So,I checked your website, but it's all in icelandic can you give some feedback in english please.

Thanks
Issa

did you swap the engine and tranny .. ? in my 2H the Tach sender sits at top left side on the bell housing .. you can try attach it to your factory tach wiring and see ..

The tachos that get their signal from either the pump,alternator or flywheel on landcruisers are not compatible.
You have to match the tacho with its sender

I can't help with the tach but want to comment about the job you did on the LJ, which looks well executed and efficient. It's going to be a pretty nose heavy pig but that gives character huh :D

lot of answers, more questions :)

Mountain Goat: I dont know about the 3lt Tach sender, if you are talking about the 2lt motor, the sender is somewhere on the diesel mechanism, i have not studied it enaugh to know how it works. i want to try it out with a 12 volt sender from the 2H because if it does not work, i can swap in a tach from that kind of car i think :) Thanks too for the contact info, i will try to reach him on monday. can you tell me your GMT offset time so i know when to call? (dont want to try in the middle of the night...)

Khorrassany: i will answer you on your thread, but i can tell you right away that this swap is pretty big... lots of things to modify.

Tapage: Yes i used the Engine and tranny. the 70 cruiser has the same transfer case but the low gear is much lower, so i swapped the gearing.. the lower, the better in the snow.. I am going to try to connect the original to my factory wiring and see what happens. I will also try to measure the output of the sending unit, i actually have no idea how these things work...

RoscoFJ73: Okay, but can I use the tach sender unit from the diesel pump unit somehow with the flywheel on the 12H-T? does it use the same technique? (magnets i guess, to measure revs)??

Denis: :) thank you, yes it is heavier in the front, but with landcruiser 80 front springs (that fit with no modification) it is very good! I sometimes drive on the snow here with 50-75 liters of Diesel on the front without any problems. Actually it behaves better now, the Center of gravity is much lower as I put the engine as far back and as low as possible. i will try to attach a link to my club's website, there you can find wintertravel photos... sorry again, all caption is in Icelandic but if you want me to translate something special, just message me with a link to that particular picture and I will translate it.

My LJ70 with 50 liters of diesel on the front I have one for 3 cans (75 liters) too...

main page of the gallery

thank you for all the answers but bear in mind that english is not my native lang, so there are many typeo´s and strange language to come from my writings.... :)

Last edited:
RoscoFJ73: Okay, but can I use the tach sender unit from the diesel pump unit somehow with the flywheel on the 12H-T? does it use the same technique? (magnets i guess, to measure revs)??

I think the pump sender is an electronic switch rather than a magnet type

I dont think it would be practical even if it was possible ,the sender on the pump shaped for that purpose and they cost $200 each which is an expensive experiment.

However my auto electrician says that there are places that can modify tachos to respond to other signals.
I dont know where you would find someone like that your way

200$

money is not an object here :) specially if its not more than 200-300$

i just want this to work! hehe

but thats an idea... look for someone that can change the tach itself.

OK. 2LT motor. I assumed 3LT. I also didn't realize that your existing tach sender was on the pump.

Rosco is right. A tach sender that counts pump revolutions will not be compatible with a sender that counts flywheel revolutions.

Look in the Diesel For Sale section. I recently saw a couple of 60 series tachs for sale there. They also show up on ebay occassionally.

This guy also has lots of 2H parts cheap.

His ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Private-Parts-4WD

His email address: privateparts4wd@yahoo.com.au

Goofy name. Good guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom