12 HT surge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there

I have only owned the 1986 12Ht 60 wagon for last 5 months, lovely vehcile on the highway.

I have owned many Toyota but this is my first "Turbo Diesel" - I am finding it difficult to drive at idle, when idling through rough stuff it seems to want to surge (almost bunny hopping) is this common with the 12ht or is there something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Wayne Ellard
(Flinders Rangers - South Australia)

Its not common at all. My truck loves to idle and be lugged down. I have seen that issue before though at first start up on a very cold morning, but it went away when I brought the idle up slightly. After the engine warmed slightly all was good.

Do you mean super sensitive throttle pedal and therefore "bucking" over rough stuff - especially if its a 5 spd? - if so yes it is common to mod the throttle pedal pivot and/or springs so it wont snap your neck back if you sneezed on the throttle pedal!! ;)
Good luck! And enjoy.....awesome trucks these 60/61...
:beer:
Johnny

Mine also did it. You can try adding more springs in both directions to calm it down.
Its really quite common on the manuals.

You can also use the hand throttle over the rough stuff and keep your foot off the pedal.

Its not common at all. My truck loves to idle and be lugged down. I have seen that issue before though at first start up on a very cold morning, but it went away when I brought the idle up slightly. After the engine warmed slightly all was good.

I think it is very common. My HJ61 is ridiculous in the rough stough, lurching and bucking like crazy. I just heard about adding a spring to the throttle assembly. Search the board for HJ61 lurching I believe. My throttle is very soft so bumps are transfered easily, and Direct Injection diesel appear to be more sensitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom