100 to 200 pre purchase musings and ramblings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 100 series.

I bought one of the worst ones in existence.

A Boston truck rusted to ****.

It was a lesson in sunken cost fallacy. I wasted too much time remediating it when it wasn't what I needed to tow or make events. It could tow, but it wasn't fun. It was a wonderful offroad and overlanding truck. The only highlights were the suspension. OME springs with koni raids. She partied and hunted down slow competitors at the races.

33P1PSk.jpg

The 100 did all I asked. It became a feedback loop of spending money on the chassis flaws and rust. The 100 was supposed to tow things but wasn't ideal for it. I raced less because of it. I became more of an organizer for racing in that time.

YdOzsl7.jpg

After running all the 1 day events solo doing sweep and dragging everyone out, we got more stage miles and runs for competitors. I was better as an organizer anyway.

Somewhere in the timeline was replacing all the brake lines, the entire fuel system, rebuilding the rear locker, doing a front locker, destroying a deer at 80mph, rebuilding the front end and cooling system, doing the everything. But it is death by a thousand cuts. The frame has to be patched every year. The windshield is cracked and the windshield frame is rusty, this is a massive rabbit hole. After the last mission of towing a dump trailer through a muddy snowy field.... The center diff is stuck on... again....

HqM1XWz.jpg

N6OhTS7.jpg

7WCZLUc.jpg

bYgrgk6.jpg

jV8lmEW.jpg

jev6yLb.jpg

FVYUSe3.jpg

The 100 is dead. Long live the 100.

KyExgPx.jpg

IqSfxnh.jpg

I plan to part the truck out since I don't really want to sell it for liability reasons due to the rust. Just palatize all the 100 mods and armor for another cheap southern truck or sell bits to fund mods for the next truck.

I've been shopping for tundras but the market is absolute junk. I need more dry storage anyway, so a 200 series is intriguing. The LX570 is looking like the move, 08-10 for the higher (meaningless) tow rating sticker and lower purchase price. I have a set of rock warrior wheels I picked up in anticipation of Toyota future things, I know I can slap 285/70/17s on and fit them on any 100 200 or tundra, but I cant get a clear answer of if 285/75/17s will fit a 570 stock. I have no problem doing a sensor lift or trimming plastic. It's the upper control arm clearance I'm concerned about.

The AHC seems great for towing and stops me from mod creep I had with the 100. If I had a land cruiser I would be itching to add to cart BP51s and upper control arms. Things I realistically don't need.

I'm looking to do a fly and drive of something from the south or west, I am not dealing with any rust ever again. Also apparently if I don't want a tan interior I should go **** myself.

Short list of plans. I've read kurts build mantra on his 100 and 200 and after floundering around on builds for years I'm looking to streamline and build a one and done forever truck.

-AHC service once back home.

-tow control. I have a tekonsha p3 and it was great and did everything I ask on my 100. I'm looking at the ID for my next build out Tekonsha | 90920 | Prodigy® iD Smart Phone Configured Brake Controller for Trailers with 1-4 Axles, Black - https://www.tekonsha.com/product/90920_trailer-brake-control-proportional but haven't seen much on them installed on a 200. The redarc obviously fits into a blank but I like the bigger knob and digital display of the ID. I like the quick gain control of the P3 but aesthetically the ID wins and I can just app a profile for different gain or just actually fix the damn trailers... I digress....

-AT tires for the rock warriors. I got a good deal on the wheels and if they're good enough for Monica they're good enough for me.

-Front bumper. I hit a deer at 80mph with my 100, insurance bought me an ARB. I live in rural country and see deer daily. If I hit another one it's getting ratchet strapped to the bumper and the GF will quarter it when I get home. ARB bars are mostly timeless, but it just seems to be a bridge to far on the 200s and tundra gen 2s. The sahara setup is less offensive. Victory is ??? on the early 570s. Ironman looks pretty acceptable aesthetically and is where I'm leaning, Iron man and ARB crash plates and aus certs help me sleep better at night vs just bolting something to the frame horns. I am aware there are "opinions" on ironman, for better or worse. Dissent is gorgeous, but I actually don't want that much clearance and I want hoops, ironically their mantra resonates with me the most but I need to bambi smash first and min-maxing less.

-rear gear. On my 100 I did a plywood platform with black iron pipe feet. Harbor freight pelican knock offs slid under it and it worked well enough. The rear attic was home depot closet shelving hose clamped to the third row handles. The problem was it was always throwing things in the truck and moving around. I'm looking for a cleaner build out and the dobinson drawers look to be the most feature packed. The slide out top seems to be something no one else does. As much as I'd like to DIY I can't be bothered to figure out what slides to buy and a cut list for wood etc etc. The attic will be replaced by a bolt in order option as well. onboard air and power is mostly sorted and carried over from my 100.

-roof rack. I have three frontrunner loadbars on my 100 and they're nice. I need to be able to strap down boats and a roof top tent. The shorty rack of the 570 is a problem. I could do a 200 full OEM rack with 1820 crossbars, or I'm inclined to suck it up and just slam a prisnu or other comparable rack on. What ever is the lowest profile and lightest.

-step sliders. I have slee sliders on my 100. My xterra has no step/sliders and we go boating a lot. Putting bull**** on the racks was night and day when switching trucks. I don't need heavy sliders, so dissent or victory hybrid is the move. They'll be a step first and armor second. A later down the line mod. Factory will be good enough for towing cars and scraping racers out of the woods.

-radio. I guess if I give a s*** I should get a 2010??? My only options are grom vline anyway. I have a chinesium android radio in my 100 and it works well enough. Not sure and don't really care. I just need to be able to bluetooth or aux a phone in for nonsense podcasts.

I’m running 35x10.5r17 with no mods for tire size on an 09lx. I did do 4.88s though. I also ran 275/80r18. Both of these at +35mm offset. You can put in 3/4” spacers for the RWs to get to between 25 and 35mm offset for the tires you’re after

enjoyed reading, I vote swap parts onto a newer/ nicer 100.

I cant get a clear answer of if 285/75/17s will fit a 570 stock. I have no problem doing a sensor lift or trimming plastic. It's the upper control arm clearance I'm concerned about.

285/75R17s generally spec'd at 33.9" x 11.2", with Rock Warrior wheels at +50 offset, should just clear. Probably except for the rowdiest of AT/MTs that have more aggressive shoulder lugs. Even then, clearance isn't generally a problem until full compression at full steering lock. A rare thing. If not, there are still options for higher clearance aftermarket UCAs or this.

I enjoyed your post with clear goals. I think an LX will do well to meet your needs.

I likewise switched from an 100-series in '06 LX470 guise for the increased tow capacity of the 200-series. The LX470 was a willing partner as a support vehicle for track days. I needed more in the motor department when it came to larger trailers. Miss the '06 and she was a creampuff when I sold her to my brother who still has her today.

1675915526223.png

tl;dr :) lost focus.

Welcome to the 200 platform. Go rally! I got my rally license at Tim O'Neil's school in '99 (saw your Team O'Neil sticker).

I've had 80/100/200 - the 200 is a massive upgrade (I still want another 80 for trails - 200 works great, but a big pig and is costly to beat up). Tows like there isn't anything there.

Hit me up if you need stuff, I'm in the Burlington VT area a few hours away.

A heat gun and you can get away with murder on the LX.

Great choice, and sorry about the rust.
Literally same story for me. Was very attached to that truck for personal reasons.
Never again. Anywhere with salt will be lease only now for me. I learned my lesson.

I know you didnt ask for this sort of advice but if youre eyeing "34s" and pining for "35s" just go for the 35s and send it.
Tires are an expensive mistake to make, with no real aftermarket value. I am dumb for not going 285/75r17 off the rip.
Matter fact im just dumb.

I am just here to say I salute your efforts to get into a 570 and get it done right. I also completely agree on doing whatever it takes to get one without a cashmere beige interior. It just does not age well especially for a machine that will be used the way you intend to.

I am all for finding a good one and doing a fly and drive home.

You can go down the rabbit hole of modifying an LX too, just ask @TeCKis300. But the 570 is a great platform to start with, just note there are a few more hassles when you start looking at sliders and rear bumpers.

I had a Tekonsha but ultimately traded it for a Redarc. Unlike my old Acura, there was never a good place in the LC to mount the P3 that didn’t have me stuffing my face into the steering wheel to adjust it while braking. The Redarc is far more accessible when you need to reach down and boost the brakes quickly… I’m a fan now. I moved some of my buttons around so I could make it the most visible in the left panel but many people stick it in the panel to the right of the steering wheel.

There are nice looking Android screens that will fit the east model LC/LX. From everything I’ve read they’re all awesome except when they suck. Pretty standard with any Chinese-based Android anything.

For the rest you’re on the right track, and much of it is just preferences. If you don’t like how far the ARB bumper sticks out, look at the TJM as it’s probably the shortest option with a bullbar that is crash tested.

I believe any bumper sold in Australia has to be crash tested.

I've started looking somewhat hard for an 08-10 LX, and man does it suck.

I'm shooting myself in the foot by wanting the not tan interior.

Found a silver one in VA at a dealer and they didn't call me back. Found a decent looking one in Worcester MA that came from the south, and it has SIX previous owners and 4-6 entries on the carfax had an obvious a millage descrepency. All of these muppets also wanted to make a deal entirely over text message.

I should probably be keeping an eye out for a private party deal where I can just fly in, get dinner and have some beers with the PO, and head out after a nice handshake and a check hand over.

11-13s seem to be the sweet spot on the market right now. Keeping an eye on the mud classifieds. Really hoping for a unicorn one of black and dark interior though.... Will keep looking...

I've started looking somewhat hard for an 08-10 LX, and man does it suck.

I'm shooting myself in the foot by wanting the not tan interior.

Found a silver one in VA at a dealer and they didn't call me back. Found a decent looking one in Worcester MA that came from the south, and it has SIX previous owners and 4-6 entries on the carfax had an obvious a millage descrepency. All of these muppets also wanted to make a deal entirely over text message.

I should probably be keeping an eye out for a private party deal where I can just fly in, get dinner and have some beers with the PO, and head out after a nice handshake and a check hand over.

11-13s seem to be the sweet spot on the market right now. Keeping an eye on the mud classifieds. Really hoping for a unicorn one of black and dark interior though.... Will keep looking...
My neighbor has a black on black lx570. I believe it’s a 2013. I’ll let you know when he decides to sell. He is in and out of cars all the time.

I grabbed a 1 owner 2011 lx. I had a 2010 Lc before it (Silver on Black). I am 100% rocking black on tan with the LX (Its even a "gold edition" with gold emblems) and It's probably the worst color combo out there. However, with proper seat covers and floor liners its not terrible to manage. The black paint on the other hand looks like wolverine double fisted the sides about 100x. It is what it is, Its mechanically perfect, will last me years as a beater/adventure rig and I only paid 19k for it a year ago with 115k on the clock.

private party deals are out there, just be ready to buy...always. History and price made me act on this one.

Regarding the 08-10 model years, I believe 2011 is the first year that bluetooth audio was a thing. I haven’t been inclined to upgrade anything related to the stereo or screen.

I have the Slee sliders on my LX, and they work nicely as steps.

For the rear cargo area, it’s worth checking out the Air Down Gear Up setup as well as the Landshark drawers.

I went from an ’01 LX470 to an ’11 LX570 and have not looked back. Better in every way except maybe rearward visibility, but that’s an issue with anything newer.

Regarding the 08-10 model years, I believe 2011 is the first year that bluetooth audio was a thing. I haven’t been inclined to upgrade anything related to the stereo or screen.

For the rear cargo area, it’s worth checking out the Air Down Gear Up setup as well as the Landshark drawers.

I went from an ’01 LX470 to an ’11 LX570 and have not looked back. Better in every way except maybe rearward visibility, but that’s an issue with anything newer.
2010 is first year of bluetooth audio/music. 08-09 had bluetooth phone profiles, but no audio/music.

Echo support for Air Down Gear Up drawers. Unscientific estimate is 2x usable volume compared to the heavy metal pre-builts from AUS/ZA. Assembly is simple. Use thread locker everywhere.

I'm in the TFW no BT music camp with the '08 TLC; one day I will figure out how to tap in and add a third-party module, but AUX is just fine for now.

Air down gear up sleeper drawer setup is nearly 3k. Yes it can hold more, but I'm coming from 80 dollars of wood and black iron pipe. 3k is unreasonable and I am not fighting for every cubic inch of storage.

DFG is winning for drawers. US company, two top slides. Price is excellent. Fit kit included.

Pushing myself into a corner because of course bluetooth media is 2010+.... and I want a 10 and down for the tow rating sticker.

Called about two trucks today. First one was clean enough for New England and mostly perfect.... Except for smoked in.

Second one had more miles and the dealer sales person was actually really helpful and willing to answer questions.... Underside pics too rusty.

Still on the hunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom