100 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all,
I have been thinking of getting an every day driver that I can also wheel and actually drive to club event. The 40 isn't suitable for long drives and I feel that I miss out on great things. Anyway, I was considering a 60/62 but remembered that I want to take the wife and kids on trail rides and club events. Now I am looking into an 80 and 100. I like the both for different reasons and know the 80 is superior to the 100 in extreme off road. i am not an extreme off roader anyway so that doesn't matter. What I want to know is what is y'alls opinion of the 100 off road? Anyone here have one or even driven or seen one wheeled?
Also, I know the 80 has a solid front axle but what do I need to look for in a 100 that is a must? For example when I am looking for an 80 I am looking for a locked 80. Is there such a thing as a locked 100 or is automatic?

Steen in the upstate has a lifted,locked 100 series that he rides pretty extreme. It sits on 35's. I've seen him do some amazing stuff with it even w/out the solid front axle.
$$ may be an issue with the 100.

Last edited:
100 is a good rig and like dbenke said, Steen has one he wheels hard. he is in Atlanta and is Treasurer of upstate so I am sure if you gave him a call or emailed he would be glad to tell you about what he has done.

100 would likely be more comfortable and overall reliable.....but 80 is best of both worlds in my opinion. Ruggedness and straight axles like 60 series.....4.5L I-6 engine and comfort like later models. Dont discount the Lexus series which you can many times get cheaper than a Land Cruiser just because of the badging.

Last edited:
100 is a good rig and like dbenke said, Steen has one he wheels hard. he is in Atlanta and is Treasurer of upstate so I am sure if you gave him a call or emailed he would be glad to tell you about what he has done.

100 would likely be more comfortable and overall reliable.....but 80 is best of both worlds in my opinion. Ruggedness and straight axles, I6 engine like 60 series ... and comfort like later models. dont discount the Lexus series which you can many times get cheaper than a Land Cruiser just because of the badging.

Fixed it for ya.

I think the 100 series can be found with adjustable pedals, so you might want to stick with it. Plus there is like 10 cupholders so you shouldn't have any trouble storing your balls anywhere.:flipoff2:

Jeremy

Fixed it for ya.

Jeremy

Belmont (former Events Coordinator)Fixed it myself...you dont need to expound on your superior LC knowledge to me.:flipoff2: LOL Shouldnt you be looking for a house, packing up your house, finding a tow rig for your undriveable mystery 40, or trying to part out your brothers 60 to someone?

BBqBoy-

That being said I would buy a 1993 80 series...first year with the bigger motor and last year of their beefy 440 transmission. That is what I would do....:steer:

Then again...you want to buy my FJ Cruiser?

Last edited:
No I wouldn't be caught dead driving that purple thing.:flipoff2:
There are some things about the 100 that really intrigue me. My daily life would be more suited by the 100. Such a more conveniences like cup holders for the family, bigger engine and larger interior space. This would be my family vehicle and weekend warrior vehicle.
The biggest advantage to the 80 is more aftermarket items and cheaper initial cost.

the one thing that bothers me about both of them is that after bumpers, suspension lift and tires....does not appear to be much more you can do to them as far as customizing and making them unique. Maybe it is that they are still a little new to warrant a huge aftermarket following with offroad parts since most are still cruising the malls.

the one thing that bothers me about both of them is that after bumpers, suspension lift and tires....does not appear to be much more you can do to them as far as customizing and making them unique. Maybe it is that they are still a little new to warrant a huge aftermarket following with offroad parts since most are still cruising the malls.

You gotta think outside the box, there are a bunch of things you can do with them...

The degree of mods for either vehicle is only limited by your wallet. In your case $100 ain't gonna get ya to far in either a 80 or 100. BESSINGERSTEIN The german/jewish Pit Master.:lol:

That's racist.
I want my damn $5 back.

Belmont (former Events Coordinator)Fixed it myself...you dont need to expound on your superior LC knowledge to me.:flipoff2: LOL Shouldnt you be looking for a house, packing up your house, finding a tow rig for your undriveable mystery 40, or trying to part out your brothers 60 to someone?

BBqBoy-

That being said I would buy a 1993 80 series...first year with the bigger motor and last year of their beefy 440 transmission. That is what I would do....:steer:

Then again...you want to buy my FJ Cruiser?

Found a house, closing next monday.

The movers are taking care of all the packing, paid $2000 extra for full service pack/un-pack.

My brother can go to hell, I found him someone to buy the whole rig this weekend and he is too lazy to even call the guy.

Mike, I stopped by the other day to enjoy your fine bbg. Figured I should enjoy it while I can before I have to settle for that roadkill they call bbq up in Columbia.

Jeremy

Allright bessenstein heres the deal the average 80 with 150k miles or up is going to typically cost 2 to 3 thousand dollars to bring it up to tip top travel condition, not including mods. The average 100 with 100k or up in miles depending on prior service history is going to cost 1500 to 2 thousand dollars to bring it up to tip top travel condition. The 100 series has many more complex electronic and mechanical components than an 80 therefore the 100 is generally more expensive to repair.( ie.. active trac, vsc, abs, ahc if equipped)There is a long list of common problems with the 100 depending on the mileage.. You pay more initially for the 100 and the repairs are more expensive, example starter replacement on 100 is $750 to $800. cracked exaust manifolds both sides $1800, 2 main o2 sensors $450, leaking water pump $850 to $900, 8 individual ignition coils @ $110.ea, Iridium spark plugs @ $17.00 ea Factory c/d players are junk $550 for excahnge c/d/tuner. Repack front wheel brgs every 30k same as an 80 $350
Never seen a blown headgasket on a 100 series, a few damaged front diffs, 2 trans failures, no rear diff failures. Mechanically the 100 is a solid truck just has more gadjets to fail.
Hope your confused now.
I'm sure Jeremy will add his take on this as well

Thanks Glenn but those figures do not apply to me.

Thats right, i forgot that you are to be charged double due to the pain in the a$$ factor/difficult customer discount. :flipoff2:
We'll have to put you on a cash only status with 50% down before any work is done and a $95.00 per day controlled climate storage fee starting immediately after work is completed.:flipoff2:

Thanks Glenn but those figures do not apply to me.

Fixed it for ya.

I think the 100 series can be found with adjustable pedals, so you might want to stick with it. Plus there is like 10 cupholders so you shouldn't have any trouble storing your balls anywhere.:flipoff2:

Jeremy

I don't need cup holders for my balls. I have your mouth for that and it's a pretty mouth too.

If I had your money Mike I would burn mine.

Good luck with the search. Maybe we can talk about it again at GSMTR 12'. By then you will have gone from a 100 series, to importing a Diesel 70 series, to rebuilding your 40 into a DD, to buying another Prius, to a 4Runner, to a Jeep, and back to a 100 series.

Glen will be retired from all the crazy money this club has thrown at him and you will still be posting 400 threads on whether or not you should put your hardtop back.

Jeremy

Yea maybe but you still will be owing people money that you promised you would pay them. How does that black top that Jim made for you look on your 40? It will probably look great especially when you wear your boil shirts. I will gladly give some money to Glenn because he is the best.
On another note Glenn has contributed to this club a ton. When he says he is going to do something he does it. he is a man of his word. Heck he did a knuckle rebuild for me for free. The way I look at it he has repaid the club back as much as been paid to him.

Talk about what you know.

Jim has over $250 worth of stuff that belongs to me, so I didn't think he would be to but hurt about the $30 for the top.

I never got my original boil shirt from last year that I paid for, so I figured the club either owes me this new shirt, or I will pay for it when I get the first shirt at the same time.

Hell, if its as durable as the 2 club shirts I bought that lost the logo the first time I washed them, you can keep the damn shirts.

Jeremy

enough of the bickering but if you did not get your boil shirt from last year then you only have yourself to blame as I carried them for a year in back of my truck and you never mentioned it to me or asked me to bring one to you...and your office was only 2 miles from mine... and the boil shirts this year have nothing in common with the shirts we got this summer so that is an unfair comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom