100 series transfer case issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to pick the brains of some of you gents. I have a customer with a 100 series (99 lx470 to be exact) and a few weeks ago I did a drive line service too it and found the transfer case fluid to be full of metal and even a few large chunks hanging out at the drain. We advised him to come back in a couple weeks to do a drain and fill to re examine the fluid.

Well, turns out it was just as bad as last time. The customer has no issues with it, no noise or binding. He said it operates fine, other than being slow to engage from time to time. He plans to bring it back in a few weeks for further diagnosis. Question I have is there any common issues with these t-cases? His truck has roughly 200k on it. Before I spend his money and crack the case open is there any worth while upgrade? He's a good customer and he loves his truck. We don't see too many of these with this kind of milage on them, let alone someone who is eager to throw money at it. Any advise that might save him money, or a cost effective upgrade would be greatly appreciated.

He plans to bring it back in early summer. We will discuss options with him when he sets up an appointment.

I have a driveline issue which I think is caused by the transfer case. Yesterday 75 miles into a 100 mile journey I was coming down a small hill on paved road. I started to give the vehicle gas but noticed the RPM gauge going all the way high. At the bottom of the hill I gave it gas again but nothing. I came to a stop and couldn’t move again. The car does not move in reverse, drive, 2 nor L not even in 4high or 4low it works. I looked under the vehicle and notice that in drive the front drive shaft spins and in reverse it changes directions so I’m thinking I can rule out the transmission as it is giving power to the front drive shaft. I’m also wondering how the front drive shaft is spinning freely even when I give it gas. That’s puzzling to me. Im suspecting something is disengaged in the transfer case but I am just looking for some opinions. I didn’t hear any “expensive” sound, clunks or anything I just lost power and it never came back.

I had something similar with my 100 series.
A known weakness is the front outboard CV splines.
The splines shear off & the truck looses drive to a front wheel.
When I got my rig, it had an OEM front CV shaft on the RHS but an aftermarket front CV shaft on the LHS.
The LHS spline sheared & I lost drive. I just engaged the center diff lock & drove (slowly) home.

A temporary fix is the pull the driveshaft to the front diff (being carefull to mark its orientation)
& pull the outboard front hub drive flanges.
With the center diff locked, this converts your rig to rear wheel drive so you can get home for a greater distance. This can even be done without lifting the truck in the air.

*edit. There are many threads on this. Look in the 100 series technical forum under “front CVs”.

I had something similar with my 100 series.
A known weakness is the front outboard CV splines.
The splines shear off & the truck looses drive to a front wheel.
When I got my rig, it had an OEM front CV shaft on the RHS but an aftermarket front CV shaft on the LHS.
The LHS spline sheared & I lost drive. I just engaged the center diff lock & drove (slowly) home.

A temporary fix is the pull the driveshaft to the front diff (being carefull to mark its orientation)
& pull the outboard front hub drive flanges.
With the center diff locked, this converts your rig to rear wheel drive so you can get home for a greater distance. This can even be done without lifting the truck in the air.

*edit. There are many threads on this. Look in the 100 series technical forum under “front CVs”.

Thanks for your reply.

The issue is the rear drive shaft isn’t spinning at all in any gear so I was unable to move. But while in drive or reverse the front drive shaft spins freely but I get no movement from the rear drive shaft. I’m so confused as to what the problem could be. It’s as if something is not engaging in the transfer case.

Have you pressed the center diff lock button ?
If both shafts do not lock, then either the center diff lock doesn’t work or you have a transfer case issue.
Transfer case issues are relatively rare.

You are actually using a thread in the PA-Keystone Cruisers Club section.
I suggest that you repost your query in the 100 series technical forum

There are people there who are more expert than me who can suggest help.

T
You are actually using a thread in the PA-Keystone Cruisers Club section.
I suggest that you repost your query in the 100 series technical forum

There are people there who are more expert than me who can suggest help.
Thank you I will try that

Have you pressed the center diff lock button ?
If both shafts do not lock, then either the center diff lock doesn’t work or you have a transfer case issue.
Transfer case issues are relatively rare.
I press it on and off repeatedly but nothing happens. From the time I owned the vehicle the diff lock light did not work so I’m unaware if it engages or not. I will continue to try and see if I have any luck.
Thank you for the help I will update as soon as I get something to work.

I press it on and off repeatedly but nothing happens. From the time I owned the vehicle the diff lock light did not work so I’m unaware if it engages or not. I will continue to try and see if I have any luck.
Thank you for the help I will update as soon as I get something to work.
Are you stranded? Where are you?

These awd systems can be funny if you don't fully understand how they work. Your t case when not locked is a 3rd open differential. And open differentials send power to the tire with least resistance. If you broke a front cv that's where the power is going. It would be why your front drive shaft spins and why the read dose not.

Try locking the center diff. I don't know these well so I may need help. But I expect you may need to be in 4low? If your lucky it will work in 4 high.

Good luck

These awd systems can be funny if you don't fully understand how they work. Your t case when not locked is a 3rd open differential. And open differentials send power to the tire with least resistance. If you broke a front cv that's where the power is going. It would be why your front drive shaft spins and why the read dose not.

Try locking the center diff. I don't know these well so I may need help. But I expect you may need to be in 4low? If your lucky it will work in 4 high.

Good luck
I had the vehicle towed to my house. I am trying with the diff as we speak. Another thing I am noticing is that I can push the vehicle while it is in park. Not good if you ask me

All your symptoms are consistent with a failed front outboard CV joint spline.
Again, I suggest you repost on the 100 series techical forum.
You will get better help there.

Good luck
This statement led me to the problem. I check my CV and sure enough it slipped out. Had it removed and inserted a new spring clip and it’s good to go now. Thanks you all for the help.
6D8A5763-90F9-4193-A48E-6F51767DFEB9.jpeg

This statement led me to the problem. I check my CV and sure enough it slipped out. Had it removed and inserted a new spring clip and it’s good to go now. Thanks you all for the help.
View attachment 2364249
Glad I could help. I will credit @Redbarn though. He was the one that gave me the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom