100-Series Question - Stiff Steering at Low Speed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello 100-Series family, new to the forum. I have an ‘05 LX470 with 271k that I’ve owned for the past 2 years. It’s a Northern truck (Wisconsin guy here), but with very little underbody rust. We will be moving to HTX in January. I purchased from the original owner at 250k with an extensive maintenance history, primarily at Lexus.

The truck is amazing, but I’ve experienced the doom buzzer twice (alternator and brake booster), as well as had to do the cats and now the steering is intermittently stiff. It got back from Lexus a week ago for the booster and alignment, so I’m not looking forward to another 4-figure bill. I doubt they would have topped off with the wrong fluid at the dealership, and would think they’d catch a rack issue during the 270k service a month back.

Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas?Really hoping to get my truck down to Houston with minimal challenges. Not particularly handy, so bear with me here. Longer term, am I running out of wear parts to replace? 🥴

Anyway, hey everyone and it’s great not to be a lurker any longer! Thanks guys.

3ADEC68C-0D8F-4ADB-AA09-558F9F30D9C7.jpeg

FD67FBED-029B-4613-86D0-FB7F33AC92E5.jpeg

Is the steering fluid low? I would also flush it with a good synthetic ATF, should take 20 minutes over the holiday and see if that helps, could just be old fluid. If not then I guess you would need to look into more extensive steering issues through a shop that knows these rigs.

Is the steering fluid low? I would also flush it with a good synthetic ATF, should take 20 minutes over the holiday and see if that helps, could just be old fluid. If not then I guess you would need to look into more extensive steering issues through a shop that knows these rigs.
Thanks for the response! Steering fluid level is good, so I’m hoping it’s old fluid and just needs to be flushed. Will try that and work my way up the ladder!

I'd try fluid and getting a good bleed on the system. When you drain the reservoir make sure to check if the little screen on the bottom (pickup screen) is clean. There are a few threads on this procedure but it is pretty straight forward (albeit somewhat messy).

At 270k its highly unlikely its on its original steering rack. If it was serviced at Lexus it most likely had a Toyota replacement which is what you want as they last a long time.

Pumps make a lot of noise, typically for a long time before they go bad. Mine had a slight whine on cold starts when I bought it. After a fluid change it has maintained that exact same condition of whining a little when cold and running perfect when warm for over 50k. I did a fluid exchange on my neighbors noisy 4runner pump 5 years ago and same thing.

I'd try fluid and getting a good bleed on the system. When you drain the reservoir make sure to check if the little screen on the bottom (pickup screen) is clean. There are a few threads on this procedure but it is pretty straight forward (albeit somewhat messy).

At 270k its highly unlikely its on its original steering rack. If it was serviced at Lexus it most likely had a Toyota replacement which is what you want as they last a long time.

Pumps make a lot of noise, typically for a long time before they go bad. Mine had a slight whine on cold starts when I bought it. After a fluid change it has maintained that exact same condition of whining a little when cold and running perfect when warm for over 50k. I did a fluid exchange on my neighbors noisy 4runner pump 5 years ago and same thing.
Appreciate the helpful advice! Thinking a bunch of stuff had to already have been replaced, but lots of little surprises along the way. Will definitely try the fluid fix!

Possibly your PS pump or the pulley if there is no PS fluid leak. That when the LX is on low speed/rpm, its not creating adequate pressure in the steering rack and pinion hence heavy steering response during low speed.

Check the vacuum lines to the power steering air control valve are connected and not leaking. You also may need to change the valve.

Thank you!
Hello 100-Series family, new to the forum. I have an ‘05 LX470 with 271k that I’ve owned for the past 2 years. It’s a Northern truck (Wisconsin guy here), but with very little underbody rust. We will be moving to HTX in January. I purchased from the original owner at 250k with an extensive maintenance history, primarily at Lexus.

The truck is amazing, but I’ve experienced the doom buzzer twice (alternator and brake booster), as well as had to do the cats and now the steering is intermittently stiff. It got back from Lexus a week ago for the booster and alignment, so I’m not looking forward to another 4-figure bill. I doubt they would have topped off with the wrong fluid at the dealership, and would think they’d catch a rack issue during the 270k service a month back.

Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas?Really hoping to get my truck down to Houston with minimal challenges. Not particularly handy, so bear with me here. Longer term, am I running out of wear parts to replace? 🥴

Anyway, hey everyone and it’s great not to be a lurker any longer! Thanks guys.

View attachment 3175148

View attachment 3175149
Hello Mud Family! Update on the LX - she made it from Milwaukee to Houston, but the steering started acting up again as soon as we got down here. I took it to Lexus, and they wouldn’t work on it because it’s a Northern car with underbody rust (not trying to call out the dealership). I consulted with the Lexus dealer back in WI, and they considered the rust minimal…but I guess it’s a matter of perspective! Eventually I found a shop that would take a whack at it, and we found out it needs a new rack and PS pump. All was replaced, but apparently a module in the steering column needs to be reprogrammed. Anyone have experience with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom