100 series problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
friend has a daughter with a 2000 landcruiser. when she's driving sometimes it "grinds" to a halt. this happens all by it'self when she's driving down the road. makes a loud "grinding sound". she's had it to a dealer and another mechanic. dealer said rotors and mechanic said wheelbearings. the mechanic "greased" the bearings and said she should be fine. it's since done it again. the daughter says the when it happens and after it comes to a stop that the gas doesn't move the truck. but if she hit's the diff lock button it will drive again.

the truck is about 7 hours from me and i'm getting all this from the mom. sounds like tranny/xfer issues to me but i don't have any hands on experience with these trucks. i would think if the one mechanic repacked the wheel bearings that he would of found something in the front end but it's a little town on the tenn/VA border and the toyota guy said it was the 3 landcruiser he's ever touched.

any help or advice would be appreciated.

dave

well, if this diff lock thing is true, these mechs should be spanked...
E

It seems the center diff was locked and when it bind it would lock itself up. Maybe the wiring was reversed and it automatically lock whenever the truck got restarted. ???
The truck might have different size tires too.

Why would the diff lock engaging cause the car to grind to a stop? Wouldn't it just force the front and rear wheels to spin together and cause a lot of screetching from the tires on a turn?

-Robert

hmmm, I aint never had the front center caps off.......but do 100's have drive plates like a 80? if so it almost sounds like a stripped driveplate kinda noise, and hitting the center diff lock button would make it go again as it now has power to the rear, when stipped the t-case when open wants to send all the power to the end with no traction or something slipping.

diff lock doesn't cause it to grind to a stop, it does that during normal driving. when it comes to a stop the only way to get it going again is to engage the diff lock. it doesn't do it all the time but enough to cause then to stop driving it because they don't trust it. i've never looked at the front end on one of these so i don't know how it's set up.

truck is completely stock, and they do the recommended maintenance on it. brakes were done last september. wiring should be all stock. don't know if they have had any tires changed.

it seems like a tcase type issue to me since the diff lock makes it go again. they said when it comes to a stop that flooring the gas will make it move but barely.

dave

Let's focus on two words: grinding, and stop.
Grinding noises might typically come from pinon gears or bearings. :-[
Stopping could be caused by bearings, but you'd never get going again! :eek: Stopping could also be caused by binding ring and pinon gears. If you didn't :bust: the gear, you'd get going again by unbinding. :whoops:

So my best guest is she's got a bad pinon gear that binds, grinds, and slows her down to a stop; somehow locking the center diff unbinds the gears and lets her continue.

No matter how you look at it, she's got a complex diagnostic problem and likely an expensive fix. She needs a better wrench than she's got in that little VA//TN border town.

LT
8)

I'll say it one more time..........check the front drive plates, if one is striped then it can make the noise and symptoms as she is experencing, at least this is the case on a 80 and I have a feeling a 100 isnt much different.

possible its the front diff.

almost sure its not the t-case.

No one mentioned the traction control. Possibly it’s causing it to lock up?
Also I just had my ’98 in for service and they informed that it uses a special fluid in the diff’s maybe have it examined and or just changed out.

Would have been nice if you gave us a mileage reading on the truck. But I'm thinking alone the lines of front driveline as well. Check the flanges and half shafts. Not sure how the half shafts are held in but a C-clip falling off letting the shaft slip back is plausable. Don't over think it, it's going to be something simple. Just take a good look around I'm sure you'll see it.

Locking the center diff is the key here. It guarentees power to the rear which then gets the truck moving again :D

Hint -
check the rear diff, not the front.
The 100-series is supposedly AWD, which means that it is propelled by the left rear wheel, until that wheel spins and the right rear wheel gets some torque.
If both rear wheels start to spin, the VC provides torque to the front wheels.
In other words, power is all in the rear of the car unless a wheel slips.

Locking the center diff provides power to the front wheels. Somehow that's unbinding the problem, which indicates to me it's a rear diff or rear axle problem.

LT
8)

Make sure she checks that the H/L range lever is all the way in the high position and not "in between". To make sure, have her shift into low and then back to high.

well today she started it and nothing happens. will not move no matter what she does so it's getting towed back to the dealer i guess. i'll let you all know what happens

thanks for the help

dave

[quote author=LT link=board=2;threadid=15637;start=msg148737#msg148737 date=1083428991]
The 100-series is supposedly AWD, which means that it is propelled by the left rear wheel, until that wheel spins and the right rear wheel gets some torque.
[/quote]

Unlocked differentials split the torque equally between left and right sides. Both sides equally propel the vehicle.

[quote author=Rich link=board=2;threadid=15637;start=msg148854#msg148854 date=1083453765]
Unlocked differentials split the torque equally between left and right sides. Both sides equally propel the vehicle.
[/quote]

Actually they split the torque inversely proportional to traction. The wheel with the least traction gets the most torque.

I do believe with a standard open differntial the torque is split equally to both sides, regardless of traction.

Well jack up one tire off the ground and try going somewhere. There aint s*** for torque going to the one on the ground, otherwise you would move.

This is what traction devises are for. A locking diff is 50/50 and a limited slip is not quite 50/50 because some slip is built in to that device and the low traction side gets the majority.

An open diff on identical traction surfaces travelling the identical distance will have a 50/50 split. But that's the only time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom