100 series Break fears in Central Florida (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my 276k mile 2000 LC about 6 months ago from a co-worker who was the only owner. He knows very little about the service history except that he took it to the shop on a regular basis and paid them to fix what was wrong! He used Toyota of Orlando for the first 80k or so then began taking it to a shop on south orange for the next 200k. I’ve visited the private shop and they were nice enough to print me all of his history there. Regular oil changes, recent radiator, recent breaks pads and rotors, fixed a power steering issue. I did the TB and water pump since purchase.

The more I read on the 100 series page the more concerned I am becoming about break failure! It seems that there is a new post every day with someone experiencing this. I got the rig primarily to tow my boat on the weekends with my family so you can understand the concern.

So, my question is, who is my best bet to have this checked out and repaired properly without spending $4000 to fix my $5000 weekend truck? It’s well beyond my skill level and too important to be something I want to try to learn on the fly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

There aren't any really Cruiser-knowledgeable shops in Orlando area, unfortunately. Complete brake failures are very, very, very rare. Expect to pay $2-2.5K or so if you have to replace the MC unit, which has the brake booster pump in it, which is the part that fails. There is a fix to do this inexpensively having the booster pump rebuilt, but you will be hard pressed to find a shop that will touch this, too much liability for them.

Mark,
Have had the issue yourself? Seems like the stories are all coming between 180k and 300k.
Also, thanks again for those shocks. I have an Air Lift coming in this week and I plan to install them all together

Oh, crap, forgot it was you. :)

I'm going to hit the u-pull lots sometime soon and get myself a booster pump to get rebuilt. Since I do my own wrenching, it's not going to be a big deal fro me. Remember, there were hundreds of thousands of Toyotas sold in the US that used this exact same part, not just Cruisers. A few of them are going to break, eventually. I do see posts from MUD members, but that is a small cross-section of all the Toyotas using this part that are on the road. If it were a common problem, it'd be all over the place.

What other models used that pump. I know it’s almost impossible to find a cruiser at a yard. Also, if you can share with me which companies rebuild them.

Haven't found a place to do the rebuild yet. There are a few that I have found, there is a thread here on MUD about it. Couple of Lexus models, early 2000s 4Runners, some first gen Tacomas.

There was a post a couple weeks back where someone linked to a company in Colorado I believe that rebuilds the booster assemblies. It was in the 100 series section.

Looks like the brushes just go on them. Any good local alternator/auto electric shop should be able to fix them, I'd think.

So I guess now I just need to figure out if I run it till it fails or change it preventively.

So I guess now I just need to figure out if I run it till it fails or change it preventively.

I’m not familiar with this 100 series booster pump but have you had any indication that you have a problem ?

I usually end up fixing stuff when it breaks :doh:

My shop is in Winter Park, if you ever need a hand with wrenching just give me a shout and I’ll be happy to help teach/provide tools.

Matt, I may take you up on that offer. I also live in Winter Park. I haven’t had any problems with the breaks yet, but from the reports, when the booster pump fails it gives you little and sometimes no warning at all.

I think the more critical item to address is the state of your emergency brake system. If the booster fails, you should be able to stop the car with the E-brake (like they are supposed to teach in drivers ed).

I know my ebrake is so rusted up that I need to replace the entire assembly along with the disk backers on my axle. Major fix.

Yeah, I made sure the E break was in working condition as soon as I became aware of the issue. I have been reading up on how to adjust it so I can maintain it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom