100 series antenna, FSM owners please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SpaceGhost

GOLD Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Before I rip my wife's Cruiser apart any tips from someone that has pulled the antenna motor to fix it? What does the FSM offer as advice, special tools needed, and beer count?

Refresher, the toothed nylon part broke off at the base of the mast. I have a new mast assembly but can't get a hold of the nylon piece thats hiding down in the bowels of that assembly. This is from the top, so I figure I'm gonna have to puill the unit out and start surgically convincing it that I am in charge. Its a 2000 UZJ100.

She'd be kinda pissy if I get it started and can't complete the job in one session. Thanks in advance.

how about heating a coathanger thats been straightened and trimmed to get down in there,then stabbing the nylon end and see if that wont get it out......one last try before ya hafta dismantle it?

sorry i dont have a 100 or the fsm or i would go with its most likely better wisdom ::)

doug

Mike,
As I understand it, you and I have the same antenna motor. Here is my best recollection of what had to be done to open the motor and remove the broken piece.

On the 80 series, there is a hole in the right front inner fenderwell providing access to the motor. Remove the trim ring from the antenna. Remove any accessories blocking the access hole. Remove the 2 bolts holding the antenna motor to the inside of the fender.

From the cabin, gain access to the rear of the radio. (Sorry, can't help you here.)  Find where the antenna cable plugs into the back of the radio. Remove. Use duct tape or something to attach a straightened coathanger to the antenna plug. (This is so you can easily retrieve the cable later.)  Pull the antenna cable to give you about 3' of slack. You'll want the slack close to the PS firewall grommet where the antenna cable passes through the firewall.

From the engine bay, pull the slack through to the engine side. Now you should have enough slack to remove the antenna motor assembly and set it on something flat under the bonnet where you can work on it. Open the antenna motor (2 or 3 phillips screws if I remember) extract the broken piece, seal, and close the motor. Take note of the direction and position of the broken nylon gear.  Reinstall the motor using the 2 bolts inside the fender.

From the cabin, pull the cable back through the firewall, plug to the rear of the radio, and reinstall. Put dash back together.

Now, you're ready to install the new mast. (This may be a '97 procedure) Have an assistant run up the antenna with the dash controls. All the way "up" (yes, there isn't a mast but the motor has to go up.)  Shove the nylon ribbed feeder into the motor. I believe the ribbed side will face the rear of the vehicle. It will be obvious to you as you will remember which way it should go after you removed the broken piece from inside the motor. Have the assistant use the dash controls to run the antenna down as you feed the feeder and mast into the motor. Stop when the mast is completely in. Replace the trim ring and test. It may take a few up/down cycles for the motor and radio to remember the antenna position.  Test by running it up about halfway with the radio on. Then turn off the radio. Antenna should fully retract. Turn on the radio; antenna should return to prior position.

Sorry for the rambling.
-B-

Thanks Beowolf. Looks like I have to remove inner fender access panel to get an idea what else has to be removed. If anyone has the manual, tips on getting to the motor will be greatly appreciated.

Gonna try stabbing at the nylon first, thanks 96! Maybe thats what hemostats are for? 

i tried to post this last night,but site was down at around 12:30 pm so here it is:

i work in the medical field,and i am holding a 14" shafted clampy thing(cool medical term)its probably not long enough but maybe you can find something similar at a parts store?

here are a couple of bad pics(trying to hold the camera,take the shot,while holding the clampy thing,AND the batteries are giving up on the camera,it shuts off if i dont snap the pic right away)

clamp%20at%20end%20of%20shaft.jpg

handle%20that%20works%20the%20clamp.jpg

i dunno,but it cant hurt to try something before ya tear down the dash,and the inner fenderwell area

good luck

doug

ps: after the site went down while trying to post this and i saved it for reposting i thought of another thing you might try

if the heated wire/coathanger doesnt work,try using a small die and putting some threads on that piece of wire/coathanger
and then grinding the tip real sharp(maybe epoxy a #4 or #6 screw to the end? if you cant make the threads) then see if ya cant twist it a little bit into the nylon piece thats left in there!!

I'm not one to throw cold water on innovative ideas but consider this:

When my ribbed plastic feeder broke, the whole thing was coiled down in the motor assembly.  Imagine a watch spring inside a watch and trying to stab into the end of the spring. Unless the plastic feeder was stuck in the "straight" part of the motor there is no chance you will get it out this way. If it *is* stuck in the straight part of the motor then you will most likely push the broken piece down into the cavity where the coiled feeder goes when the antenna is retracted.

I don't think it is even worth a try as the chances of success are slim and none.
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom