100 Guy Builds a 4Runner: Project Low (budget) and Slow (progress) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently transitioned from a 2000 LC100 (with 248K miles) that was custom built for my needs to a gem 2018 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium (with a miniscule 5K miles). One thing I didn't do for the LC was start a build thread to capture mods, upgrades and lessons learned. So...(lesson learned) here's the build thread for the new truck.

Disclaimer: If you're looking for something that is quick moving and will include a ton of mods to get you to a rock crawler or dedicated overland vehicle, this one's not for you. If you're looking for information and photos of my decisions and mods to a truck that will be a daily driver, upgraded to make camping, exploring, and backcountry adventures more enjoyable, stay tuned and be patient.

Mod 1: ARB single air compressor.

I originally purchased and installed the compressor on the LC, so I pulled that before parting ways with the truck. I only plan to use the compressor for inflating an air mattress for time to time and airing back up while patiently enjoying an adult beverage so the single will do the job, for now...

After spending an obscene amount of time debating whether to build my own mount or not (and even making one attempt), I decided it was best to let the pros make one for me. I went with the Rago Fabrication mount due to the mounting location in the engine compartment and not needing to relocate anything to complete the install. Overall the Rago mount is good quality. I didn't like the fact that it appeared to be bare aluminum (I'm sure there is some corrosion conversion on it, but just didn't like the look) so I shot all the components with aluminum etching flat black paint. After paint, the install was pretty straight forward, no written install instructions, but there is a decent video out there as a guide. Another change I made during install was to toss the undersized washers that came with the kit as they would have dimpled or even pulled into the slots in the mount and used some appropriately sized washers I had in the shop.

Pro Tip: Make sure you mount the compressor to the mount BEFORE installing the mount...

Wire routing, terminations and switch install are all straight forward, just follow the instructions from ARB and your chosen switch provider. I read some horror stories about trying to tie the lighted switch to the dimming circuit and steered clear of that...no issues and don't even notice the illuminated switch during night driving.

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1260.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom