10 Spline Carnage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser_Nerd

That 25 Guy.
Threads
:doh:
mandc.JPG

Jim, I can relate to the 10 spline "twist-off" did it many times. At least on the 25 the front axle cover comes off, to fish out the broken stub from the third member! Never went anyware without spare inner and outer ball axles. John Pardi

This was the rear. Never had to deal with it before. Removed the side spider, and ground down the axle stub to free the C-Clip. Fun!:D

Parts Tip-------When servicing or replacing these 10 spline axles, front or rear, and the outer short front claw type axle. Look down the splines to see if they have started to twist. They should be straight! I have tossed out a few, If your buying used axles, check out the splines. This happens on fine spline axles also. John Pardi

Thanks John, that's one of the first things I did with the other shafts. Mostly because I think this must have been twisted before failure.

Truck was sitting unused before we got it. It served parking lot plow duty - no wheeling. The engine was frozen. The only thing I can think of that might have broke the shaft is if they tried to free the engine by tugging it. Even with that, I wouldn't think there was enough traction to twist a shaft. Or maybe the engine seized while they were motoring along.......... :confused:

I think with the gearing in project Crusty you'll be getting a little more practice with that sort of repair. Well, maybe not until you get it running and stuff...;p

Nick

Nick, I'm having serious second thoughts about this........

but then again, it would have to be complete to able to break it!:D

Looks like it was about time to change this inner axle bushing. :rolleyes: Wonder why the knuckle was full of oil, and the grease was in the axle tube? :confused:
123 (13).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom