1 hd t on Hilux 2l t model 1996 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello brothers. I am new in forum and i want your lights. I have a Hilux 4x4 model 1996 with 2l t engine. I want more horsepower and torque. Can I swap 1 hd engine to my truck?

Hello brothers. I am new in forum and i want your lights. I have a Hilux 4x4 model 1996 with 2l t engine. I want more horsepower and torque. Can I swap 1 hd engine to my truck?

I don't think the 1hdt motor will fit. Too long, and too heavy. Probably 1KZT is your best option. Or buy a gas engine truck.

Why don't you just tune your 2LT? 2LT goes good with a front mount intercooler, more fuel and 20psi.

If your engine has the newer 2LT model CT-9 turbo, you might benefit going to the older CT-20a turbo for more peak power potential. Although the CT-9 probably spools faster.

Can you post a picture of your engine? I'm curious which version it is.

Last edited:
Welcome/Kalos erthes brother to Mad, your new home! 🍷

In respect to the 1HD motor I concur with 2LTE Abuser!
A friend of mine swapped succesfully the 1KD-FTV, 3.0 L (2,982 cc) engine in his 2L powered 1995 HiLux.
He's living in Chalkis, Greece, so you could, perhaps, have a look...

Last edited:
Welcome/Kalos erthes brother in Mad, your new home! 🍷

In respect to the 1HD motor I concur with 2LTE Abuser!
A friend of mine swapped succesfully the 1KD-FTV, 3.0 L (2,982 cc) engine in his 2L powered 1995 HiLux.
He's living in Chalkis, Greece, so you could, perhaps, have a look...

The 1KD-FTV would be an awesome engine! But be prepared for wiring challenges.

GTSSportCoupe/2LTE abuser said:​

" The 1KD-FTV would be an awesome engine! But be prepared for wiring challenge"

It should be awesome indeed!

Our guy in Chalkis, Anthony, told me that he has first looked for the 1KZ-TE (3.0 L, 4 cylinders, SOHC, 2 valve per cylinder) turbo diesel engine, because it's less expensive and more simple.
However, as he has not been satisfied with what he found in the local used parts/scrap market, he opted for a same displacement but more expensive and complicated 1KD engine.

The reason is that he found a complete donor vehicle, a LC 90-Series, with only (supposedly) 110.000 kms.
The swap, despite the challenges, has been succesfully performed by Anthony himself. He used many Cruiser parts, namely all the electrical parts except the body's tail-lights.
He even swapped the LC tank, but kept the Hilux dashboard though (LC's dashboard being 2 cm wider)...

Last but not least, as you have it anticipated, the HiLux axle/final ratio is really low for the new engine, my Canadian brother!

Last edited:

ExpendableHilux said:​

"will wiring be a big problem?"
According to Anthony, not really, if you do have a complete donor vehicle...

Not being yet a Mad member, Anthony, sent me, to the delight of Muders here, this video.
You can get an impression and enjoy some Toy D4D music.

The voice you hear is of his co-pilot, the youngest of his four daughters.

Last edited:
Not being yet a Mad member, Anthony, sent me, for the delight of Muders here, this video.
You can get an impression and enjoy some Toy D4D music.

The voice you hear is of his co-pilot, the youngest of his four daughters.

That is great; thank-you for sharing!

The 1KD is one of my dream motors to put into a LJ78. Someday maybe.

GTSSportCoupe-2LTE abuser said:​

"The 1KD is one of my dream motors to put into a LJ78. Someday maybe."

I can wish you that wholeheartedly, mate!
The same goes for our asking bro, good luck/kali tyche with your search ExpendableHilux, glad if I may help!

Anthony sent his greetings to our Mad community with some more pics detailing his 1KD TD engine swap in his 3rd generation HiLux (1995, Austrian market, Front & Rear solid axles):

1.jpg

2.jpg

As it concerns the wiring, everything from the donor 90-Series Cruiser has been transplanted:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

It would be for me too mate, as I am definitely no wrencher!
However, for guys like Anthony and so many other great motorheads posting in this forum it should not be a deal!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom