09 LX570 many dash lights and VSC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
Threads
On a recent work trip I was met with some unfortunate dash lights and my 09 LX going into a limp like mode when trying to leave my hotel.
Check VSC on disply
4lo flashing
Engine light on
VSC light on

I limped to a dealer who said they couldn't look at it until monday.... it was friday at 430pm and they closed at 5pm. Being 400km from home and with work people depending on me I disco'd the battery for 10 seconds and reconnected.... Drove the 400km home without issue and stopping and starting the truck a few times.

Then this am jumped in it to drive to work. Remote started it (I'd remote started it accidently at hotel too) and went to drive away. Same lights, same limp.

Remote starter has been in place for 2 months used a few dozen times. No issues like this

No other symptoms at all with the truck....

Where should I start? Self diagnosis some how? Std OBD2 reader work for this or not.?

My 73 FJ40 3 speed drove me happily to work :)

I had mine come on after a full service gas station filled me up, not sure if that's what somehow caused the issue. Quite a few threads on this. Some the gas cap, some the filter. In my case i checked the gas cap, then disconnected the battery overnight, re attached and have been problem free for over a year

ah thanks for the threads.. I'll do some reading and checking

Pull the codes with the OBD reader. Post them up when you get them.

Replaced the battery and all was good for a couple days.... or so I thought.... now its back and wont clear. Can clear the codes but they come right back. P2442 secondary air injection valve stuck open, Looks like a common issue with this engine.,.. :(

Anyone dealt with this. I think my options are to:
1. Replace the valves
2. Buy the Hewitt bypass kit and block off the valves...
3. Take it to dealer and let them deal with it.... not in warranty so would likely cost a fortune.

Did some more tinkering. Pulled both fans out. One was full of water. All dried out and working now. Can’t find a fuse for them though as it isn’t clear if they are getting power from the truck or not. But they both turn on when hooked to 12v

Fuse isn’t in the place it says in the fuse panel unless I’m missing something obvious

Ordered a replacement valve set off amazon. Should be here Wednesday. Hope that resolves it all... can tell valve is stuck open as with line off it blows out of the engine side....

I received the Hewitt bypass yesterday and installed the wiring today. Can someone explain the block offs and their purpose?
Thanks!

I found on another site that there are secondary sensors that will trip the cel if there block offs aren't installed, after the second cold start. I didn't test that out and installed the block offs, they were much easier to get to and install than I imagined. All in, about 2 hours working with my 8yo daughter.

We also got a trip in to the Georgia National Cemetery, it's humbling. Thank you to all who serve, served and supported them!

On a recent work trip I was met with some unfortunate dash lights and my 09 LX going into a limp like mode when trying to leave my hotel.
Check VSC on disply
4lo flashing
Engine light on
VSC light on

I limped to a dealer who said they couldn't look at it until monday.... it was friday at 430pm and they closed at 5pm. Being 400km from home and with work people depending on me I disco'd the battery for 10 seconds and reconnected.... Drove the 400km home without issue and stopping and starting the truck a few times.

Then this am jumped in it to drive to work. Remote started it (I'd remote started it accidently at hotel too) and went to drive away. Same lights, same limp.

Remote starter has been in place for 2 months used a few dozen times. No issues like this

No other symptoms at all with the truck....

Where should I start? Self diagnosis some how? Std OBD2 reader work for this or not.?

My 73 FJ40 3 speed drove me happily to work :)
Compustar remote start? I had issues that would come and go randomly when I had a remote start. It would do the limp mode thing and also go into “start” mode where the gauges, signals, would stop working. I took off the remote start and haven’t had issues in 4 years.

Hey folks I should update. Took intake off engine to access secondary air valves. Not a hard job but just a little finicky.

Replaced valves, at least the upper actuator sections with the new ones. One torx of course stripped out and had to be welded on to get it out again.... what a bear...
Re assembled and got a slough of new lights..... bummer. Phoned Doorman the manufacture and they belived an error with the part. So I pulled them all out again...

this time I cleaned and forced the toyota valves open and close with a pick. Lubed the stems and seat up and put them back in with fingers crossed....

Been good ever since. over 5k km on it already. Very happy...

Does this fix allow VSC and all other safety systems to work as designed? Any safety concerns with the bypass?

Running bypass will not affect any of the safety systems whatsoever. The bypass simply keeps the AIP system from running at startup. It works by adjusting the MAF parameters so that the ECU thinks the ambient temperature is outside the parameters for AIP operation. For example, if you live somewhere that winter temps drop below ~40F, you'll never hear this system run under those conditions. The bypass is only in operation for the first 10 seconds or so of the startup sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom