'09 LX Check VSC System- Dash Lights & Trouble Codes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently had the "Check VSC System" message pop up on my dash along with a host of warning lights (traction, check engine, flashing 4LO, etc.). Battery was replaced in 2019 with a Lexus branded 8 yr. battery. I think it's still good...12.4 volts in acc mode and 13.6 volts after startup. Went ahead and preemptively replaced the gas cap and cleared the codes but they keep popping back up. No drivability issues when the codes are cleared.

Anyone have any experience with this???

LX Codes.JPG

Dash Lights.jpeg

This is probably in your future. Kit is easy to install and was done in an hour or so.

@tbisaacs I was really hoping it'd be something simple like gas cap or battery and not a bad air pump motor. I briefly started reading about the bypass kits by Hewitt Tech. Seems like Gen II models have addressed most issues that owners were having. I may try to get it over to the dealer to confirm before I drop $400 on a bypass kit.

@montegofd3s, Thanks! That's the kit I was looking at. Install doesn't look too terribly complicated. I read on here where several guys aren't even using the block off plates. The last time I cleared the codes was yesterday morning around 7:30am. So far, they haven't come back on today...so we'll see!

Does 13.2 volts seem too low for battery voltage when running? I'm considering just swapping the battery to confirm that it's not contributing to my symptoms. Current battery was purchased in 2019.

@montegofd3s, Thanks! That's the kit I was looking at. Install doesn't look too terribly complicated. I read on here where several guys aren't even using the block off plates. The last time I cleared the codes was yesterday morning around 7:30am. So far, they haven't come back on today...so we'll see!

Does 13.2 volts seem too low for battery voltage when running? I'm considering just swapping the battery to confirm that it's not contributing to my symptoms. Current battery was purchased in 2019.

If the code is "bypass valves stuck closed" you would not have to use the plates, but since you have a "bypass valves stuck open" you will probably have to use them. If your truck isn't very rusty its easy to put them in. There are good youtube videos showing people doing the install on tundras which helps to understand the steps needed.

Voltage is low so always a good place to start. I will say that mine started intermittently like you are experiencing now, but slowly got to a point where the codes wouldn't clear anymore or would just come back immediately. I have been running the gen2 kit for almost 2 years with no problems.

If the code is "bypass valves stuck closed" you would not have to use the plates, but since you have a "bypass valves stuck open" you will probably have to use them. If your truck isn't very rusty its easy to put them in. There are good youtube videos showing people doing the install on tundras which helps to understand the steps needed.

Voltage is low so always a good place to start. I will say that mine started intermittently like you are experiencing now, but slowly got to a point where the codes wouldn't clear anymore or would just come back immediately. I have been running the gen2 kit for almost 2 years with no problems.
Good to know and glad to hear you're 2 yrs. down the road w/no issues...that definitely eases my worries about the bypass kit. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom