05 Sequoia vs 97 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this in the 80's section, since that is where I usually roam...

I have a wrangler for off-road and dirty stuff. My LC is a DD, but I am thinking about the Sequoia.

Found a nice 04 with 66k (limited)

one of the reasons I am getting rid of the LC is that I don't have the time to wrench on it like I used to.

I do about 25k a year (miles)

Anyone have issues with their Sequoia?

Struts are very expensive compared to 80 series shocks. Build quality is good, but not LC good. Timing belt changes suck. They have a lot more room and are more comfy on the road. More power for towing/merging. Stock stereo is MUCH better. Gas mileage is the same. The front end on the Sequoia is easier to maintain. The starter in the sequoia is MUCH harder to access. Rear AC in the sequoia rocks.

Sorry for the random order, but that is all I can think of for now.

How many miles on your 40th Edition LC? Is it locked? Getting rid of it? Have you considered a 100 series?

I had a 99 Landcruiser that I drove to 200k, sold it and took my wife's 03 Sequoia. I cannot comment on the 97 cruiser, but I can give you over 90k worth on the Sequoia. Good truck overall. Mileage is a bit better than the cruiser. Check the ball joints as mine were covered under recall, but I think that they wear pretty quickly. Also need to rotate your tires every 5-7k, as this truck seems to wear tires faster than my cruiser did. I actually feel that the AC is a bit weak in this truck. It takes it a bit to get it cold when it is really hot outside. As far as off road, this is not a cruiser, but it is not too bad. My biggest complaint is that I cannot turn off the traction control unless I go to low range. I am off road a few times a month, hunting and fishing, and sometimes need to move at 25-30 mph across muddy fields to "stay on top". It would be nice to not have the damn traction control trying to control me. It crosses water pretty well, but has quite an overhang on the rear side compared to the cruiser. I rub the flaps and spare tire quite a bit where the cruiser did not touch. The running boards (factory) are pretty tough, although they are not sliders. I have had full weight of the truck on them in deep snow, sand and mud and they have not folded up as of yet. I tow with my truck and it pulls my 19 foot bass boat pretty well. I don't wrench my truck, so I can not talk to the maintenance stuff. I have a Toyota mechanic that takes good care of it for me. Basically, my maintenance is by the book and with an open checkbook. If you have any other specific questions, please feel free to let me know.

two weeks ago I sold my trusty and beloved 80 series LC (1HD-T, dual fuel tanks and dual AC's) just got me a 2008 Limited 4X4...it is a huge difference...I have not taken her to play yet, but I will get back in that

I was in the same boat as you until earlier this week. I have a '96 LC factory triple locked with tons of mods. I purchased new and have 130k on it. I just purchased a 2008 Sequoia 4x4 limited so I can't offer much help. I went with the '08 to avoid the timing belt and ball joint issues.

I never really considered selling the LC, just looking to add to the stable.

Gas mileage is better then the 80 rides much more comfy can tow a trailer almost as good as my Ram 2500 except stopping. I have over 250,000. Largest problem is the back hatch has broken inside 3 times. Hate the anti slip. May switch the axles out and eliminate that.
122E249C-E9FA-4B30-AF97-0CE02F7B65CB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom