'01 LX 470 Radio wiring assistance (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to replace factory radio and amp with new Alpine head unit and amp.
I have found several wiring diagrams on the forum here and online but none seem to match what I own.

I would like to do this job myself but only if I know what I am doing before I start. Does anyone have experience with replacing the factory radio and amp with the wiring components shown below? I would like to use the existing wiring to install new units - or maybe this is not the best way - should I look at running all new wires?

From my research I have found no wiring harness to use with the radio. I thought it would be a 22 pin in the back of the radio but it's actually a 20 pin connector.

ampwire.jpg

radio plugged.jpg

radio.jpg

I think I had that same radio. Last I checked, there is not a harness you can purchase to mate up an aftermarket head unit. I ended up just taking mine to a stereo shop and paid them about $75 to get it done, including installing the Bluetooth microphone.

You wont need to run new wires. Search around here, I'm pretty sure there is a thread or two about how to wire it up and keep your factory amp.

Benchmark Soundworks in Alpharetta did an entire system for me in my '01, I highly recommend them, excellent work and really good group of guys.

I have no idea how they figured out the wiring.

Benchmark Soundworks in Alpharetta did an entire system for me in my '01, I highly recommend them, excellent work and really good group of guys.

Thanks for the local referral pman, if I can't figure out how to wire it correctly I will likely go see them.

I think I had that same radio. Last I checked, there is not a harness you can purchase to mate up an aftermarket head unit. I ended up just taking mine to a stereo shop and paid them about $75 to get it done, including installing the Bluetooth microphone.

You wont need to run new wires. Search around here, I'm pretty sure there is a thread or two about how to wire it up and keep your factory amp.

Thanks TXLX100 - looking to also replace the factory amp with an Alpine amp.

The 22 pin is in the Nakamichi head unit.

The color codes should line up with other models - I would cut the connector and wire to new head unit. You are never going back to the old HU - EVER!

For example in the 16 pin connector I would guess that the Red is Right Rear Speaker (+) and White is Right Rear (-). Same as Nakamichi.

For the 20 pin connector I would look at other versions with wiring codes... I'll dig up something for you.

Last edited:
This page might be helpful... Also, there is a hyperlink on the page with wire coding (pinout chart).

http://www.celiamania.com/wordpress/?p=181

TXLX100 - I saw that article - basically it says go have someone install it for you!! I did not see the pinout chart hyperlink?

The 22 pin is in the Nakamichi head unit.

The color codes should line up with other models - I would cut the connector and wire to new head unit. You are never going back to the old HU - EVER!

For example in the 16 pin connector I would guess that the Red is Right Rear Speaker (+) and White is Right Rear (-). Same as Nakamichi.

For the 20 pin connector I would look at other versions with wiring codes... I'll dig up something for you.

I appreciate that RobRed! I don't mind cutting off the existing head unit connector and matching each wire up with the new unit - I assume their would be a match for each wire.

I plan on calling Crutchfield to see what insight they might provide. It's funny how challenges like these seem difficult - then once you get it done it seems so simple!!

I also need to figure out the amp wiring since the factory amp will be replaced.

FYI I purchased the head unit for my 99lc and crutchfield does not have a master sheet for it. You should check if they do for your year/model.
If they don't IMO there isn't a strong reason to order from them.

That being said , If the 16 yr old kid at the stereo store can figure it out so can you !

Based on the look of it the 16 pin connector matches (s6)

http://tlcfaq.com/main/2012/05/land-cruiser-lx-470-stereo-wiring/

Speaker leads from amplifier to speakers:
Front Left + Pink
Front Left – Purple
Front Right + Lime Green
Front Right – Blue
Rear Left + Black becoming Red at speaker
Rear Left – Yellow becoming White at speaker
Rear Right + Red
Rear Right - White
Sub Left + Blue/White
Sub Left – Blue/Yellow
Sub Right + Blue/Black
Sub Right – Blue/Red

The 20 Pin looks similar to the LC connector (R36) but the pins are out of sync...but the colors look identical. You should be able to cross ref from my blog and determine the function.

Updated: Use this at your own risk. The colors I identified conform to other LC's / LX's. Test to confirm

1 +B (blue/yellow)
2 Beep (green)
5 ???? (red/white) probably Signal RR +
7 Mute Amp (orange)
8 ???? (pink) probably Signal FL +
9 Signal Ground (black)
11 Acc + (gray)
12 Illumination + (white/green)
13 Antenna + (black/red)
15 Amp + (red/black)
18 ???? (violet) probably Signal RL +
19 ???? (yellow) probably Signal FR +
20 Ground (brown)

Last edited:
Thanks RobRed - I appreciate your assistance! Here you go - top and bottom shots.

So I can cut off the existing connector and connect each wire to the corresponding new head unit wires.

What about the factory amp? I am also going to put in a new Alpine amp.

radio connector bottom.jpg

radio connector.jpg

Last edited:
GA470 - What amp are you using? Will you be installing in the stock location under the pass seat? Will you be removing the OEM amp?

I replaced the amp and HU in my 99LC. I removed the old amp, tied some of the wires together as per instructions on RobRed's page (the HU power, acc, ground and illumination wires all ran through the amp). You will then be able to reuse the stock speaker wire and remote amp turn on wire. You will have to run a new power wire fused from the battery to the amp, and a new larger ground.

You'll also have to run RCA cables from the new HU to the amp. (there might be a way around this using the OEM line level inputs, but I believe your signal quality would suffer and therefor you'd want to run new RCAs anyway).

GA470 - What amp are you using? Will you be installing in the stock location under the pass seat? Will you be removing the OEM amp?

I replaced the amp and HU in my 99LC. I removed the old amp, tied some of the wires together as per instructions on RobRed's page (the HU power, acc, ground and illumination wires all ran through the amp). You will then be able to reuse the stock speaker wire and remote amp turn on wire. You will have to run a new power wire fused from the battery to the amp, and a new larger ground.

You'll also have to run RCA cables from the new HU to the amp. (there might be a way around this using the OEM line level inputs, but I believe your signal quality would suffer and therefor you'd want to run new RCAs anyway).

Your spot on fireball! I went ahead and ordered the new head unit and amp from Sonic Electronix and they suggested everything you stated, run new power source from battery and run rca cables from headunit to new amp. They are also including a Metra 70-8113 wiring harness - should only have to connect the power sources I guess.

I decided on the Alpine IVE-W535HD head unit and the Alpine PDX-F4 amp.
Should be sounding sweet in about a week!!

Pins 1, 7, 11, 12, 13, 15 and 20 are your only concerns for your setup.

Updated above pins in Post 9.

Thanks again RobRed! I did find this info on line to also use as a reference for the wire color designation.

2001 Lexus LX470 Car Stereo Wiring Guide
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Blue/Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Gray
Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Green/White
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Black/Red
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Black/Red
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Violet
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Black
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): White

This is for a premium type radio - notice the +/- for each signal connection. This is the 22 pin connection shown on my website.

Thanks again RobRed! I did find this info on line to also use as a reference for the wire color designation.

2001 Lexus LX470 Car Stereo Wiring Guide
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Blue/Yellow
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Gray
Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Green/White
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Black/Red
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: Black/Red
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Violet
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Black
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): White

GA - not sure if you ordered your amp wiring kit yet, but I ran 4# wire from my aux battery to the amp location under the pass seat. I couldn't find an easy convenient way to get through the firewall. You might want to check and see if there is an easy way or not.

I ran the wire from the aux battery area down along the AC lines that run along the frame rail to the back of the car. There are a few grommets near the pass seat area that you can bring the wire up through. I chose to drill a hole and use a firewall bushing/grommet right where the amp will be.

Your RCA runs will be very short, but your power wire run pretty long, especially if you go the route I went. Just giving you a heads up in case you haven't ordered all those bits yet.

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

Alternatively you can use the factory grommet in the firewall and bring the power in to the amp via the passenger door sill channel.

This is what I did for my Blue Sea fuse panel installed. It worked well.

Where did you guys pull wires through?

I ran 3x 4#wire: power for the amp and power and ground for the rear aux panel, so this probably wouldn't have worked for me, but if the OP is only bringing one 4# power through your way will be easier.

IMG_0637.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom