'01 Jetta Diesel Won't Crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
If the timing belt on an 01 Jetta diesel breaks, does it bend all the valves? I found a Jetta that won't crank for really cheap and I'm wondering how big of a problem it might be. Also, I wondered if someone could tell me what other problems might I run into? It's got 160,000 miles.

Thanks for the help! :)

It is an interference engine. If the timing belt breaks the very least you will need to do is remove the head and do an inspection. You may very well have some bent valves and at worst a hole in one or more pistons.

There is not really a lot that goes wrong with these engines. The intake manifold gets clogged up with carbon deposits that will restrict your incoming air to the point where you have a huge decrease in power. It can be cleaned in an afternoon though if you have a few wrenching skills and some tools.

The best source for TDI info is Fred's TDI Page. TDIClub.com. VW TDI Enthusiast Community. It is the mud of the tdi world.

I have two jetta tdi's. A '99 (for sale) and a '06.

Yeah, it's a hella interference engine. If the belt breaks it can destroy the entire engine (bent rods, top ring lands crushed, mangled head....)

Other problems: stuck VNT, stuck serp belt tensioner, bad auto trannies...

I would only buy one w/ a barfed engine for the salvage value. Anymore than that and you can end up very upside down in repair costs.

Jim is right. Last year my 2000 TDi timing tensioner went out after 30k miles. The belt slipped a few teeth. The engine still ran, but one of the pistons slapped a few valves. Long story short, the lower end and pistons came out fine, but the head was toast. I had quotes of $4k for the work. I had Karma TDI do it for around $2500 for the new head, all new timing stuff and a few other odds and ends. Yeah I could have done it for a lot less myself, but I had even less time than money right then. You used to be able to pick up tdi motors for around $1500, but last year I couldn't find anything less than $3k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom