Driving Light Comparison - Australian 4WD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guess I shouldn't toss my Hella 4000s then?

M

A couple of my mates run Lightforce 240s. I'm thinking of getting some 240XGTs to replace my IPFs. I've noticed though that the guys that have the 240s seem to have more cooling problems then the guys in the club that don't. I don't know if this is coincidence or if the big lights do actually restrict the airflow into the radiator. Has anybody else noticed this or is it just me jumping to conclusions?

:cheers:Mick

Mike S said:
Guess I shouldn't toss my Hella 4000s then?M

I liked the light pattern of the 4000s best for the type of driving I do. The HID stuff was amazing...both in price and performance.

Mickldo said:
A couple of my mates run Lightforce 240s. I'm thinking of getting some 240XGTs to replace my IPFs. I've noticed though that the guys that have the 240s seem to have more cooling problems then the guys in the club that don't. I don't know if this is coincidence or if the big lights do actually restrict the airflow into the radiator. Has anybody else noticed this or is it just me jumping to conclusions?

:cheers:Mick

i wouldn't be surprised, what are they like 10" diameter? i think you gotta be smart with where you put em.

Mickldo said:
I've noticed though that the guys that have the 240s seem to have more cooling problems then the guys in the club that don't. I don't know if this is coincidence or if the big lights do actually restrict the airflow into the radiator. Has anybody else noticed this or is it just me jumping to conclusions?

Hmmm... maybe it has to do with putting the big lights in front of a cooling system that is already marginal? Or maybe the lower part of their bumpers don't offer enough air flow? I don't know. I have a pair of 240's mounted right in front of my grill ('98 Tacoma) and they haven't affected cooling at all. Then again, I have good airflow through my bumper to the lower portion of the rad. so maybe that has something to do with it.

I have three Hella 4000s mounted on the cross bar of the ARB bumper on my 80. I have had no cooling issues with this arrangement yet. The ARB seems to pick up a lot of airflow from the lower intake through the bottom half of the bumper.

Have not driven the truck in severe hot weather yet, though.

M

I'm running an ARB winch bar, see avatar. I want to know if two 240s will affect my 80. My cooling system is in good nick but the turbo might affect the cooling in summer. Don't want to spend the money on the 240s if they're wrong for my truck. I know not too many people on this site run turbo diesels let alone with lightforces as well but if there are any here please PM me your opinions.

Mickldo

You might post the question in Diesel section. Bunch of those guys running turbodiesels.

M

If cooling is an issue, why not go with Xenon, smaller with more light.
As well as consuming less power, and longer bulb life. Cost is an issue though, but better safe than sorry.

Re the test: it looks like several of the lights tested were adjusted too low, sending the bulk of the lumen down into the road 10-25 m ahead. That way, some of the lights get an unfair advantage.

great article...thanks for the post

can vouch for the effectiveness of the Liteforce 170's -- bright is an understatement -- these suckers light up the night like aircraft landing lights. can only imagine what a pair of 240's would do....

-db-

Minor Hijack:

I can't seem to find replacement bulbs for Lightforce lights anywhwere but online in Oz. Which is a long ways away for some lightbulbs!

Anyone have a USA source? or better yet (but unlikely) one in Costa Rica!?!?

:)

Thanks!

sandcruiser said:
Minor Hijack:

I can't seem to find replacement bulbs for Lightforce lights anywhwere but online in Oz. Which is a long ways away for some lightbulbs!

Anyone have a USA source? or better yet (but unlikely) one in Costa Rica!?!?

:)

You can find replacement bulbs online at many places, they are standard Osram bi-pin bulbs. A good lighting shop might also carry them or maybe even medical supply places, but so far I've found ebay is probably the cheapest place to get them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/18-Osram-Haloge...ryZ20706QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

An advantage with the lightforces is you have a much larger bulb selection to choose from. You're not limited to 55,65, or 100w bulbs. You can have a range of 20W up to 400W(<only if you run multiple batteries). be warned though, the reflectors on the 240's will start to melt after a prolonged period. It's like having a mini-sun on the front of your car.

uHu said:
Re the test: it looks like several of the lights tested were adjusted too low, sending the bulk of the lumen down into the road 10-25 m ahead. That way, some of the lights get an unfair advantage.

Sometimes lights don't photograph very realistically. A light with more side spill will look significantly brighter in the foreground than one that is more focused, even if pointed at the exact same spot. In actual use, the difference isn't as bright as the pictures show, the long distance shots are a more realistic comparison.

I have some 9in hid spot ligths and they are great. They have life time on them I THINK. from lazer stars. Makes nigth look like day :D

IMG_8263.jpg

IMG_8262.jpg

anyone elses run this kind ?

I'm currently using the 50w for my lightforce 240 instead of 100w. sandcruiser I have few extras so if 50w is ok with you, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom