Spare mount inside the cargo area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody have pics or design of a spare tire mount in the inside of the cargo area on their 60? I have enough room to put a 35X12.50 in there I bet, and whatever space I loose would be made up by the roof rack and it would save big $$ on a rear bumper/carrier system. I know SOR sells one but not sure if it could hold a 12.50 or what its construction is like (I have heard good and bad about it).

I haven't seen one. If you have a roof rack though, why not just put it up there?

I have one I'll sell you if you're interested. I bought it used, but I think it's the SOR one or very very similar. It held a 33x10.5x15 on a steel wheel just fine despite some intense wheeling. $20 plus shipping. PM me if you're interested.

ColoradoLC said:
I haven't seen one. If you have a roof rack though, why not just put it up there?

I have it in the roof rack now. Get tired of it being up there when I have to get it down. I dont like to have too much weight up there either.

I carried my spare on the roof for a while - I could REALLY feel the weight up there and it made me uncomfortable when wheeling.

yooper said:
I carried my spare on the roof for a while - I could REALLY feel the weight up there and it made me uncomfortable when wheeling.

And I figure I can put lighter stuff in the roof rack (tents, bags and such). The roof rack is not light as it is, and a bigger spare in there makes it worse.

After this happened, the owner of this truck sold his roof rack to me because he felt it made his pig too top heavy. I later sold the roof rack to someone else because I didn't like how heavy it was. Then I bought the truck that's in the picture and it's my current wheeling rig.

55%20resting%202.jpg

mbb -
that looks great. any better shots of the floor brackets? do you just have a rubber cap where the tubing meets the windows?
jason

That is nice setup. That tire just looks huge in there. I don't like how it covers the back window but then again on the bumper it would block the back window. The driver side is the way to go in the back.

NocalFJ60 said:
That is nice setup. That tire just looks huge in there. I don't like how it covers the back window but then again on the bumper it would block the back window. The driver side is the way to go in the back.

If you're light, yes. If you're pushing 220 lbs like me, you want it on the passenger side to balance out the weight. That's a mistake I made when we build my custom rear bumper, put it on the driver's side for visibility. Now my Cruiser leans on the driver's side.

i had one of the one's sor used to sell...hated it
poorly designed and even stock size tire rubbed teh window. also, takes up a lot of room.

Too top heavy

I have 33 x 12.50's on my 62. Had my spare mounted on the roof rack and it felt way to top heavy even when I was taking a turn or going around a bend in the road.
Had a rear bumper fabricated w/ spare tire mount. Like that much better.

nuclearlemon said:
i had one of the one's sor used to sell...hated it
poorly designed and even stock size tire rubbed teh window. also, takes up a lot of room.

Oh yeah. stinky, I forgot about the window rubbing issue. I stuck two lengths of 2x4 wood behind the tire vertically, which moved it out from the side panel a bit and prevented window rubbing. You can't see the wood in there and it worked fine, but it's kinda booty fabbish.

A spare back there definitely takes up too much room for me. That's why I'm not using my SOR carrier any more.

yooper said:
Oh yeah. stinky, I forgot about the window rubbing issue. I stuck two lengths of 2x4 wood behind the tire vertically, which moved it out from the side panel a bit and prevented window rubbing. You can't see the wood in there and it worked fine, but it's kinda booty fabbish.

A spare back there definitely takes up too much room for me. That's why I'm not using my SOR carrier any more.

I am trying to debate, whats worse? The loss of room in the cargo area or having the spare on my roof or the big $$ to do a good bumper/carrier combo.

One thing I like about the 60 is it seems to swallow up a ton of gear in the back, but when leaned over on a side hill I hate having anything up top...

Always something with these rigs...LOL

If you can build your own bumper, then not much $$, but bumper is the best solution for most people. If you're not wheeling your truck, put the spare underneath. A 33" spare will fit.

I want to build or buy a bumper with tire carrier so in the interim, I used a couple of compression straps and took off the interior rear panel and strapped my spare to the steel under the panel. As long as I tighten the straps every couple of months it is fine, and there have been no rubbing/squeaking on the window or anywhere else. The inside of the rig smells like rubber but besides that it is working fine.

I did this with a small ubolt and eye bolt, borrowed from a post months ago about building an inside mount cheaply. I bought the SOR kit from someone on the board but ended up using only the "wing nut." Using an old bushing as a spacer.

Good idea on the 2x4s, Sean. That should get things off the windows nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom