Central American Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't know how cruiserguy can live down there and not go crazy. Every cruiser I saw down in CR was pristine. Just spoted this one on Craigs.

http://costarica.craigslist.org/car/85372325.html

One way Ticket, Passport, and it could be yours.

There are more 'Cruisers further south, but yes, we do see ALOT more here than stateside. If anyone is planning one buying one though I would recommend that you prepare for some repairs as the FJ45LV is a disaster as far as the mechanicals are concerned. I'll be posting some pictures of what I mean in a few days but for starters the steering box was full of grease 'cause the oil seal was gone but whoever worked on it never replaced the shims so they are all bent up and destroyed so I need new shims, the spring pins are not even the right ones so they aren't bolted to the frame, the brake line is patched with electrical tape...

Another Costa Rica truck. You see these quite often down there. I like the factory wood stake-bed with TOYOTA stenciled on with spray paint.

Last edited:
HawkDriver said:
I'll take one ;)

Yea, I'd like one, too. They also have these 70 series tray back pick up trucks that are really cool. Utility companies down there use them. Late models, too.

I would like a pair of those front doors....

thanks for the pic Jim!

5Uzn9v2Yhi3CBJ0tXifpiOWwdFhx.jpg

ummm, thats not a 77, its a 79+ or at least the bib is.

Is it possible to buy a 40 or 45 in CR and drive it back and register and title it in the US?? I would think there would be all kinds of problem$ with making it legal. Anyone done it??

This first one you get pretty cheap I reckon :D Brazil's finest. The green cruiser was immaculate but not for sale.
brazilhomebuilt.jpg
brazilcruiser1.jpg

Landpimp said:
ummm, thats not a 77, its a 79+ or at least the bib is.

Pimp, didn't some of the foreign versions go to the square bezel a couple years before the US imports did in '79?? Seems like every one I've seen with the apron-mounted turn signals had that bib/bezel combo. :confused:

nope, all the same time, or within a month or so.

the 70 turn signals are a popular mod in SA

Landcruisersteve said:
Pimp, didn't some of the foreign versions go to the square bezel a couple years before the US imports did in '79?? Seems like every one I've seen with the apron-mounted turn signals had that bib/bezel combo. :confused:

I was salivating the whole time I was down in Honduras in July. Tons of Cruisers down there from 45s to 100s. Lots of 'em diesel. I even saw a used truck lot that specialized in Troopy amulances such as this one.

"Is it possible to buy a 40 or 45 in CR and drive it back and register and title it in the US?? I would think there would be all kinds of problem$ with making it legal. Anyone done it??"

Yes. I know a guy here in Dallas who just finished a stint in the Peace Corps in Honduras and bought and drove home a "BJ" 40. It's actually an FJ that's been converted to diesel with a B series engine. He's got it for sale, and I saw it last week. It's got a lot of body rust with a see-through floor in some places. But it did make it all the way up from Central America. Yours for $10K. Sorry I don't have a pic.
As for bringing back anything less than 25 years old, check the International section. People have done it, but I'm not exactly sure how. Any truck brought in illegally is subject to seizure and crushing even after it's passed the 25 year mark.

Last edited:
prolly not, at least none of the pictured ones are, the Bandi's say Banderiante on the aprons(stamped)

Brazil has the Bandis, but surely some made it elseware in SA.

hey.......I know some guy with a pic of a real nice bandi with a hot blondi :D

GreenWeeny78 said:
Wouldn't those be Banderiantes?

Landpimp said:
prolly not, at least none of the pictured ones are, the Bandi's say Banderiante on the aprons(stamped)

Brazil has the Bandis, but surely some made it elseware in SA.

hey.......I know some guy with a pic of a real nice bandi with a hot blondi :D
I have not seen ANY so far in Guatemala, Honduras or ElSalvador. I have yet to venture further south but that will come.

Columbia

I was at a meeting yesterday and sketching my cruiser and the guy next to me whips out a pencil and draws me a front and side view of a land cruiser with every little detail. He says he grew up on a sugar planation in Columbia and his father always had a cruiser. He said they were all imports from Japan with a long bed....

Newer Prado's in Costa Rica

Here's some pix of rentals we had last spring down in CR. They are LC Prados, with diesels. They are available here as a Lexus, but not badged as a LC, nor are they diesel. Fun little vehicle. Think I blew out the shocks on mine. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom