87' FJ-60 A/C idle problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new to me 87' FJ-60, it is my first 2F. When I hit the A/C the idle bounces from ~2000 to ~1300 constantly. Would a leak in the intake manifold cause this? I think I have an intake manifold leak a la the carb cleaner spray test. Also, what controls the idle up for the A/C in the FJ-60? I popped the hood and at idle switched on the A/C and watched the throttle linkage go up and down. I am using this motor to pass smog then I am taking it out so I don;t want to buy the FSM but I would like to say that the A/C works if I decide to get rid of it. Any ideas?

There's an adjustment screw at the front of the carb, on the throttle shaft. If you adjust that, it should help slow things down a little. If you're going to pull the motor, it doens't matter anyway - it works, it just needs to be adjusted.

There is also a adj knob under the pass side dash. The top of the knob is blue, try adj that as well. That should help wih the AC, as it controls the idle speed at which the AC comp kicks on.

Zack

I had the same problem on mine. I just pulled the wires to the high idle switch. The switch is located on the side of the washer fluid bottle on the DS inner fender. This may not be the ideal way to fix the problem, but it worked for me and the AC still works fine. Hodag

In addition to the 'A/C pull-up' adjustment (screw on linkage, front of carb).

Your system could be 'just low' of freon.
Enough for system to start; as soon as compressor starts, pressure goes 'just low', compressor turns off. heartbeat later, pressure 'just enough' system turns on.

Pull-up is turned on-off same time as compressor turned on-off . . .

It is most definitely the linkage screw on the front of the carb. You need to back it off probably 2-3 turns. Then you can adjust it so the idle kicks up to about 900-1000 or whatever your preference. You shouldn't have to play with the amplifier under the dash unless the a/c is kicking off at reg. idle speeds. If you are low on freon the a/c light on the dash will either not light up, or will flash.

Well, after changing my alternator the A/C functions properly. Just yesterday I had the 60' idling and I switched on the A/C, same problem the idle would go up and down from 2000-1000 constantly. I by-passed the idle-up soleniod and things worked fine. So I thought it was that. When I bought the 60' it had a bad alternator so I would drive off the battery when I did drive the truck. So today a removed the3 alternator, had it rebuilt and after I installed it the A/C started functioning properly. Does the lack of good power sound like it could be a cause of my problem?

It can; in addition, removing & reinstalling the alt. can improve the 'ground connection' between alt and alt mount...which supplies a better voltage/current control to feed the A/C comp. clutch...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom