ROTW-Big Blue-Iaintscared1969 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well as usual dollar short and a day late. But here goes. Big Blue is a 1983 FJ60 owened by my brother Terry (TPattyII) for the past 6-8 years. I bacame the caretaker of Big Blue after his passing in Jan. The truck came stock with the original 2F. After finding that the truck had no HP he had a shop (that will remain unnamed) perform a 350 swap. The truck never was the same. It never ran right, Sucked gas and in general couldn't go anywhere's. After being parked for 4 months, I eventually moved up to DFW where I began to turn a wrench on her. After a few weeks she was up and running. Big Blue was never meant to be a show truck. All she needed to do was wheel hard and get the family home. Many nights and days were spent keeping her on the road. It seemed like it was always something to do on her to make it go faster and wheel harder. The best question ever posed to me by Terry was while I was fixing the bent tie rod end,"Do we need that, What does it do, and what's for dinner." So after that I knew he was not going to be turning the wrench. Here are the list of mod's are as follows:

350 w/mild cam
Original 4 speed
Holley Projection system
OME suspension 2.5"
MSD 6 series ignition
33.50X12.50 Wranglers on white steelies
and NO EMISSIONS STUFF

Other mods:

Cracked front windshield (canoe accident)
Missing front grille (run in with a bush)
Broken light bezels (same bush)
Dented front drivers fender (TREE!)
Dented rear gate (late night partying)
No A/C (don't need A/C to wheel)
No seatbelts (Terry didn't like them after they quit working)
Dented roof (good place to put the tire)
Doors don't open (because they are ready to fall apart!)

I have most of the parts to bring her back up but that would mean changing the truck from the way Terry left her to me. I may wait awhile.Hell, It even has the 2" of mud from when he got stuck and had Big Tom pull her out with the Dodge. BTW his Dodge had a nice battle scar to prove it.

This is the truck that got me started doing Vortec conversions in cruisers. He had an idea that it would be fun and make a little money. This truck although riden hard and put to bed wet has more memories of us standing over it saying," what's next?" It really isn't the truck that makes it special it is all the memories we have in it and the fun it was to build it and maintain it... Enjoy

I will have to post pics more tonight since I am at work sorry guys.
bigblue1.jpg
bugbluebutt.jpg

Last edited:
Nice story, I would tell you and think many would, but you need to put seatbelts back in. No sense in no thaving seatbelts in a rig that came with them and having the chance of an accident. I look forward to seeing more pics.

Excellent rig! I would definitely recommend putting in some seatbelts though. Why don't you just get a 4 point harness or something and just use the bottom two mounts for a lap belt?

she's beautiful. even as she sits and that's why we love these rigs.

great stories, and yeah I remember TPatty too.:beer:

:beer: great story and a great rig. could you post some info on the v8 swap? adapters used, clearance at the firewall, driveline changes etc.

thanks,

cliNt

Hey Gypsy not a problem if you shoot me an e mail address I will get you the spreadsheet for the install. You can also check out Mrzero's, Paxildog, and gwest vortec threads. They are all done here by me:grinpimp:

But the adapters were all Downey products mainly the bellhousing and the flywheel and clutch. That was the main item and as for firewall clearance it has about 4" from the back of the heads to the wall. It runs the stock radiator with a clutch fan and no shroud. She has the Holley projection which is a sweet little set up. For the 2F guys wanting to go FI i would by the Howell manifold adapter and run the Pro Jection on top. HA no one has tried that one yet!! or maybe they have?! But it would work! Drive lines where reworked and the stock mount relocated. But it is a very basic install without all the computer stuff. If you are on a super tight budget that would be the way to go if HP is all you care about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom