Made a new bumper (front) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I made a new bumper for the front of the tootsie roll.

It's 1-1/2" DOM tubing (.120) wall, plate sections are 1/8" and 3/16". tow/recovery points are 1/2" and go through the bumper to the frame.

there's room for a winch later, and I'm also going to make a hoop for the top over the next few days or so. It will get paint for now and maybe powder coat later when the wallet is good.

I only spent about $70 in materials from the remnant pile at my local metal yard too.

be nice with my welds... and sorry about requests to make one for you, I only did it for the fun of making ONE only:grinpimp: :grinpimp: :grinpimp:

cheers.

newbumper4.jpg

newbumper3.jpg

newbumper1.jpg

Last edited:
I think I like it. Nice work. How long did it take to build?

I think it looks pretty damn good. Let us know how the hoops turnout

Good lookin bumper. And no worries on those welds--they'll clean up fine with a grinding disc (this I know all too well :rolleyes: ).

Update us with pics when you finish it up.

thanks guys!

I spent about a day and ahalf at a buddy's shop (plasma cutter and bender helps a lot) but could have done most of it in the garage too.

Hoop will be probably a single low one that leans forward (sort of pre-runner-ish) for hanging my IPFs on.

I also need to make a mount for a winch eventually too (probably an M8000)

I'll update as I get progress going...

Nice job Philos. It will look way good when it is painted.

Dynosoar :zilla:

as promised, an update:

made the hoop/light bar yesterday with my buddies bender and welded it on this morning.

I still have to make a winch plate, but that will wait until I have a winch first...

I also need to send it out for powder-coating eventually before it gets too rusty.

enjoy.

newbumper7.jpg

newbumper6.jpg

newbumper5.jpg

awesome...can you make me one.....oh, wait.....

Maybe you can send out the measurements of the yours and others can maybe copy the main idea. I know I would like to have a copy of the blueprints.

Maybe you can send out the measurements of the yours and others can maybe copy the main idea. I know I would like to have a copy of the blueprints.

I didn't really have any blueprints. I just had an idea of what I wanted and made it by look/feel. If there are any measurements you'd like, let me know and I'll gladly pass them along. I think the only measurements I did use were for the winch cable opening- there I simply used the measurements off a friends rig (A_R_B with an M8000).

in any case, please feel free to copy away at will.

oh, and cardboard templates helped a lot too.

cheers.

...I think the only measurements I did use were for the winch cable opening- there I simply used the measurements off a friends rig (A_R_B with an M8000).

...you wouldn't happen to have your measurements for the m8000 profile etc would you? I'm interested in making my own front bump and that's what I wanted to use as a winch too.

Any help would be much appreciated! HOT bumper!

I didn't write them down, but I can go out and measure it.

IIRC, it should be 4.5"x18"??? for the mounting points, the drum assembly is 6" tall/deep depending on vertical or horizontal mounting, I gave 9" from the valance to the front of the bumper, I cut the opening 2"x10" and centered at 3" up from where the winch plate will be, and I left most of the area between th frame rails open until I can get a mounting plate in there.

I'll go out and check it later to be sure of what I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom