Tranny Questions ( '94 FZJ80 ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2 questions here I am hoping you can answer ! :)

Number 1 - occasionally ( on cold days ) when I first start the truck and put it in reverse, everything is fine. When I shift to D after I have backed the truck out of the drive, it will barely move. Drop it in low, it moves, and then afterwards put it back in D and no more problems.

I have only noticed this on the first start up - it does not seem to do this afterwards- ?:confused:

Fluid appears to be clean, and at the proper level. No shifting problems, no silpping, no other symptoms so far as I can tell.

Number 2 -

While searching :flipoff2: , I came across a thread that said you should not pull in reverse - like when you are pulling someone out.

I am confused there as on all the American 4 X's the general knowledge ( or general disinformation if that's the case :D ) was that reverse is a lower ratio and so therefore gives you more 'oomph'.

( I love technical terms ! :grinpimp: )

Plus, the 4 X Suburbans I had had tow hooks factory mounted on the front frame rails which made it even easier to hook up for a reverse pull.

Never had any tranny issues caused by doing that, either.

Why would the LC be any different there ?

Thanks for the education !

Britt

Number 2 -

While searching :flipoff2: , I came across a thread that said you should not pull in reverse - like when you are pulling someone out.

I am confused there as on all the American 4 X's the general knowledge ( or general disinformation if that's the case :D ) was that reverse is a lower ratio and so therefore gives you more 'oomph'.

( I love technical terms ! :grinpimp: )

Plus, the 4 X Suburbans I had had tow hooks factory mounted on the front frame rails which made it even easier to hook up for a reverse pull.

Never had any tranny issues caused by doing that, either.

Why would the LC be any different there ?

Thanks for the education !

Britt

I will take a stab at this...
The front axle of the LC is a high pinion, Which makes it very strong going forwad, But when pulling un reverse, It puts alot of stress on the ring and pinion, From what I remember its almost like forcing it apart.
Good luck on your other question.

My 93 FJ80 has less than 25K on it and show the same problem. A neighbor friend who owns a tranny repair shop told me to replace the oil. I asked him why since mine has such a low milleage and oil looks well and he replied that it´s too old and has lost it´s properties.

I will take a stab at this...
The front axle of the LC is a high pinion, Which makes it very strong going forwad, But when pulling un reverse, It puts alot of stress on the ring and pinion, From what I remember its almost like forcing it apart.
Good luck on your other question.

You are absolute right. As I recall when Toyota replaced the FJ-62 with the FJ-80 in our country this was one of the first questions we asked to the factory japanese engineer who was doing the presentation to the press attending the show. We were surprised why they used a quite smaller front diff against the robust 12" FJ-62.

You're not alone! I put this question up last year and never got a clear answer. What I do on a cold day after starting: with your foot on the brake, pull to "D" and wait a few seconds, then push up to "N." Again, after a few seconds or so.....adjust the radio, adjust seatbelt, or pick your nose.. put it back in "D" and go. This works for my 97 with 106 miles on it.

Not sure what to say about pulling in "R" mode. All I ever heard is just say no.

Hearing about the tranny issue more, Could it be the torque converter? I know one of the first things I did with my 80 when I got it home was to change the tranny fluids along with a new filter, However before I did that I ran a can of "Marine clean" tranny cleaner through it, Now I dont know if it helped or not but it surely didnt hurt it.

Number 1 - occasionally ( on cold days ) when I first start the truck and put it in reverse, everything is fine. When I shift to D after I have backed the truck out of the drive, it will barely move. Drop it in low, it moves, and then afterwards put it back in D and no more problems.

Possible #1 shift solenoid hanging up or possible corrosion at the connecTor for the neutral safety switch.

Last edited:
I agree with Brian. I would run some "Marine clean" or another highly recommended product through the tranny. Then after putting a few miles on it completely flush and re-fill the tranny with new fluid. It may not fix the problem, but it certainly wont hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom