slider saga (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, after nearly getting the sliders cleaned up and welded on I decided I'm not happy with how they will be mounted to the frame. The mount plates I started with just don't give me a warm fuzzy and I have zero desire to repair my frame later on. I have decided to cut off the current plates and try and score some large angle iron or box tube and remake the mounts that will be the same height as the frame and wrap under the bottom as well.

I know I'm a PITA but does anyone have the time to assist with the welding side of the equation? :eek:

I'm dropping them off at Lorac today to be blasted or gassed to remove the rust then running to the Yard to see if I can score some clean metal that I can use for the new mounts.

Despite the money $$$ saved this has been a pain in the butt :doh:. I have learned several lessons :idea: on this project that I hope never to repeat.

Well, after nearly getting the sliders cleaned up and welded on I decided I'm not happy with how they will be mounted to the frame. The mount plates I started with just don't give me a warm fuzzy and I have zero desire to repair my frame later on. I have decided to cut off the current plates and try and score some large angle iron or box tube and remake the mounts that will be the same height as the frame and wrap under the bottom as well.

I know I'm a PITA but does anyone have the time to assist with the welding side of the equation? :eek:

I'm dropping them off at Lorac today to be blasted or gassed to remove the rust then running to the Yard to see if I can score some clean metal that I can use for the new mounts.

Despite the money $$$ saved this has been a pain in the butt :doh:. I have learned several lessons :idea: on this project that I hope never to repeat.

what length box tube are you looking at using?
i have some scrap 2x4x.120 i could give you, not sure what lengths i have.

let me know, i'd be happy to help.

;)

Well, I built the sliders out of 2"x2"x.25" (I know, serious over kill) and the mount plates are/were 3.5"x6.0"x.25" laid down lengthwise. After looking things over last night I'm not comfortable with the size of the mount plates. I really don't want to hammer a rock in Moab only to cave in the frame so I'm going to change the plates so they wrap under the frame and up the sides. Something like 6"x4" angle iron cut down to 6"x2.375" is what I'm aimig for.

Well, I built the sliders out of 2"x2"x.25" (I know, serious over kill) and the mount plates are/were 3.5"x6.0"x.25" laid down lengthwise. After looking things over last night I'm not comfortable with the size of the mount plates. I really don't want to hammer a rock in Moab only to cave in the frame so I'm going to change the plates so they wrap under the frame and up the sides. Something like 6"x4" angle iron cut down to 6"x2.375" is what I'm aimig for.

i don't think you'll cave the frame, your slider will rest against the rocker first.
i believe the slider will distribute the weight all along the rocker with no issues.
if anything run the plates verticly.

let's see if this will show up:
slidermount.gif
Sorry for the 2D, Word isn't that great and my ACAD isn't installed. At any rate the plates will be 5.5x5.5 and the bottoms where available to fit will be 2.75x5.5. As much as it would be nice to bend them the bend radius would be too large and not fit well. This is what I figured would work much better and the .25" plate was much easier to locate than 6x4x.25 angle. Heck all they had in the major dimensions was .5" thick web minimum, I'd need the Slee 6" lift to keep it from dragging on the ground. I agree that the slider will rest on the body seam but I'm not that confident it would keep from wrinkling the frame a little. Originally I was going to bolt the sliders on through the frame and the plates weren't wide enough to use vertically. That should have been when I thought about this.

When I was looking for angle iron, I found some stuff at the Yard 3/8". I didn't get it, but you wouldn't need to cut off the runner (that attaches to the bottom of the frame) would you? Could you use the extra as mounting points for custom skids so you don't have to drill into the frame?

Nevermind, I just reread your above post regarding the angle iron. I had considered a c-channel that encapsilates the inner, outer, and bottom of the frame. Let me know when you need help.

Last edited:

Zane has some pretty good pics in his slider thread - we built both sets with the same design.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=133728&highlight=slider

Have any pics of yours? How does your bracket design compare? I beat the crap outta mine a few weeks ago and didn't do anything other than scrape the paint off. The brackets hang down 1"+ below the frame but with the rounded edges and heavy plate they handled the rocks well.

K.,
Lemme know if ya need weldin dun. Ain't got nuthin much goin till possible thurs. But even then might be to dang muddy ta mess with. Hope ya got my ph #, prolly won't be back on here till next week.
C Ya, Don

Don,

Don't have your number. Thanks for the offer but the current plan is to have Poser weld them on in between gear swaps.

How's retirement treatin you?

Okie Dokie.
Will pm ya the numbrs.
Retarment is everthin it's crakd up ta be. Hope everbody gits er dun...

C Ya, Don

Finally got my sh*t welded on. Steve burned them on while I was up north doing the gear swap. Here's some pics pre painting the frame.
124-2443_IMG.jpg
124-2436_IMG.jpg
124-2435_IMG.jpg
124-2437_IMG.jpg
124-2438_IMG.jpg
124-2439_IMG.jpg

thank you sir. :)

They are quit overkill and heavy. It was a learning experience as far as the frame mounting. I'm looking forward to putting them to use out in Moab in May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom