Vacum hose for a 2f, how much and what size. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I want to replace all the vacuum lines on my FJ60 with a stock 2F and all the smog. Whats the best hose to buy and from where. Also how much do I need and what size. I'd like to have black, I'm not into the reds or blue hoses.

Thanks for any input.

Well I posted to soon and found my answer in 'search'. But thought of something related. The VSS valves...can they or should they be cleaned in some soapy water? thanks again.

For hose you want either McMaster-Carr or BoostController Vacuum Silicone Rubber line. I believe the standard is 3mm and 6mm line but most have gotten away with 5mm ID line in place of the 6mm ID (which inadvertently ends up being like $.50 cheaper a foot or something like that).

Although there are some existing threads mentioning McMaster silicon tubing for vacuum hose replacement, a few of them mention either the wrong size or the wrong PN. Also some variants have different O.D.s ...

So..
If McMaster-Carr silicon tubing is chosen, THESE are the part numbers for the correct (black) hose:

(Big hose for distributor VCV venting and HIC vacuum source)
PN: 5041K74
Metric High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Tubing, Semisoft, 6 mm
ID, 10 mm OD, Opaque Black,
---------------------------------

(The rest of the smaller vacuum hose spaghetti)
PN: 5041K521
(same hose as 5041K52)
Metric High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Tubing, Semisoft, 3 mm
ID, 8 mm OD, Opaque Black

10 ft of the big stuff and 40 ft of the small stuff is plenty for the whole engine bay & will give you some extra if you mess up a cut.

Last edited:
Good info and about to order up some new Vacuum lines for my 1985 FJ60. Noticed that the main line coming off my Dizzy is all cracked and pretty much shot. Getting ready to order 10' of the big- 6mm and 50' of the small 3mm lines from McMaster. Total cost $91 before shipping. Just a quick question to all whom have replaced all the vacuum lines.

My 85 FJ60 is NOT desmog'd.
  • With that being said I was curious how much time this will take or how long my truck will be out of commission?
  • I have read some have used 5mm. Should I go with 6mm or 5mm?

Today its getting a little colder here in KC and my truck seemed to idle a bit lower/rougher, hence me poking around when I noticed the main vacuum line coming off the Dizzy was all cracked and barley hanging on. Not sure if this has anything to do with the lower poor idle or not, but it got me motivated to complete this I assume tedious task!

Thanks all!

couple hours, maybe? and 0 down time if you just replace one hose at a time, which you ought to do anyway to avoid mis-routing a line.

^^
This

You don't have to do it all at once if you're pressed for time. Just replace one hose at a time.

When replacing the short little pieces of vac hose that connect to the BVSV temp sensors on the thermostat housing, cut the old hose in half with a razor, then very carefully slice it lengthwise so it will peel off easily from the plastic BVSV nipples.
These two pieces of short hose are the most dangerous (and tricky) to remove and replace.

Those BVSV nipples are now very fragile and brittle and break all the time when guys try to yank off the hose. The BVSVs are no longer available new.

Apply a little dab of lubricant (spit?) to the ends of those short pieces so they slide on the BVSV nipples easily.

5041K74
is the correct size hose for the dissy venting. I just installed it.

Check the function of the distributor venting VCV clipped to the bottom of the air cleaner.

When they fail, they often create a vacuum leak.

Distributor cap vent VCV issue

Last edited:
Although there are some existing threads mentioning McMaster silicon tubing for vacuum hose replacement, a few of them mention either the wrong size or the wrong PN. Also some variants have different O.D.s ...

So..
If McMaster-Carr silicon tubing is chosen, THESE are the part numbers for the correct (black) hose:

(Big hose for distributor VCV venting and HIC vacuum source)
PN: 5041K74
Metric High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Tubing, Semisoft, 6 mm
ID, 10 mm OD, Opaque Black,
---------------------------------

(The rest of the smaller vacuum hose spaghetti)
PN: 5041K521
(same hose as 5041K52)
Metric High-Temperature Silicone Rubber Tubing, Semisoft, 3 mm
ID, 8 mm OD, Opaque Black

10 ft of the big stuff and 40 ft of the small stuff is plenty for the whole engine bay & will give you some extra if you mess up a cut.

We need to sticky this. Can't tell you how many times a week I have this conversation.

• I recently did this and didn't order enough hose (I only got 30' of the 3mm and 10' of the 5mm) so definitely get at least 50' of the 3mm
  • 10' of the 5mm may be enough - I haven't finished all mine yet
  • I ordered the hose from boostcontroller.com and it's pretty awesome compared to the crusty old hose - I went with the red...
  • The 5mm seems to fit great - I never suspected I might need anything larger.
Thoughts/Tips:
  • Start on the passenger side - that's the easy side!
  • Agreeing with the above post about the short hoses on the BVSV's - I broke it on the very first one I tried to replace. The top BVSV (#1) ain't cheap to replace (cost me around $40) and BVSV2 is discontinued :skull: - be super careful and yes, cut the hose off
  • As you get around to the driver's side the number of hoses starts to get ridiculous!
  • At one point there's like 18 all smushed together - at that point doing them one at a time is tough since some are under others etc.
  • A friend just gave me an awesome idea which I plan to do - but a multi pack of cheap nail polish and when you get to that point, put a matching dot of color on either end as you remove hoses (not on the hose, but on the connection points) - for times where you kinda need to do more than one at a time - genius!

get the OEM stuff..........really

this 600mm length will do 80% of the hoses, under $2. You will need a few longer(more $) hoses, Beno I am sure can hook you up.

don't ask me how much it takes.....its cheap, buy a crap load. I have a banker box full......

you can still get the larger diameter hose that goes to the dizzy, sure i have that laying around

get a new elbow for the charcoal canister, the part that goes to the solenoid, its cheap and torn by now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom