95 4RUNNER sr5 - leaking rear diff abs sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey -

somewhat new to the thread. found it when i bought new to me 97 lx-450.

Trying to fix my wife's old beater and I made the mistake of not leaving the rear abs sensor alone. It was fully seized and took loads of work to get out. Finally did get it out and definitely took some chunks out of the side of the sensor hole. I have torqued all three bolts up (fill, drain, and sensor bolt) but am having some leaks! First thought was the compression washer so I bought a couple to replace, but there is fluid all over the top of the diff. I'm now wondering if the chunks of metal i took are causing the leak.

Should I just slap a ton of RTV on the sensor and seat it with that? I would put some JB weld in the gashes, but its a pain to get to and do it right. gashes are probably 1/8 wide by 1/2 inch thick above a half inch down the hole. Made from drilling a steel screw into the sensor and it grabbed the side of the hole. I will put the new compression washers on when they get here, but seriously think the leak is coming from above.

TYIA!

IMG_7923.jpeg

IMG_7918.jpeg
IMG_7867.jpeg

The first is the new sensor with oil ontop of the diff. The second is the carnage shortly before getting it out.

it seals and n an oring there. if the bore is too bad for the oring to do its job, you'll need a bigger ring or rtv to seal.

what does that bore actually look like.

Can you drill it and sleeve it? Maybe pull the other side out and measure the hole it goes into. You could probably have a machinist make you up a sleeve. You could always try FIPG but I think it will ultimately leak…

it seals and n an oring there. if the bore is too bad for the oring to do its job, you'll need a bigger ring or rtv to seal.

what does that bore actually look like.
IMG_7929.jpeg

Heres a shot. A bit worse than I thought. Slapped a ton of rtv on it and going to give it a try.

Can you drill it and sleeve it? Maybe pull the other side out and measure the hole it goes into. You could probably have a machinist make you up a sleeve. You could always try FIPG but I think it will ultimately leak…
Thats a decent idea. What do you mean pull the other side out? And what is FIPG, sorry new to a lot of this.

Like use the other unmolested abs sensor hole as a guide to know what size sleeve you would potentially need. FIPG - Toyotas take on RTV. It’s better, trust me. I wonder if you could throw JB weld in the voids and sand it to match the rest of the hole… sounds ghetto but might be worth a try

I guess pulling the other sensor is out of the question seeing that’s how you got into this predicament to begin with lol.

I guess pulling the other sensor is out of the question seeing that’s how you got into this predicament to begin with lol.
IIRC there's only one ABS sensor on these - directly on the rear diff. Aren't any on the wheels.

Ahhh yes you are absolutely correct. Clean the crap out of it, FIPG it really good, let it set for a day and run it. Let us know what happens

Well -

Took her for a drive after the RTV cured. So far so good. No leaks. Will check in the morning and see if there any drops on the cardboard. Hopefully not.

Update -

No leaks. Seems to be working like a charm almost a month later.

However, the whiney squeaker speedo cable came back and then totally disappeared. CEL, no odo or speedo. I regreased the cable and took the speedo gear in the cluster out and cleaned it. I think its shot. Located a spare cluster from a pick and pull nearby. Will probably go with it, but wondering if there are any aftermarket solutions people have liked. This is a brand new speedo cable (OEM). Sick of this problem and want a longer term fix for this daily driver.

TYIA!

Update -

No leaks. Seems to be working like a charm almost a month later.

However, the whiney squeaker speedo cable came back and then totally disappeared. CEL, no odo or speedo. I regreased the cable and took the speedo gear in the cluster out and cleaned it. I think its shot. Located a spare cluster from a pick and pull nearby. Will probably go with it, but wondering if there are any aftermarket solutions people have liked. This is a brand new speedo cable (OEM). Sick of this problem and want a longer term fix for this daily driver.

TYIA!
So I got a "new" Cluster in there.

Took the gear out of the TC, looked good no signs of wear. Spun it while cable was attached to speedo and gear. Was registering both odo and speed. Drove the sucker and still nothing!!

Anyone have any other ideas? Lubed the crap out of the cable with graphite lube

if you spun it from the case end and it worked id say the case drive is damaged.
not really sure how that's possible, but literally the only thing that would match your issue.

have you had the rear flange off recently?
i guess possibly that ball could have fallen out and the speedo gear isn't spinning.

if you spun it from the case end and it worked id say the case drive is damaged.
not really sure how that's possible, but literally the only thing that would match your issue.

have you had the rear flange off recently?
i guess possibly that ball could have fallen out and the speedo gear isn't spinning.
No i have never entered the rear flange.

I verified i did not damage the cable too by removing the dash jacking up rear and getting the cable to spin.

maybe it needs to be driven for a couple miles to really engage? Test drive was very brief but i floored it and had nothing.

A little update on the Speedo situation (which I feel I need to update because the amount of clear info on the subject is scarce on the internet) -

I went ahead and pulled the gear out for photos to reference and in the event I decide to buy another give that a go. Some small burs on the end of the gear so maybe there’s a little wear. I saw that the metal sleeve it sits in had some gunk in the left over threads and I decided to pull that and clean it up. I then reinstalled everything and tightened the cable down as far as I could. The result? The Speedo and odo are working for the quick drive I took around the block. Maybe the cable just wasn’t seated deep enough in the TC and so I wasn’t engaging the gears? Time will tell but im skeptically optimistic.

Lastly - anyone have a part number for this? 95 sr5 auto trans 3.0L

IMG_8244.jpeg

IMG_8246.jpeg

I think @gnob was referring to the gear that drives that gear in your pic. I have had a T-case that had been put together wrong somehow and that gear was damaged. Or the ball gets lost and it stops spinning.
1712033596187.png

I just noticed you have 3.0 with auto trans. This is RF1A gear drive T-case. Maybe you have similar setup in yours. You get the idea.
Thanks for all the info.

I'd be surprised if this was the issue considering its never been opened up. I am hoping that speedo cable was not seated far enough into the gear to recieve the spin... Not sure how it makes sense but its still working today. Will monitor it and report back.

I've had mine not seat in the speedo end. Could have sworn it clicked it but it didn't. I went through what you are. Was pretty frustrating. Good luck. I hope you got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom